Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Slow combustion heater

Novice

Default Slow combustion heater

Hello,
    We are looking at installing a wood heater and have the perfect sport for it - well almost pefect except it's not quite big enough. We need 350mm clearance to the nearest flammable surface on either side - we have only around 110mm. My question is, can we attach cement sheeting with tiles glued on top to the flammable surfaces to satisfy regulations, or am I trying too hard to save a cupboard (which is the neighboring flammable surface)? We have little storage space in our house, so every cupboard is precious.
    Thanks
    Luke

G'day Luke

Tis a hassle but that sounds a little too close even with a flameproof surface. Tiles over cement sheet will pick up quite a bit of heat being that close to the heater....granted there may not be much harm in that but I'd be questioning then how well the heater is going to perform its given task.

If there's not the airflow around it then it's not heating the air in the room as effectively as it might. Nor as efficiently as other choices for heating....
    Joined RF in 2006...Resigned in 2020.

1K Club Member

Mine is only 150mm from the wall at the back and hasn't caused any problems.

The wall is not fireproof, just an ordinary wall, so I was a bit worried about it when I first moved in. I got a professional heater installer to come and have a look and they said it's fine since this particular heater is designed to be installed that way. They did say however that they are all different and that some do radiate heat in all directions - so I'd follow the manufacturer's specifications pretty carefully.

Hi Luke

Also check with your local council - its not only whats safe and sensible but what the council proscribes. Important legal and insurance issues.

I installed a Lopi 25 years ago and the council gave me a brochure on their regs - basically nothing inflamable within 300mm, including the floor. No doubt rules have changed since then and I believe that now a slow combustion stove must be installed by a licensed installer or inspected after installation.

Cheers

Graeme

Novice

Thanks for all the replies. I ened up removing the cupboard and all other surrounding flamable objects. I was just easier and actually looks better now that the area has been opened up.
    Thanks again for your advice.
    Luke