Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Nea hot water system - options?

Golden Member

Default Nea hot water system - options?

I have a Rheem Stellar 360 Gas Water Heater which I think will soon need replacing.

I could just put in another but any other ideas? or rivals to it?

On mains gas , in the suburbs, dont have solar panels yet

I have used the Aquamax on a couple of occasions in the past, the main point of difference for me was the stainless steel tank.

4K Club Member

Without a doubt, stainless is best but of course costs more up front but saves changing anodes every 5 years.

In 72 I built my first home and installed a 125 l electric which was extremely costly to run.
    In 76 I installed an LP G storage unit, again costly to run
    In about 79-80 I installed a Solarhart 300 litre solar thermosyphon (tank on roof) and in 2015 in that same property I installed a new Rinnai 300 litre thermosyphon which is still there.

Solar hot water used to be good but poor manufacturing ( caps on the tank ends popping in 5 years) coupled with rising install costs along with Richard Kranium the Plumber who does not know how to work on a tile roof without causing leaks, have put it out of the ball park

My best advice with gas getting more expensive (not sure what it is like over there) is install a quality 5-10 kw of solar power and a Rheem stainless steel electric heater of the necessary size.
    Of course if money is tight then go with a rheem stellar same as you have or even a cheaper unit. (shop the price around).

Here on the coast we still have 3.25 kw of solar power and a 315 litre stainless solar water heater which is doing the job.
    We pay no power costs even though the energy supplier is only paying us 10 cents/kwh for our solar power.
    Of course when the solar hot water dies hopefully someone else will be living here.

Golden Member

How much do you need to restrict your showering ?

Time of Day: can you not have a shower at 10pm or 5am or if you can limited to what is left in the tank from hours earlier when the sun was out? as opposed to gas where 24/7 you can shower with the full temp

Golden Member

My best advice with gas getting more expensive (not sure what it is like over there) is install a quality 5-10 kw of solar power and a Rheem stainless steel electric heater of the necessary size.
    Of course if money is tight then go with a rheem stellar same as you have or even a cheaper unit. (shop the price around).

Time of Day: can you not have a shower at 10pm or 5am or if you can limited to what is left in the tank from hours earlier when the sun was out? as opposed to gas where 24/7 you can shower with the full temp

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by DaleBlack View Post

Assuming you are asking about solar hot water I have already said it is no longer viable.

2K Club Member

Here in WA go solar...
    Definitely not a Sola Hart it's garbage now.
    I had a Solakleen trouble free for 16 years, then needed a part no longer available.
    3-4 years ago the guys that came to fix the old one then replaced with a newbie, paid the $300 extra for stainless tank.
    9 months of the year or so no booster on. I have a timer so it runs for a couple of hours early am in the dead of winter to ensure hot showers in the morning..
    Come summer I need to cover 1 of the 2 panels..
    In my case the guys that sold it to me installed power and plumbed it in with no dramas.
    All year round we can shower whenever we like. 300 litres of hot water is plenty...
    And.....your point is.....what exactly?

Solar hot water is normally gas boosted, ie water is heated via gas instantaneous heater if the water in the tank is not hot enough.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Solar hot water is normally gas boosted, ie water is heated via gas instantaneous heater if the water in the tank is not hot enough.
    Really ???????

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Really ???????
    Down here it is, how is it configured up there ???

4K Club Member

Down here it is, how is it configured up there ???
    Split system (which I have never thought much of ) mostly electric boost

Split system (which I have never thought much of ) mostly electric boost
    So either of those options as an instantaneous boost after the solar storage tank ??

Have only ever seen those technologies used to heat the storage not as boosters after. Learn something everyday.

4K Club Member

I understand your idea of boost is not the same up here.
    We only use boost to the storage tank not as an add on.
    Of course I have been out of the main stream for many years so things may have changed.

From what I have seen of solar hot water installs these days which are mostly split systems, the electricity is permanently on to the storage tank which is actually required to stop legionnaires.
    In Qld solar is very effective due to climate and as in the north of Au boosting is hardly ever used.

I have always found thermosyphon electric boost units to be the most effective and easiest for a homeowner to handle.
    Any I installed I always got the sparky to place a switch with pilot light in a prominent position in the home whereas most installers simply left the control in the meter box.
    But as I said above, I don't believe they are viable any more due to increased cost as opposed to solar power.

I understand your idea of boost is not the same up here.
    We only use boost to the storage tank not as an add on.
    Of course I have been out of the main stream for many years so things may have changed.

From what I have seen of solar hot water installs these days which are mostly split systems, the electricity is permanently on to the storage tank which is actually required to stop legionnaires.
    In Qld solar is very effective due to climate and as in the north of Au boosting is hardly ever used.

