Hire the best Gas Fitter

Against all the rules to dig up a sewer pipe?

Novice

Default Against all the rules to dig up a sewer pipe?

Hey all,

Sort of shitting bricks a bit at the moment. Just finished a laundry reno, putting in a 2nd toilet where a cupboard used to be.

My last plumber advised I should get a Sewer plan from the council to ensure a suitable sewage line ran across the back of the wall to tie the toilet into (I did that, it was there) and to ensure the line was actually there (I dug down and exposed a section of it) before I call someone else in to connect the toilet.

If it matters it was a while between getting the loo tap put in and me getting around to doing all the tiling etc. My usual plumber is on holiday and has a bit of a back log when they return, I'm impatient.

I emailed a local plumber, they asked for some photos so I sent them some of the exposed PVC pipe in the ground and the space where the toilet is to go. I then received this in response. I've also taken the new toilet out of the box and sat it in the space it's going to go bit it was very clear it's not attached or anything.

"Thank you sharing the photos with us. Our plumber has looked at these.

The work being completed need to be completed by a licenced plumber regarding the sewer line being relocated. Council forms need to be completed when a sewer line is adjusted.
    Because this work has been started and we are unsure regarding the licencing of the person who has completed the work to date, we are unwilling to provide a quote and/or complete this work.

Thank you for thinking of us and best of luck with the completion of your renovations."

Do you need a licence to dig up a pipe? Do they think I have extended the exisiting sewage to that spot myself? I'm just worried I've broken some weird rule in the interest of not paying someone hundreds of dollars an hour to dig a hole in my yard now I have an inspector coming to fine me into oblivion. I tried to call the company in question and got no response.

Thanks for any info in advance and if you're a plumber in West Brisbane looking for an easy one, hit me up. img20211018183129.jpgimg20211018183245.jpg

3K Club Member

You have likely picked a Plumbing business which has enough work and does not want to waste their valuable time quoting such a small job.
    Any Tom Dick or Harry can dig a hole in their own yard and expose a sewer pipe without fear of retribution.
    So just call around a few Plumbers and forget the emails asking for quotes, use the phone and call their direct mobile and see how you go.
    If I was still in business I would ignore most emails/messages requesting quotes unless they were just around the corner.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    You have likely picked a Plumbing business which has enough work and does not want to waste their valuable time quoting such a small job.
    Any Tom Dick or Harry can dig a hole in their own yard and expose a sewer pipe without fear of retribution.
    So just call around a few Plumbers and forget the emails asking for quotes, use the phone and call their direct mobile and see how you go.
    If I was still in business I would ignore most emails/messages requesting quotes unless they were just around the corner.
    G'day mate,

Thanks for the response. Will give that a go when I got a little more time to throw at it. These guys are a few streets over from me, my thinking was they could swing in on the way home and add a bit of value for the day.

Alll good, as long as I haven't cocked up somewhere

What Cyclic said. Those trades that quote based on internet contact and photo shared, avoid like the pest.

3K Club Member

Hmmm, did not take all that much notice of the post but I see the water is already done, so that explains why Plumbers may not be interested as they have to certify the total job
    which means they have to be responsible for the water as well.
    Think about it, Plumber connects the toilet, you sell the house, water starts leaking in the wall, and Plumber is up for cost of repairs for something he did not do.
    Good luck finding someone to come into that.