Hire the best Gas Fitter

Everything squeaks?

MBe
    Apprentice (new member)

Question Everything squeaks?

Hi there,

Complete plumbing newbie here and a bit confused. Wondering if someone can advise.

It all started with a dripping tap in my kitchen - it had been dripping for a few weeks already and doing my head in, so I decided to watch a YouTube tutorial on how to fix it. I watched this one here, my tap is pretty much identical apart from the handle.

I closed off the water not through the main supply but through one of the isolation valves under the sink. I should note that I turned it round a gazillion times as I wasn't aware that it only took a small movement to turn off the water. Not sure if that has caused an issue.

Took the parts out from the cartridge, I did notice the ceramic discs had some minuscule damage on them but as they are no more than 5 years old I figured this would be fine. The cartridge was mostly very dirty (completely black stains on certain parts?) so I cleaned it all in limescale remover.

Put it all back together again and opened the isolation valve; this started a heavy squeaking noise just by turning the valve, not even touching the tap. Putting pressure on the tap (not opening or closing it, but just pushing it in) would change the noise or block it temporarily.

Took the cartridge apart a few more times, put it all back together again and opened the valve: no noise this time, but water was running freely from my tap. With the tap closed.

A short panic attack later I took the cartridge out again, changed the direction of the top ceramic disc (as I'm not sure which part should be up, mine looks slightly different from the one in the video), put a tiny layer of Vaseline on the discs and put it all back together again very tightly this time.

It worked - water flows when I open the tap, it stops when I close the tap. No dripping. Yay.

But: I'm now stuck with a horrible squeaking sound when I partially open the tap (it's a quarter turn tap). Not only that, but I notice now that when I open either my shower tap or my bathroom tap I hear the same squeaking sound from my kitchen!

It all works fine at least, and I don't mind the squeaking that much as it's only for a few seconds, but I'm worried I'm damaging my pipes, or my neighbour's hearing.

I'm now wondering if my kitchen tap is the problem, or if it's the pipes / valve underneath. Would anybody be able to advise?

Thank you.

4K Club Member

Buy a new ceramic cartridge for your mixer, because your 'repair' will fail. I suggest if the quarter turn isolating tap goes 'round a gazillion times' that you replace that as well, because that tap is clearly faulty. Who knows, maybe the squeaks will stop of the faulty parts are replaced...
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

From the description it is possible that the isolation valve is now damaged, it sounds like it is a quarter turn ceramic and got turned a gazillion times.
    If that valve is not opening fully water will be squeezing through a narrow opening which will cause a high pitched squeal. If this is the isolation valve for your apartment then using water in your bath or shower will also cause the squeal at the isolation valve.

Unfortunately if that valve is faulty replacement will require shutting of the main supply.

How many digit in a gazillion?

Man this stay at home is driving me up the walls ...
    Fear is the foundation of most government.
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    How many digit in a gazillion?

https://gregology.net/reference/gazillion/

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    The first hundred days are the hardest..................
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

MBe
    Apprentice (new member)

Thanks all.

Just to clarify the isolation valve under the sink got turned probably around 9-10 times with a screwdriver before I discovered it only needed to turn an inch to shut the water off. The tap above the sink is the quarter turn tap and this doesn't get turned more than a quarter.

I've closed the isolation valve again and have taken the cartridge out for now - and now my shower, toilet and bathroom work silently. Will try and get the cartridge replaced.

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bedford View Post
    The first hundred days are the hardest..................
    Buh dooomm tish

Golden Member

What Marc said. Here in Sydney my builder can't come tomorrow to fit the new windows. Pissed off my builder isn't here tomorrow to fit new windows. But so it goes, having been in hospital quite a lot I get it.