Hire the best Air conditioning and Heating Experts

Winter comes for our Queenslander - floor insulation & plantation shutters?

Apprentice (new member)

Question Winter comes for our Queenslander - floor insulation & plantation shutters?

Hi all,

First off, this is my first post on the forum so forgive me if I don't give all the necessary information first time but I'll give you all I can on subsequent replies.

Secondly, I'm from Scotland originally and moved to Qld 5 years ago, now a thorough aussie (I like to think ) but still two left hands all thumbs when it comes to DIY and home improvements so I will be asking many dumb questions (often!). So please, bear with me - I won't necessarily "get" what you're saying first time, even if it's obvious to you!

Bit of history, we fell in love with the Queenslander style of home and ended up buying one after a year over here. It was well renovated when we bought it and slowly but surely the old dear has started to wear and tear, so we're just approaching the point in time where we need to start investing time in repairing/replacing things. So I'm sure I'll be making other posts elsewhere seeking assistance!

However, one issue we have with the Queenslander is the winter weather and how cold the house gets. It's a problem from every angle really. We've got an open lattice in our sunroom, the windows aren't snug on the frames so there are gaps there, the floor also has some gaps here and there and has nothing but the wood separating us from the cool night air in winter-time. The roof is insulated.

We think our best option is to get plantation shutters installed throughout the house and to consider underfloor insulation.

Has anyone here done either of these options? How did they find them? Pros/cons?

I'd probably get the shutters installed by a professional, but I was considering doing the insulation myself if it proved simple enough.

Underneath the house is raised, but we're positioned on an incline so the back of the house is legal head height and has a closed in tool room and laundry while the front of the house is only raised a metre or so off the ground.

I've been chatting with some colleagues and they said there are a few options for the underfloor insulation (after shaking their heads about the concept in general ) being foam sheets or colourbond style insulation, spray-on foam goods, or silver insulation bats.

I'm clueless about this stuff, so seeking some simple advice from those in the know.
    Appreciate it!

Hi,

I know insulation is the really sexy thing to work through atm. However.....

Fix your gaps first!

Get under your house and tape up all the gaps in your floorboards. Tape up the gaps in your windows. (leave 1 window in each room taht you will open). Fill any gaps between skirting and floor. Any vents that need filling?

Do it initially with tape. - (because it is easy to remove) and see what a difference it makes. - Then, if it makes enough difference, you can look to a more permananent gap blocking solution.

Personal opinion only: Insulation will have limited effect while you have significant gaps. - Get your gaps sorted first!

M

No member

x2... I'd be concerned about the loss of air flow through the floor during summer if you are to insulate it. The breeze we get from under the house, where it is nice and cool, is beautiful! For winter, I have resorted to a good pair of ugg boots and another jacket- it is uncharacteristically cold this week

Apprentice (new member)

Ok, thanks. Will spend this weekend getting hands (and rest of me) dirty under the house.

Is the best way to close the gaps to taping underneath and then fill up the top? Or vice versa?

G'day mate and welcome to the forum. You should find a Brissy winter to be like the hottest Scotland summer day. There are a few cool nights and the occasional negative reading in the western suburbs but really nothing compared to where you come from. Unfortunatley (for you) the Qlder is built to give heat to the atmosphere not retain it. Its lightweight construction responds very rapidly to temperature and sun exposure and in general, gaps and drafts are part of the charm. I wouldnt bother to do anything other than get some ugg boots and maybe a electric blanket to pre warm the bed a bit. Insulation in the roof is a must as is shading the western wall in summer but really, unless you plan on running AC all the time trying to draft proof a Qlder is probablya bit of a waste of time IMO.