Hire the best Gas Fitter

Blocked Drain in bathroom and toilet, help!

Apprentice (new member)

Default Blocked Drain in bathroom and toilet, help!

The drains in my bathroom and the toilet are blocked, I can't take showers or flush the toilet without water filling up the shower and the drain hole in the toilet having water come up through it. I haven't noticed any overflow in the laundry and kitchen both of which are at the front of the house but I haven't wanted to use too much water in case of more flooding.

My house is about 35 years old and I am hoping to try and fix this blockage myself if possible and would appreciate any advise on how to do this.
    Thanks Jules

1K Club Member

You need a plumber mate by the sounds of it.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

You can get lucky SOMETIMES by putting a garden hose down the ip just outside your bathroom and pushing the obstruction through with the water turned on, this has a small chance of working if its just a huge wad of toilet paper that's blocking the drain, BUT be prepared to call a plumber.

Quote Originally Posted by familyguy View Post
    You can get lucky SOMETIMES by putting a garden hose down the ip just outside your bathroom and pushing the obstruction through with the water turned on, this has a small chance of working if its just a huge wad of toilet paper that's blocking the drain, BUT be prepared to call a plumber.
    But most times you get covered in $hit and still have to call for help...

There seems to be a psychological smell to that stuff, seems like you can have 25 showers and wash your hands a hundred times and they still smell bad.

Good luck.
    Cheers

Alan M

Default Houston,,,,, we have a problem

If you have an inspection shaft coming up to ground level (should have a concrete inspection shaft cover at ground level), from the drain, after it branches off the sewer main, unscrew the I.O. cap and see if it is blocked there. if not, the blockage is between the inspection shaft and the house. The blockage can be many metres away from the house.

Is your house connected to the sewer system or does it have a septic tank? If you are connected to sewer, phone your local sewer (water) authority and ask them to fax you a plan of your sewer system. This will give you an idea where your sewer drain goes, and where the inspection openings are. If you cannot clear it yourself, at least the plan will help the plumber when he comes to clear it.

In future don't try to fit 6" mullets down 4" pipes...(.................Only joking) Good LUCK!!!

I have been in the exact same situation ....twice.

The reason your laundry is still ok is probably that they are separate pipes that join somewhere else and the blockage is before the join on the bathroom line.

First time I had it block was a grass/tree roots blockage. Solution - Got the plumber out with his eel to clear the blockage. I then took further action to stop the roots coming back.

2nd time it happen it turned out to be toilet paper/waste blockage as a result of the toilet not fully flushing each time so it had enough pressure to push the contents out of the bowl but not the whole way out through the piping. Solution I ended up shoving a hose up the inspection pipe (turned OFF - no water etc from hose) and jiggled it aroung for probably 15 mins, ended up clearing the blockage myself but got the plumber around the next day to fix the toilet so it flushed properly.

No problems since......touch wood

So best to budget for a plumber cos even if you clear it , you will want to know what caused it.

How did you go? Did you get it cleared? What was the cause of the blockage, and how far was it down the drain?