Hire the best Gas Fitter

Deep Seat Basin taps small leak

Apprentice (new member)

Default Deep Seat Basin taps small leak

Iíve put in new deep seat spindles and FIX-A-TAP Aqua Tap Valves. I still get a few drops every 3-6 hours with a hard turn off so Iím thinking I need to reseat the taps. I thought about the HydroSeal refacing drill kit but Iím pretty sure it will not reach the tap seat.
    Any that will actually work? I donít mind if itís a manual tool. I would replace the whole set but the only distributor of the set in Aus. will not have stock for 3 months.

JB1
    1K Club Member

How many mm from the top of the tap seat body to the tap seat?

I can measure my hydroseal tool
    lk

Apprentice (new member)

I will measure the drop in the morning. In the meantime, I grabbed the old tap spindle and had to guess a little as it has been removed. I estimate itís about 45mm from the bottom sans valve to the body washer. Thatís going by the discolouration of the spindle.

3K Club Member

The Hydraseal cutter will work.
    They are usually good for 40 mm but will go to 80 mm deep if you remove the O ring on the seat cutter.
    The large rubber you see is what I fitted for ease of screwing it in/out.
    If you use one of these be warned they cut very quickly so be gentle with the drill and pressure
    i.e a quick squirt of the drill to start then remove the reseater and check the seat.
    dscn0840.jpgdscn0841.jpg

JB1
    1K Club Member

Here’s one in better condition haha

Note I think my newer one is slightly different. No rubber cap so you can’t extend it.

Having said that it should work up to ~55mm deep.
    lk

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post

Here’s one in better condition haha

Note I think my newer one is slightly different. No rubber cap so you can’t extend it.

Having said that it should work up to ~55mm deep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No you got it wrong.

The rubber cap you refer to (piece of rubber hose) is what I fitted to the hex section to help with screwing it in and out bc when working with water and tap grease on a reseater it gets very slippery,
    and that reseater has probably done in the vicinity of 1000 seats so you can imagine the arthritis/rsi from that many screw ins and outs.
    Which probably explains why my back hurts.

To get the reseater to go deeper you remove the "O" ring near the 3.1/2" mark not the rubber cap.

edit.. I just looked at my reseater and it goes same depth as yours ( I just did not push it all the way out when taking the pic) so no change in hydraseal reseaters in more than 20 years.
    Still the best IMO

Apprentice (new member)

Cheers. I measure it and itís 49-50mm.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    No you got it wrong.

The rubber cap you refer to (piece of rubber hose) is what I fitted to the hex section to help with screwing it in and out bc when working with water and tap grease on a reseater it gets very slippery,
    and that reseater has probably done in the vicinity of 1000 seats so you can imagine the arthritis/rsi from that many screw ins and outs.

To get the reseater to go deeper you remove the "O" ring near the 3.1/2" mark not the rubber cap.

edit.. I just looked at my reseater and it goes same depth as yours ( I just did not push it all the way out when taking the pic) so no change in hydraseal reseaters in more than 20 years.
    Still the best IMO
    Ok thanks, I’ll note that if I ever get a deep breech.

how often you encounter deep beeches that you need to extend the tool further than the regular ~50mm?

I’ve done about 1% of your tool hence why it’s so shiny Haha

As soon as you pick it up you can tell it’s a quality tool and inexpensive for the quality.
    lk

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    No you got it wrong.

Still the best IMO

Hi Cyclic, I like the rubber cap idea. Not sure if you knew but it is possible to get replacement cutter heads for your re-seater. I go through about 3 or 4 a year. About 10 bucks each. It is amazing how quick a new head cuts a seat.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    Hi Cyclic, I like the rubber cap idea. Not sure if you knew but it is possible to get replacement cutter heads for your re-seater. I go through about 3 or 4 a year. About 10 bucks each. It is amazing how quick a new head cuts a seat.
    Nah never replaced it bc it is a tungsten cutter head but thanks for the heads up and good to see you still lurking.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    How many taps you reseating a month? Lol
    lk

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB1 View Post
    How many taps you reseating a month? Lol
    lk
    I re-seat heaps of taps. Checked my accounts recently and do around 100 washers a month, of those half will be re-seated. Problem is, a tap seat is very hard to check for cracks unless it's re-seated. When it's shiny any imperfections are seen and then I decide whether it may need a new stainless steel seat or just a washer.

No use getting warranty call backs on these jobs.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work