Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

safe to use split air conditioner on very hot days (~45C)?

Novice

Default safe to use split air conditioner on very hot days (~45C)?

We are in the middle of a heatwave atm, and it gets to around 45 degrees C here over the passed few days.
    Is it safe to use a split air conditioner at these high temps, will it damage it? Or can they work in any climate?
    There is good air flow around it, but its hot air.
    Its an inverter Panasonic , brand new, 1.75Hp, under a car port.

Default Panasonic 1.75hp inverter split

Sure hope it cannot cause problems down the track.
    45.7 degrees and our little unit performed like a champ. I installed this model last year in master bedroom (40m2) and it is amazing. Whisper quiet and very very effective. With ceiling height of 3.4m we have a ceiling fan above the bed as well and the pair perform a great duet. The room was so cool last night I had to turn it off before we went to bed (just slept under the ceiling fan on slow speed) but put it back on about 0430 hrs just for a little luxury.
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

Reno Enthusiast

Your handbook that comes with the unit will have the min and max operating temps in it.

Quote Originally Posted by uavv View Post
    We are in the middle of a heatwave atm, and it gets to around 45 degrees C here over the passed few days.
    Is it safe to use a split air conditioner at these high temps, will it damage it? Or can they work in any climate?
    There is good air flow around it, but its hot air.
    Its an inverter Panasonic , brand new, 1.75Hp, under a car port.
    That is what it is made for. Get it on mate!

Most ac's have built in safety limits that will shut the unit off if you aren't getting enough cooling on the condensing unit, which will cause high head pressure and make the high pressure switch trip. If you have a older unit that doesn't have this chances are it will just keep tripping the CB as it will run over current. A easy way to avoid this in hot weather is to make sure the outdoor unit is shaded and has good airflow around it.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    The room was so cool last night I had to turn it off before we went to bed (just slept under the ceiling fan on slow speed) but put it back on about 0430 hrs just for a little luxury.
    Just wondering why you didn't just set the thermostat and let it turn itself on and off as needed?

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by binda View Post
    Your handbook that comes with the unit will have the min and max operating temps in it.
    just looked it up, it says 43C is the max

The 43 Max is simply the 'guaranteed' working limit of the air conditioning unit to achieve the specifications given in its ratings and tests. As AIRMAN advised, the system will operate to its safety limits which will simply switch the internal high pressure switch. By Keeping the external system as cool as possible by providing as much shelter from the direct sun and heat of the day, the better the system will run.

Default Bedroom Air Conditioner use

Just wondering why you didn't just set the thermostat and let it turn itself on and off as needed?
    Certainly could have Smurf but we are just trying to limit electricity usage as much as we reasonably can (to reduce our expenses but also to help in a small way to take the load off the grid and of course reduce emissions). We find the ceiling fan is all we need for sleeping on 95% of summer nights provided we cool the room down nicely with the AC unit before we hit the sack.
    Juan

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
    That is what it is made for. Get it on mate!
    could not have said it better myself, whats the use of an airconditioner if you dont use it when it gets hot.

just looked it up, it says 43C is the max
    if it gets too hot it will turn itself off until it cools down. they are designed to work in the heat, if they werent then no one would buy one.

I installed this model last year in master bedroom (40m2) and it is amazing. ... <snip>...With ceiling height of 3.4m we have a ceiling fan above the bed as well and the pair perform a great duet.
    40m2 and 3.4m ceiling height. Thats a big bedroom.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

wood welder

Be careful of the heat for warranty.

If the unit detects that its not being treated nicely it will do a self initiated data log, record the information and send via a high frequency signal through the power grid back to the manufacturer with the serial number and onboard gps co-ordinates. Then when your warranty claim comes through it will be rejected before you know it.

Scary. Very Scary.

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timmo View Post

If the unit detects that its not being treated nicely it will do a self initiated data log, record the information and send via a high frequency signal through the power grid back to the manufacturer with the serial number and onboard gps co-ordinates. Then when your warranty claim comes through it will be rejected before you know it.

Scary. Very Scary.
    yeah forgot about that, panasonics like doing that, so best off when temp gets over 35 you better switch it off and start using the fan instead so you dont void warranty.

Default Cooling a big room

40m2 and 3.4m ceiling height. Thats a big bedroom.
    Yes Gooner she is a big one (8m x 5m includes en-suite). The Panasonic 1.75hp inverter split handles it with ease. Absolutely over the moon with it and the 106cm Panasonic HD Plasma I mounted above the old FirePlace at the end of the bed.
    stimulus.jpg
    Great on a hot night to just watch a late movie with the AC unit on.
    Juan

fool

It pays at the start of the silly season to make sure the condenser unit (the outside bit) coils are clean and not obstructed/blocked. And that its sitting in the shade. This will stop the unit cutting out on high head pressure.
    It might be 45 outside but radiant heat from concrete and the house wall can make it more like 55.

If the unit does shut down misting water over the coils will get it going again.

12" member

Scary. Very Scary.
    mwahahaha I had that problem before, now i just put a little tinfoil hat on the remote when i turn it on if its over 43deg

Novice

Well its not safe to run at 45C….

