Hire the best Gas Fitter

gas pipe size for stove

Apprentice (new member)

Default gas pipe size for stove

Hi,

I got a kitchen reno i'm planning. The missus wants to toss the 60cm 4 burner NG freestanding stove and replace it with a 90cm 5 burner unit. There is currently a 1/2" supply line to the stove and I'm just wondering if it should be upgraded to a 3/4" line. The stove says it has a maximum output of 53.6MJ/h on all burners, but no way they all get used at the same time. It doesn't look like there will be a problem feeding it from the 1/2" line from some pipe sizing charts i have seen online, but i just though i'd see what more educated people thought before i call a plumber and wait 2 months

Cheers

Gramps

1/2” will be fine
    G

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks very much. i figured it would be, but having a second opinion helps.

1K Club Member

Depends on what other appliances you have. 53 megs is on the larger size for a cooker. Your gasfitter needs to size the line for compliance.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

4K Club Member

No one asked or specified how long the 1/2 inch supply pipe is. That might be relevant in a mains gas system with the regulator at the meter end of a long pipe.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

4K Club Member

I've got a lpg 5 burner hob and a 900 gas oven running off a 1/2" line and it supplies both with no problems at all
    inter

Apprentice (new member)

For a bit extra info, the other connected appliances are a 20l continuious hottie and a gas heater. When i got the hottie installed i got the pipe through to that upgraded to 3/4" so i basically have a 3/4" pipe running from the meter straight through to the hot water at the back of the house. off that i got 1/2" branch running to the stove and a 1/2" running to the heater. The 1/2" pipe running to the stove is about 4-5m.

Got no probs calling a plumber in to upgrade it. The main issue is waiting for them to actually come and do it. Got more chance of finding dinosaur bones in the back yard than a plumber. But at the same time, i'd rather get it done than find out i should have done it after the fact. I think you guys have put enough doubt in my mind that i should probably just bite the bullet and go hunting for someone to do it

4K Club Member

IMO no problems with 1/2" for the setup you described; 3/4 would merely help pay for your plumber's next os holiday/house/boat/off-road van with no benefit to yourself.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Apprentice (new member)

Yeah. i tend to shy away from working 4 hours to pay a tradie for 1, which is why i asked in the first place. Did some more digging and found the manual for the current stove. it's 49Mj/h. so the new one isn't really much of a jump.

Called a couple of plumbers anyway and no one is even going to look at it for a month and a wife that wanted it done yesterday and if you met my wife, you'd know life's easier when she's happy.

Thanks all for the help