Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Suggestions for Evaporative Cooling?

Novice

Default Suggestions for Evaporative Cooling?

We are going to get evaporative cooling for our home in Adelaide - any suggestions on brands? We have a larger home and will have about 7 ducts put in, most likely?

Cheers
    Suzer

See here http://www.renovateforum.com/f193/ev...lbourne-77000/ for my recommendation and some extra info.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

China

Bonaire, I have had two over the last 15 years have not had a problem with them

Novice

we bought a bonaire from mannix about 3 years ago and have been very pleased with it

Apprentice (new member)

Gents we have a 5 outlet unit but can I put another outlet into another section and close one vent off with an electric shutoff valve of some kind?

I wish to have an outlet to the outside area in summer and close of one vent to utilse this air flow when we are outside so to speak. Can this be done?

Apprentice (new member)

A vent to outside?? Unless outside is well enclosed and sheltered it probably won't achieve much, except to very slightly cool whole neighbourhood.
    That said, they are often called "barrel dampers", fitted into the ducting (select sizes to suit the ducting) which feeds the vent or group of vents you wish to operate. You'll also need a "zone" controller/switch to drive the damper motors open-close to suit.
    Be sure to keep it simple though, no more than 2 zones, don't get carried away wanting to control every vent individually! It'll only make for trouble.
    Another thing, try to avoid a situation where your shutting off more than about 30% of the vents at any time - too much air with nowhere to go.
    I'd imagine one of your local domestic Aircond mobs will be able to provide the necessary gear (& install it if yr not so handy). Or perhaps a half decent hardware store might stock such things.

1K Club Member

A considerably less expensive way of cooling the great outdoors would be to build a pergola, plant up with some deciduous vines and perhaps have a shallow pond between you and the prevailing breeze ...

Running AC to the exterior of your house will cost a bomb!!!

Novice

ever considered irrigating the area with some fine misters? hanging from a pagola, just a thought

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks brada as it is under verandah and wish to use the air flow onto the fans I have on the ceiling,so cool air from one vent only which will blow onto the fans which are over the drinking barrels so cooler than the fans.

I will check out the local guys and will be an open/close only method,simple method as you have stated with the double barrels

I have a covered deck area enclosed by 3 walls of the house. When we sit out there on a hot day I can turn on the evap cooler full blast and all close doors and windows. I open up the sliding door and a couple of windows facing out to the deck and a nice cool "blast" of air goes through the outdoor area and cools it nicely. Very comfortable.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...