Hire the best Gas Fitter

Gas pipe

Novice

Question Gas pipe

Plan to upgrade my home HWS and Cooktop from electric to Gas (I assume it's Natural Gas, still haven't get the meter installed, as need to the work from my side first), since I plan to run gas to the granny flat in the future to allow another gas HWS and cooktop to run over there. (Energy rate: Cooktop 43.2MJ/h, HWS 160MJ/h, obvious I won't run all the burners and HWS at the same time, but I want to have reasonable size of pipe laid to allow the capacity for future). I had couple gas fitters come to quote, some suggests to run 32mm PE pipe from the meter all the way, some says they will run 25mm copper pipe because PE can only run underground, once above the ground has to convert to copper.
    my questions:
    1) is PE pipe legal?
    2) What size of pipe is suitable for my job? (My Kitchen/Bathroom is locate around 15 meter go the gas meter. The kitchen/Bathroom in granny flat is around 25 meter to the gas meter.

Any formula to calculate the pipe size base on the gas pressure, pipe length and appliance to run?) As I was prefer copper pipe, but I don't want go too big size of pipe to waste money, as nowadays copper pipe are very expensive, especially the large one. So enough is good enough.
    3) I live in west Adelaide, not quite sure the gas pressure is higher enough or not, as the plumber says the water pressure in my area is bad, will I have problem to run HWS due to low water pressure? Anyway to find out the exact water pressure.
    4) Once the work in my property is done, I need arrange Origin come to install gas meter in front garden, then APA come to connect the service line to the gas meter. Any thing I need pay attention to? Any size of meter can choose? I don't want to put into a position that install a big pipe, but later shaped by a small size gas meter and service line, can I tell them in front, so they can install a appropriate size of meter and service line from street to my property?

Many thanks,

Jamie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails floor-plan.jpg  

1K Club Member

There is a composite gas pipe that can be used.
    Without looking at your job, measuring it, determining what material pipe you wish to use and so on it's hard to say. You have to take into account the intended gas fixtures for the granny flat. Everyone has a pre-concieved idea that copper is ultra expensive.
    You can buy a gauge that screws on to your hose tap to give you your water pressure reading.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by wonderplumb View Post
    There is a composite gas pipe that can be used.
    Without looking at your job, measuring it, determining what material pipe you wish to use and so on it's hard to say. You have to take into account the intended gas fixtures for the granny flat. Everyone has a pre-concieved idea that copper is ultra expensive.
    You can buy a gauge that screws on to your hose tap to give you your water pressure reading.
    Hi wonderplumber,
    Thanks for your reply, I have updated my post with more information, not sue whether that's enough for you estimated what size of copper ( or other material) pipe you will suggest to use?
    Regards,
    Jamie

1K Club Member

It works on pressure drop from the regulator. What kind of heater will you have in the granny flat? Where is the heater for your house? Will you have a gas point for a BBQ?
    You've already had plumbers on site, if they want the work they'll size it correctly for you

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by wonderplumb View Post
    It works on pressure drop from the regulator. What kind of heater will you have in the granny flat? Where is the heater for your house? Will you have a gas point for a BBQ?
    You've already had plumbers on site, if they want the work they'll size it correctly for you
    The problem I have is, so far there are 2 gas fitters come and quote, they use total different material, pipe size and of course different price range. One says 32mm PE pipe all the way, the other says 25mm copper pipe as he says PE is illegal above the ground/outdoor and etc. I am confused which one should I go with. Also, any other better cost effective solution?

My gas HWS will be on the wall outside bathroom. For the granny flat, both cooktop and HWS will be at the point of yellow line. Cooktop is Electrolux 4-burner (42MJ/hr), gas HWS is Kelvinator 20L/min (160MJ/hr). I don't have any other appliance use gas. So maximum capacity required is about 2x(40+160)=400MJ/hr. I would like to know what size of copper pipe should be enough, or what size of PE (if it's legal).

Is the regulator you talked about above inside the gas meter, is that something I need mention to Origin when they install the gas meter? If I recall correctly, when I call APA to mark the gas meter position, they do ask me what appliance I am going to use, I think they use it to decide what size of service line they use to connect to my property from the street.

Thanks,
    Jamie

1K Club Member

Get a third one out. They shouldn't charge you for coming out to give a quote so there's no harm done.

Apprentice (new member)

The difference in size between the PE and Copper is because the PE pipes have a smaller internal diameter (ID) than the copper, so they don't flow as much as the same size in copper. 15mm copper is the same as 20mm PE Gas pipe, 20 copper is 25 (or 26mm depending on the brand of pipe) PE Gas pipe, etc. etc.

The PE pipe would be fine above ground, as long as it is lagged with the proper UV Stable or 'Solar' lagging.