Hire the best Gas Fitter

Granny flat water usage - check meter, sub meter? separate meter?

Default Granny flat water usage - check meter, sub meter? separate meter?

Hi all,

We are building a granny flat in the yard.

How can the water usage there be separate or at least gauged?

I have heard there is a check meter that can tell you how much water is used in the granny flat which has 7 taps all up (garden, toilet, vanity x 2, kitchen x 3) how does it work? how do you separate the usage at this back area of the house?

Coastal

Apprentice (new member)

Default We offer water submeters

Hi Coastal,

I represent EKM Metering which offers a range of submetering systems for electricity, water, and gas metering. We Have a 3/4" Pulse Output Water Meter that sounds like it would be perfect for your granny flat. Like most meters, this meter can be read of the face of the meter but it also produces a pulse output which allows the meter to be read remotely if you choose. For each unit of water that flows by the meter it produces an electrical pulse that can be measured from a distance. Here they are on our website: Water Meters

We have an electric meter (25EDSP-N) that works with these meters and will keep track of up to 3 of these pulse output water meters. The counts are stored inside the electric meter. The electric meter with the proper converter can then be read by your computer either locally on-site or over the internet from anywhere in the world. You can either use the electric meter as just a pulse counter or as an electric meter with pulse counter.

If you have any questions about our products or services don't hesitate to contact us through our website.

Cheers!

Adam

The Master's Apprentice Bedford's Avatar

G'day, do these products meet Australian Standards?
    Posted by John2b, And no, BEVs are not going to save the planet, which doesn't need saving anyway.

Apprentice (new member)

Here is a link to the water meter on our website: Pulse Output Water Meter - PWM-1 Read water remotely

All of the certifications that we have are related to our kWh meters. Here is the list of our EKM Metering's meter certifications:

Accuracy certification from the California Department of Weights and Measures for revenue grade metering. Also known as California Type Approval. This is an accuracy standard that many other states look to for their revenue grade requirements. Here is the certificate:
    http://cdfa.ca.gov/dms/programs/ctep...11/5645-11.pdf

IEC62052-11, IEC62052-21

CE mark.

We are almost finished with our certification process for UL as well as ULC.

Other various certifications too.

EKM Metering often sells meters to Australia but we aren't sure what water meter standards are common for you guys.

We are confident that our meters will meet or exceed any standard and would be interested to learn more about the certifications and standards down under. Any info you have on the subject would be welcome.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EKMmetering View Post
    EKM Metering often sells meters to Australia but we aren't sure what water meter standards are common for you guys.
    Australian pressure fittings require a WELS rating.

It is disappointing to hear that your company "often sells meters to Australia" when you are not knowledgable with Australian standards. By posting that you "often sells meters to Australia", am I correct if I assume that you are referring to sales to individuals and not to a national distributor who has accreditation for your product. Your first post was clearly directed towards an individual. While a water meter could be seen as not presenting a risk, many individuals use the net to source varying products which include electrical items that often pose a significant risk. Many end up with plumbing products they cannot fit.

There are no grey areas here. Section 33 of the WELS Act states: "It is an offence to supply an unregistered product that is required to be registered under the WELS Standard". I would hope that your company re-examines its social conscience re the promotion and the sale of unregistered products to Australian consumers.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Danny,

We are a company based in California that sells meters to individuals and companies all over the world, without distributers, including Australia. The vast majority of our business relates to our kWh meters but we have recently begun to sell water meters as well.

We are constantly working to understand, and comply with, the different regulatory standards of all the countries that we do business with, which is is why I welcome the information relating to Australian water meter standards.

It is my understanding that the WELS Act is an efficiency standard that relates to tap equipment, urinal equipment, lavatory equipment, showers, flow controllers, washing machines, and dishwashers. I haven't been able to find any information relating WELS and water meters. As our meter doesn't fit in the aforementioned categories, are you sure that the WELS Act relates to water meters as well? If you could point me in the direction of any pertinent information I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Banned

Hi Adam,

I owe you an apology. I am use to working with WELS compliance and WELS is an efficiency standard that also requires the "Watermark" certification of compliance. I do know that water meters are not water saving devices and I guess that this is what happens when one posts on the run while working. No excuse for a brain fade.

We have a system here called Australian Standards and it is a highly regulated system. WaterMark is a certification trademark owned by Standards Australia Limited. This is an Australian public owned company, a fact that may surprise many. Watermark applies to plumbing products and I am sure that this would include water meters.

There was a recent plumbing thread in the Plumbing forum that dealt with the problem the poster had when he found that the (non compliant) taps he bought had an unusual thread. Taps come under the WELS umbrella and the WELS and Watermark certification is there to guarantee that the plumbing products purchased meet Australian Standards which would have guaranteed amongst other things that the taps as per the example mentioned could be fitted.

As an aside, there is a real concern in this country at the moment with persons importing electrical goods that do not meet our standards. Some of our imported food has also caused concern as has toys and other goods. There cannot be a blind eye given to some categories and not others but some still slip through. Australia is undergoing a boom in overseas online purchasing and some of the more dangerous and sometimes illegal goods coming into the country often make the news.

Banned

Hi Adam,

I just noticed that the water meter web site you linked shows that the meter has a NPT thread. I have linked the forum thread I mentioned that dealt with non compliant tap ware which also had NPT threads and you might find it interesting reading.

http://www.renovateforum.com/f194/he...-2-bsp-101230/

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Danny,

Thanks for the info on WaterMark and the link related to pipe thread standards. I will have to look into both a little further.

Thanks again

The obvious question, cost?

1K Club Member

Go to your local Reece or Tradelink and ask them for a price on one of these.
    http://www.relianceworldwide.com.au/...pdm-as3565.pdf
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Banned

Have a look at this blog. The author contributes to this forum and he found a solution at a cost of $1. Renovations08