I ran it over the heat wave and the circuit board controlling the outdoor blower fan malfunctioned and now the fan keeps spinning after you switch off the aircon with the remote.
    The unit still cools perfectly, its just that the fan wont stop spinning.
    The only way I can stop the fan spinning is to cut the power to the whole unit.
    <O</O

I called Panasonic and they said this is a common fault that happens when it gets very warm and can be easily fixed under warranty.
    <O</O

This is a FYI for any new(>12months) Panasonic split inverter owners.

wood welder

Well its not safe to run at 45C….

I ran it over the heat wave and the circuit board controlling the outdoor blower fan malfunctioned and now the fan keeps spinning after you switch off the aircon with the remote.
    The unit still cools perfectly, its just that the fan wont stop spinning.
    The only way I can stop the fan spinning is to cut the power to the whole unit.
    <o></o>

I called Panasonic and they said this is a common fault that happens when it gets very warm and can be easily fixed under warranty.
    <o></o>

This is a FYI for any new(>12months) Panasonic split inverter owners.
    I wonder how they knew you were running it hot?

1K Club Member

Unless you have received an official written warning from the manufacturer that the unit must not be operated above a certain temperature, you'd have a pretty strong case for claiming not only free replacement but also compensation for any costs incurred (eg day off work whilst someone comes to fix it).

A reasonable person would expect to be able to use an air-conditioner without restriction during hot weather. I'd be pretty confident that's how the court would see it.

If you read the warranty conditions on a lot of brands it will have something about it not being under warranty if the unit is being operated outside of the recommended climate conditions, with Daikin for example this is -10 to 46 degs.

Also no company is going to pay you for compensation due to inconvenience caused by a piece of equipment failing, your living in fairy land if you think that's gonna happen

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by AIRMAN View Post
    Also no company is going to pay you for compensation due to inconvenience caused by a piece of equipment failing, your living in fairy land if you think that's gonna happen
    Agreed with what you are saying, but I'd be highly surprised if there wasn't a case of either negligence or selling goods unfit for their intended purpose with some manufacturers.

Any manufactuer whose equipment has failed at 45 and where the manual doesn't warn of this would be crazy to not help consumers in every possible way. If that means fixing it on Sunday then so be it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    Unless you have received an official written warning from the manufacturer that the unit must not be operated above a certain temperature, you'd have a pretty strong case for claiming not only free replacement but also compensation for any costs incurred (eg day off work whilst someone comes to fix it).

A reasonable person would expect to be able to use an air-conditioner without restriction during hot weather. I'd be pretty confident that's how the court would see it.
    No warranty covers consequential loss. It will be in the fine print. You are not even covered for that with comprehensive service agreements etc. Companies cannot get insurance for it either as it would be a goldmine.

Negligence etc is a different story.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by kombiman View Post
    No warranty covers consequential loss. It will be in the fine print. You are not even covered for that with comprehensive service agreements etc. Companies cannot get insurance for it either as it would be a goldmine.

Negligence etc is a different story.
    What I'm on about is this...

An ordinary consumer who has had air-conditioning installed would reasonably expect to be able to use it on a hot day without limitation unless they have been specifically advised otherwise.

If they have been advised otherwise and that information was available at the time of purchase then there's no issue. The consumer purchased the air-conditioner aware of its limitations.

But if that information was not available at the time of purchase then they have purchased goods that do not match the description of what they reasonably thought they were purchasing - an air-conditioner that could be used on a hot day. In that case, in some states at least, they would be entitled to a full refund of whatever amount they paid for the air-conditioner. That said, they need to return it when they receive the information that it is not suitable rather than waiting until it breaks.

A load of legal nonsense I'd certainly agree. But if there are ordinary people out there with broken air-conditioners due to the heatwave then I'm concerned that they aren't ripped off. If they haven't been warned that the unit will be damaged then they can't be expected to know. In that situation the manufactuer ought to be carrying the full cost of repairs both materials and labour.

Now, off that stuff, something I've noticed about reverse cycle split systems. Without exception, every single instance of failure that I'm aware of has involved units of large capacity relative to the area being heated / cooled. I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing they don't like the short running cycles that over sizing would produce.

Quote Originally Posted by Smurf View Post
    I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing they don't like the short running cycles that over sizing would produce.
    Id agree, the stop starting and continual heating of the compressor in this situation would ultimately lead to overworking of the windings and destroy it! Or if it carries an LG badge!

Yes Gooner she is a big one (8m x 5m includes en-suite). The Panasonic 1.75hp inverter split handles it with ease.
    must say I am surprised that a 1.75hp can cool a 40m2 area, we have 45m2 lounge area and are looking at about 5.3kw (7.whatever hp)

wood welder

Quote Originally Posted by Terrian View Post
    must say I am surprised that a 1.75hp can cool a 40m2 area, we have 45m2 lounge area and are looking at about 5.3kw (7.whatever hp)
    A 5.3Kw unit running with a COP of 3.5 is a 1.75hp unit.

wood welder

Before anyone corrects me a 2hp unit at a COP of ~3.5 will provide 5.3kW of cooling capacity.

ahhhh, clear now, ta for that