Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Split system Aircon -Advice needed

Novice

Default Split system Aircon -Advice needed

We are currently renovating our apartment and considering aircon.

The dining, lounge kitchen are all open plan now.

What is the best way to cool the bedrooms.?

Anyone know where i can get a great price on aircons in Sydney?

I am attaching floorplan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floor-plan-jpeg.jpg  

Lose that wall in front of the two bedrooms and I reckon a decent split (6KW heat/cooling power) will heat/cool the whole place down if the bedroom doors are left open.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Lose that wall in front of the two bedrooms and I reckon a decent split (6KW heat/cooling power) will heat/cool the whole place down if the bedroom doors are left open.

Any other options without taking the wall down?

Default Re: Split system Aircon -Advice needed

Are ceiling fans in the bedroom an option? They can certainly help. Cold air is "lazy" though. It won't easily travel around corners.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2

Novice

You can get a decent sized split system for the open space (6-7kW cool) and have an air transfer system installed to the bedrooms. See link below:

IXL Ventilation

Or you could just install a small ducted air conditioning system.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by dominicw View Post
    You can get a decent sized split system for the open space (6-7kW cool) and have an air transfer system installed to the bedrooms. See link below:

IXL Ventilation

Or you could just install a small ducted air conditioning system.

What would a small ducted system cost?

Old Chippy 6K

Ducted A/C is not a great choice unless you use zones and that then becomes more costly. Much better to use multiple split systems sized for the spaces they are used to cool. Cheap Chinese ones are usually the lowest performers to with the minimum ratings.

With cost of electricity being what it is (and going up not down!) you will get a quick payback on the price difference in price to go a brand name eg: Mitsubishi, Panasonic, Daikin, Fujitsu, LG, Kelvinator etc.

Note even these have cheaper and dearer and less or more efficient models! See this site to compare efficiency Air Conditioners - AS/NZS 3823.2 - more stars the better. It also has a calculator to let you enter info and see what the different running costs would be.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by simopimo View Post
    Are ceiling fans in the bedroom an option? They can certainly help. Cold air is "lazy" though. It won't easily travel around corners.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2
    And like all fans they work by passing cool air over your warm body - if you aren't in the room then they are wasting energy if they are on. They can be used to circulate air, but mostly that can be done by the source of the cooler air (whether that's a window or an A/C (refrigerated or evaporative - evap no good in Sydney really) and understanding flows in the location.

Fact is unless you re in the West Sydney homes need good ventilation not A/C given what the temperatures are and even out west it's only a few months (A/C can provide enough winter heating too in a mild climate like Sydney).
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Golden Member

Default Shading + split system AC

I presume that being in an apartment, additional insulation is out of the question. Otherwise, it should always be the first thing to tackle before installing air con.
    Looking at your plan, I noticed you have a west facing balcony/wall. I would suggest that you install some shades for your west facing balcony and if possible, the rest of the west facing wall.
    Having done that, split system air con for the 2nd bedroom and the lounge and for the master bedroom if you prefer.

Old Chippy 6K