Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Refurbishing a fireplace

Apprentice (new member)

Default Refurbishing a fireplace

Hi. We just bought a house in coastal Brisbane that has a brick fireplace. It is attached to the outside of the house but on the inside it has been sheeted over when the wall was relined. We are removing the sheets and I want to refurbish the fireplace so that we can use it next year. After removing the sheets and exposing the fireplace...what do I do next? I am pretty sure that there is no mantel in it and I have no idea about how to make a surround that will pass the NCC 2011. Any suggestions? What about protecting the floor infront of it? And lastly... How close can I mount my LCD TV to it (that one is from DH).

I urge you to mount your tv elsewhere. Heat and tvs are a baaaaaaaaaad combo. Stone would be a good material for your mantel. If you can clarify your situation with pics it would help folks to hp more effectively....

Also, a general pic of the home and statement about the home's style will help.
    Steve
    Kilmore (Melbourne-ish)
    Australia

....catchy phrase here

your best bet would be to post some pics so we can offer advice onto the workability of your fireplace... as seriph suggests, mount yoyr tv as far away as possible. hope this helps!

Apprentice (new member)

Default update...not great news

I will take some pictures tomorrow. Not great news though. THere is an asbestos circular pipe that is sitting in the chimney space which I guess is the flux pipe. I am not sure how a chimney is put together and have little idea how this pipe fits into the scheme of things. Stand by for further info.

If there is a cement pipe flue the fireplace has probably had an insert of some kind in the past, it is also possible that it is not designed to be an open fire. Using a fireplace that is not properly constructed or has been modified can lead to the house burning down and I would suggest you either get a brickie to have a look or get in someone who can make a visual inspection of both the firebox and brick surrounds to see if what you have is usable in its current form. However post some pictures and you should get a few opinions. One inside the roof space of the chimney area may be of interest as well.