Hire the best Gas Fitter

Garden drainage - water pooling near house

Apprentice (new member)

Default Garden drainage - water pooling near house

A long story short i have water pooling against the corner of the house and I'm looking for advise on the best advise on how to remedy the issue.

Long story: there has been water pooling coming into the side/corner of the house and patio for some months (well since we moved into the house almost a year ago) it only happens during heavy rains.

I originally thought it was water build up from the neighbour as they had their hose on drip to water their tree. the water from the neigbours hose would build a pool of water near the fence line and when it rained i thought the excess water was running into our side of the house. well after discussing with the neighbour they fixed their dripping hose and the water build up against the house still occurs.

recently I had to replace the electrical cable running from the house to the garage as it was water logged as the person who installed it didnt used pipe glue, hence the back fill in the photo.

As i was digging the new trench for the electrical cable I came across the storm water pipe near where the pooling occur and it had a crack in the top of the terracotta pipe which someone tried fixxing with silicone.. i've remove the silicone and patched the pipe with epoxy resin, i'm now sure its not a leaking storm water pipe.

there does seem to be a slight slope of the yard so maybe it's just rain-water run off?.. time to call a plumber?

img_0208.jpgimg_0209.jpgimg_0210.jpgimg_0211.jpg

From the picture it looks like the yard slopes towards the house. I'm not a plumber but I would be checking the following:
    - Garage downpipes connected
    - House downpipes connected

If the above is ok, then I would be adding a 100mm agpipe down the fence lines to collect your neighbors water if they are sloping your way, and more importantly put a agpipe around the perimeter of your house connected into the storm water pipes. Check your neighbors properties to see if they are collecting their water as well.

3K Club Member

Quote:
    As I was digging the new trench for the electrical cable I came across the storm water pipe near where the pooling occur and it had a crack in the top of the terracotta pipe which someone tried fixing with silicone.. I've remove the silicone and patched the pipe with epoxy resin, I'm now sure its not a leaking storm water pipe.

I always get very nervous when I hear about repairs over silicone. You have to remove all trace of the nasty stuff before anything will will properly stick to it.

Did you crape it clean then use a solvent like Acetone to remove all traces?

Good luck and fair winds.

Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Certainly looks like falling towards the house. Time for some drainage works if that is the case.
    Measure twice, cut once, trim some off the end, trim some more. Too short. Rinse, Repeat.

2K Club Member

Very hard to be definitive with seeing the site but if you have one crack in the clay

pipe there could be others. Check the pipes a few meters uphill from the pool and if ok

you prob need some agline installed

1K Club Member

More than likely the stormy is either partially or fully blocked. Old stormwater terrra cotta pipes can be really difficult to clear, and time consuming. If cleared you are left with a cracked 50 plus year old t/c drain. Might be worth replacing the drain and run some aggies at the same time.