Hire the best Gas Fitter

Dishwasher waste

Hack

Default Dishwasher waste

Hi all,
    I am currently replacing my kitchen cupboards but rather then having to drill a hole through my new cupboards for the waste pipe and attach it to the nipple from the sink trap, is there another alternative?
    The cupboards are on legs so is it possible to run the waste pipe under the cupboard and attach it somehow? Just trying to keep everything as neat and tidy as possible.
    Cheers,
    Michael

I dont know if you ever have to remove the dishwasher waste from the nipple. But if you did have to and that attachment is under the cupboard and behind the kickboards(like you are planning I assume), it would be a pain.

??

You might end up making it neat and tidy, but you'd also make it stinky; you'd be adding a connection underneath the U trap.

The U trap is there to keep 'orrible smells from wafting up from the plumbing. Dishwashers are sometimes not the freshest smelling appliances; adding fresh sewer pong to them is not something I'd rush into.

Its also a maintennance nightmare; its easy to see when the connection under the sink is leaking, but if its hidden behind the kickboards it could take months and months to find out that it's leaking, by which time you'd have a lovely collection of caustic slime hiding there!

I overcome my own feelings of guilt at cutting nice carcasses by drilling neat holes (no breakout, roundover edges with a router, even apply white paint if I have some handy) and keeping the dishwasher waste and tap connection tidy and out-the-way with the aid of some ziploc ties.

Oh - it's so much more fun to do the above if you do it before you put the benchtop on.

1K Club Member

A dishwasher waste has to rise up to at least the height of the cabinet before it enters a trapped waste otherwise it would syphon itself empty and never work, the waste must be trapped also to prevent sewer smells. A two inch hole is a minor inconvenience but an evil necessity in most cases.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Hack

This is part of what I love about this forum, always bring up stuff I hadn't thought about.

Great responses guys!!
    Will go ahead with it as first planned