Hire the best Gas Fitter

How to change a kitchen flick mixer

Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default How to change a kitchen flick mixer

    Hi Everyone

    How hard is it to change a flick mixer?

    I know you have to turn the water off at the mains but thats about it.

    Should i be able to do this or do i need to get a plumber. Mixer must have holes in the top of the spout as water is spraying out of the top.

    Could anyone give me a step by step process.



  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2007


    It may just be the filter that screws into the business end of the mixer outlet, they sometimes split and spray water out sideways.
    If its a newer installation then you should have mini cocks at the point where the mixer hoses screw on and its a fairly easy changeover, you may need a long reach socket or tube spanner to unscrew the nut holding the mixer down.
    If its an older installation and there are no mini cocks to turn off the water then you will need to turn it off at the mains and if you have a gravity feed hot water system then you will also need to drain the hot water. You may also find (if it's really old) that the taps connections have different threads and you may need to fit different adapters to the water pipes.

  3. #3
    1K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007


    A flick mixer is supposed to have its own isolation valves aswell, and are not recommended for use with gravity fed HW systems......
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

  4. #4
    Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005


    There should be isolating taps under the sink, Depending on the type , some are held in place by two threaded rods with nuts , if its one of those then turn off the water ( under the sink if possable ) and undo hoses then undo the nuts on the rods from the bottom of the mixer, slide the collar down past the threaded rods, and slip it over one hose nut at a time , if you have copper pipes instead of hoses you may have to bend the pipe to get it through the collar, but don't worry most of the new mixers have braded hoses now and are easier to refit
    Now the mixer should just pull up and out the top.
    Take the old mixer with you when you get the new one and check the pipe threads and the diameter needed to fit the hole in the sink and the length of the hoses

    The trouble with life is there's no background music.

Similar Threads

  1. Kitchen sinks - not having mixer tap
    By lucyshouse in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 17th Jun 2009, 10:00 AM
  2. Leaking kitchen mixer tap
    By arose62 in forum Plumbing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 6th Oct 2007, 05:41 PM
  3. Hob Mixer vs Wall Mixer
    By Knurl in forum Bathrooms
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30th Mar 2007, 05:20 PM
  4. Seeking Help On Possible Change Of Doorway
    By Metal Head in forum Doors, Windows, Architraves & Skirts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26th Mar 2007, 12:56 PM
  5. Noisy Flick Mixer - What's the reason
    By Damon_11 in forum Plumbing
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 15th Mar 2007, 01:35 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts