Hire the best Gas Fitter

Hot Water

Novice

Default Hot Water

Hi

Warning: This may be a stupid question

Our hot water tank runs on off peak electricity and we rarely run out of hot water. But when we do, shouldn't I have sort of control over it?

Say we have people come to stay and we have 4 people in the house instead of 2. After showers the hot water would be gone for the day.

Hot water tanks either seem to be on 24 hours a day. Or on for X hours and if you run out, tough.

The scenario I'm imagining is, 'oh I've run out of hot water and I need some, I'll flick the switch to tell it to come on for an hour'. Maybe that's the Brit in me

Cheers

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by zeroseven View Post
    Maybe that's the Brit in me

Cheers
    Couldn't be that, you wouldn't be talking about regular showers if you were really Brit

I think they used to have systems with 2 elements that could do this, but not sure. These days you are barely allowed to replace an existing electric storage hot water system. It's not environmentally friendly you see, so we all have to spend thousands on a new system to save a couple of hundred dollars a year.

Meanwhile, the government poo-poos any sort of imaginative national solar agenda and continues to support tearing up native forest and digging up as much coal and uranium as they can load on the boats able to dock on the chaotic ports system we have. This is of course, the way to save the planet.

Sorry about that, some sort of mad, rationalist greenie temporarily took over the keyboard

Anyway, hope this helps answer your question,

woodbe.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by woodbe View Post
    Meanwhile, the government poo-poos any sort of imaginative national solar agenda and continues to support tearing up native forest and digging up as much coal and uranium as they can load on the boats able to dock on the chaotic ports system we have. This is of course, the way to save the planet.
    Haha. Like it. I love the way our tank is designed to drip water from its pressure release valve. Genius system. Make it so it wastes water. Anyway....

I just can't understand it If we run out of hot water for all those showers us Brits take at 8am. That's it. No more. Not until the middle of the night when the tank comes back on. What sort of system is that?!? I want hot water, I flick a switch. I want a light to turn on, I flick a switch.

Living in the stone age. At least if we were I could boil water for a unlimited supply

Aww, the good old ripple relay. Unfortunately, (I believe) it's illegal to by-pass this device.

Novice

Just pick myself off the floor.

I thought this was just our hot water tank. But you're saying that no such system exists, the hot water is either on 24 hours a day costing a fortune. Or in my case, it's on for X hours, and when you run out that's it.

There is no hot water system that you can control in Australia? That can't be right. Surely someone else, other than me, wants to be able to tell their hot water system to come on and off at X times, isn't there? Anyone?!!?!?!

Perhaps this is this due to it being a combination of plumbing and electrics and is therefore considered far too dangerous for anyone to have any control of?

3K Club Member

Haha. Like it. I love the way our tank is designed to drip water from its pressure release valve. Genius system. Make it so it wastes water.
    Hell yea. Wait until you see one of these new eco-friendly solar systems in full bloom during the middle of summer on a hot day. Makes the waste from your storage system look like baby's piddle.

We're really onto this stuff in Australia. Everything is high tech and fully thought out before we rush in and do stuff. Like the carbon trading setup, that's going to really show everyone else in the world how to wreck your economy ^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H^H save the world.

woodbe.

3K Club Member

Just pick myself off the floor.

I thought this was just our hot water tank. But you're saying that no such system exists, the hot water is either on 24 hours a day costing a fortune. Or in my case, it's on for X hours, and when you run out that's it.

There is no hot water system that you can control in Australia? That can't be right. Surely someone else, other than me, wants to be able to tell their hot water system to come on and off at X times, isn't there? Anyone?!!?!?!

Perhaps this is this due to it being a combination of plumbing and electrics and is therefore considered far too dangerous for anyone to have any control of?
    Oh no, you can have your existing system connected to normal electricty instead of off-peak. Then you get to pay normal power rate and have hot water whenever you like. You can also put it on a timer or switch, whatever.

Downside is you pay normal rate for the power, and it's dear as heck to make hot water with a resistance element on full rate electricity.

woodbe.

Novice

Oh no, you can have your existing system connected to normal electricty instead of off-peak. Then you get to pay normal power rate and have hot water whenever you like. You can also put it on a timer or switch, whatever.

Downside is you pay normal rate for the power, and it's dear as heck to make hot water with a resistance element on full rate electricity.
    OK. But you can't have leave it on off peak electricity and have a switch to overide it to come on when you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    Unfortunately, (I believe) it's illegal to by-pass this device.
    As I said above

Novice

Sorry Bob, didn't realise that's what you were referring to. This is all new to me. Seems so simple, but it's made so complex.

Thank you both for you answers. Think I'll just stick with what we have then and hope we never have people to stay.

You can get a sparkie to install a boost switch.
    All that it will do is give you a switch (usually in the Meter/Switchboard box) that will turn on the HWS as required
    But it will be on a peak rate tariff not OFF peak

ab1
    Apprentice (new member)

Check you electricty meter.

Some of the newer ones have a boost button.

Well there you go, Nev and ab1 cleared that up. You can get a ripple relay switch installed.

A WHAT

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by nev25 View Post
    You can get a sparkie to install a boost switch.
    All that it will do is give you a switch (usually in the Meter/Switchboard box) that will turn on the HWS as required
    But it will be on a peak rate tariff not OFF peak
    That varies between states. In Tasmania it's illegal to have any sort of changeover relay or other means of connecting an off-peak appliance to any other tariff. It's either off-peak or it's not, you can't switch back and forth as you like (unless it's by means of separate heating elements such as a twin element tank).

In terms of reasoning, if consumers are able to switch their hot water on anytime they like then that defeats the purpose of an off-peak tariff in the first place. The whole idea being that it makes sure the HWS is NOT heating during power demand peaks.

Get a bigger HWS or a proper twin element model if you want a boosting system. That does the job with minimal peak rate power use (since it only heats the top of the tank) thus maintaining most of the benefits of off-peak.

Thanks
    I would also assume it depends on the supply authority

Actually here in VIC they are trying to do away with the off peak tariff entirely

They want customers to only have one (electronic) meter and am offering a cheaper tariff on weekends and at night to compensate