I have always found thermosyphon electric boost units to be the most effective and easiest for a homeowner to handle.
    Any I installed I always got the sparky to place a switch with pilot light in a prominent position in the home whereas most installers simply left the control in the meter box.
    But as I said above, I don't believe they are viable any more due to increased cost as opposed to solar power.
    Thanks for explaining the difference,
    Looks like we Mexicans do things different ��

Golden Member

https://blog.rheem.com.au/blog/what-...water-heaters/

What about

Gas Continuous Flow:
    • If you have a number of people in your household using hot water at the same time of day (e.g. morning showers), continuous flow is a good choice as it heats water on demand.
    • Typically, gas continuous flow water heaters deliver hot water at lower pressure than storage. However, with the Rheem Q Factor, you can run multiple taps without loss of pressure.
    • Gas instantaneous hot water system is up to 7 star money saving energy efficiency, compact, aesthetically pleasing, no issues with Legionnaires’ disease, and best of all they have a continuous flow of hot water that never runs out

vs storage?

one negative seems to be lower pressure based on this "Typically, gas continuous flow water heaters deliver hot water at lower pressure than storage. However, with the Rheem Q Factor, you can run multiple taps without loss of pressure" - but in reality does the pressure equal storage even with units that attempt to make up for it

4K Club Member

https://blog.rheem.com.au/blog/what-...water-heaters/

What about

Gas Continuous Flow:
    • If you have a number of people in your household using hot water at the same time of day (e.g. morning showers), continuous flow is a good choice as it heats water on demand.
    • Typically, gas continuous flow water heaters deliver hot water at lower pressure than storage. However, with the Rheem Q Factor, you can run multiple taps without loss of pressure.
    • Gas instantaneous hot water system is up to 7 star money saving energy efficiency, compact, aesthetically pleasing, no issues with Legionnairesí disease, and best of all they have a continuous flow of hot water that never runs out

vs storage?
    Instantaneous will win every time.

Golden Member

Instantaneous will win every time.
    Okay, on nearly all factors?

Energy use and cost
    Durability
    Multiple showers
    what about pressure?

Any specific models you would recomend?

Okay, on nearly all factors?

Energy use and cost
    Durability
    Multiple showers
    what about pressure?

Any specific models you would recomend?

A couple of points to remember with instantaneous is that gas demand is greater and most likely require replacement of the supply pipe, distance from the gas meter will reflect the cost of doing this.
    And no power = no hot water. Yes there are self powered igniters but these create more drop in pressure.

Not trying to say donít fit one, there are a great solution in most instances.
    I used the Bosch brand, model will depend on your supply requirements. Donít upsize just because bigger is better.

Golden Member

A couple of points to remember with instantaneous is that gas demand is greater and most likely require replacement of the supply pipe, distance from the gas meter will reflect the cost of doing this.
    And no power = no hot water. Yes there are self powered igniters but these create more drop in pressure.

Not trying to say donít fit one, there are a great solution in most instances.
    I used the Bosch brand, model will depend on your supply requirements. Donít upsize just because bigger is better.
    ok some greater install costs then just a straight swap out, thats to be expected.

Did your overall gas bill go down?

Good point re no power no water, I rarely have power outs... but I am pretty sure when we have had them we have just showered wo thinking about it and there could be the odd inconvenient morning before work.

ok some greater install costs then just a straight swap out, thats to be expected.

Did your overall gas bill go down?

Good point re no power no water, I rarely have power outs... but I am pretty sure when we have had them we have just showered wo thinking about it and there could be the odd inconvenient morning before work.
    Re gas usage / bill:
    Hard to tell, was a new house for us and also added gas central heating so water heating was a relatively small component.

Golden Member

I realise, my Rheem Stellar 360 does actually allow two kids to shower at the same time with no complaints and my run for 20mm pipe is probably 30m, literally the opposite end of the house and through the roof space, so not sure but Ill obtain some quotes

I realise, my Rheem Stellar 360 does actually allow two kids to shower at the same time with no complaints and my run for 20mm pipe is probably 30m, literally the opposite end of the house and through the roof space, so not sure but Ill obtain some quotes
    Running two showers at the same time, no problem. Just a matter of sizing the unit to meet the demand. Usually based on the number of bathrooms ie how many showers could be all running at the same time.
    What I was referring to is don’t select a bigger unit that supports 4 bathrooms if you only have 2.

And if your bathrooms are at the other end of the house would it be better to get the instantaneous heater installed at that end, then you don’t have to run the water for 3 minutes before a shower. Saves water and gas to heat that water.
    If there is demand at both ends of the house there is no reason you cannot install two smaller units, one at each end of the house, rather than one larger unit for the whole house.