Hire the best Gas Fitter

Fixing a shower waste leak through floor

Novice

Question Fixing a shower waste leak through floor

We have located a leak coming from a shower waste pipe coming through the shower base floor to the lower floor.

Thinking of cutting the pipe and reconnecting it to the shower waste grate. Is this the correct way to fix something like this?

I have heard suggestions of coming in from the top and remove the shower waste grate but have no idea what that might achieve. Plus risk to the tiles.

As you can see from the shower grate it doesnt appear to be connected to the PVC pipe at the bottom. Shoddy job I guess from whoever installed this.

img_3531.jpegimg_3544.jpeg

Impossible to tell from the photo, do you know where the water is coming from exactly ?
    It may be leaking around where the grate is set in the floor and be a waterproofing failure, reconnecting the pipe will not fix this.

Also is that mould on floorboards ? If so it’s been leaking for a long time.
    Clean up the area, run some water and pinpoint the location of the leak.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    do you know where the water is coming from exactly ?
    It may be leaking around where the grate is set in the floor and be a waterproofing failure, reconnecting the pipe will not fix this.
    Also is that mould on floorboards ?.
    It appears the water is coming down from outside the pipe. Upon further inspection on the grate, there is a small bit of grout missing which the water may be flowing into.

I'm not sure if that is mould or not. I was told the base is steel (?) which was laid on the timber bearings, then the concrete slab?

I'm going to patch the missing grout near the edge of the grate and maybe a couple coats of shower plug and see if it makes a difference.

If that fails, I'll redo the shower floor one tile up.

Thanks for the input.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo808 View Post
    It appears the water is coming down from outside the pipe. Upon further inspection on the grate, there is a small bit of grout missing which the water may be flowing into.

I'm not sure if that is mould or not. I was told the base is steel (?) which was laid on the timber bearings, then the concrete slab?

I'm going to patch the missing grout near the edge of the grate and maybe a couple coats of shower plug and see if it makes a difference.

If that fails, I'll redo the shower floor one tile up.

Thanks for the input.
    Yes can see the water on the outside of the pipe, but if it is not originating at the point where the PVC meets the grate then chopping of the pipe and replacing it will make no difference.
    Check and see if the water is coming from higher up the grate like where it comes through the floor, dry everything beforehand and talc or other powder can also be useful to help locate it.

Grout is NOT waterproof, replacing a missing section of grout will not fix a leak, the waterproofing under the tile is the layer that stops water leaking. Applying shower plug may slow down the leak for now but is not fixing the real reason for the leak.

The floor you describe is a bondek slab.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Yes can see the water on the outside of the pipe, but if it is not originating at the point where the PVC meets the grate then chopping of the pipe and replacing it will make no difference.
    Check and see if the water is coming from higher up the grate like where it comes through the floor, dry everything beforehand and talc or other powder can also be useful to help locate it.

Grout is NOT waterproof, replacing a missing section of grout will not fix a leak, the waterproofing under the tile is the layer that stops water leaking. Applying shower plug may slow down the leak for now but is not fixing the real reason for the leak.

The floor you describe is a bondek slab.
    Thanks for the additional info. I'm not up for a shower rebuild so will attempt to fix and try extend the life of this shower.

I ended up giving the shower a good clean, then used a torch and closely watched the water run off whilst looking at the grout lines. I noticed a bubble from the floor near the grate. Looks like some grout is gone in that section. Also one another location had a small hole with grout missing. A bubble or two appeared whilst the water was draining. Since the holes where so small, used a syringe with a needle filled with grout and injected to fill the holes instead of the normal method of grout application. Applied Showerplug then will re-check for leaks hoping for the best.

Thanks again for the info on the bondek slab. It's good to find out what material was used in this old house. I found it interesting reading up on it.

BTW I found this excellent diagram showing how the waterproofing is done. Might be useful to others.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails installing-shower-grates-concrete-floor-800x341.jpg