Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Split Aircon, internal brick wall, how does unit condensation get removed?

Default Split Aircon, internal brick wall, how does unit condensation get removed?

Am contemplating the replacement of our 30YO ducted reverse cycle aircon with a number of split systems, one per room. This would require some units to be mounted on internal walls. It is a solid brick house, on cement slab.
    I would envisage the external units to be on the external wall/s at the back of the house with the pipework traveling through the ceiling space and down to the inside units.
    But what happens to the created condensation from the inside unit? If it were to be mounted on the external wall, I gather it is gravity fed though the wall to the ground.
    What happens when the units are mounted as I anticipate them being?

Novice

You need to have a drain pipe running down from the indoor unit. Otherwise, you can fit a condensate pump that can pump the water up and out. However, these are prone to failure.

I can understand the running of a pipe down the wall being OK when it is on an outside wall and the pipe can be fed through the wall at the unit level to give good aesthetes, but this is not possible on an inside wall, particularly when it is brick, and a concrete slab floor.
    Do most manufactures come with such a pump as standard, or is it an option? I am looking at MHI, ME, Panasonic units.

Hi BookLeaf,
    Did you enquire about simply replacing the ducted system instead of seperate units? Will probably be cheaper for you to do that rather than have a number of installs made.
    Tricks

Replace the ducted unit - Condensate pumps fail then you end up with water leaking down walls and making a mess and several split units leaves you with several units to fail. The only advantage to smalller units in each room is power saving but these days with inverter ducted units this gain is likely to be small.

Novice

The condensate pump doesn't come with the units. You have to buy this separately. But you should listen to tricky4000 and mike_perth and replace the ducted unit with a new one.

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated.
    As I said at the start, I am contemplating a move to individual units, no decision has been made. The investigations I have made to date would indicate, as has been pointed out, that the total cost would be similar if the ducted system were to be replaced. This would also involve the replacement of all the ducting I would guess, as much of it has failing insulation, and I think was of low R rating to start with.
    It was the point about mounting on internal walls that I was interested in. Seems not the best arrangement.

Ducted replacements are easier than a new install - the return air is cut in the diffuser holes are cut etc sure they may not be the right size but the ceiling joists have been cut an indoor unit has been installed in the roof space, so OK you need to get the indoor and outdoor unit removed and vac'd etc but its not a big deal. A ducted unit will provide years of comfort and a well installed unit will provide a very well tempreature controlled house - when you install get as many zones as you can afford/system will accomodate you wont regret too many zones though you may regret too few.