Hire the best Gas Fitter

how to turn off the main water to a house

Apprentice (new member)

Default how to turn off the main water to a house

Hello,

I am trying to work out how to turn off the main water to my house. In the past (in other houses) I have gone out the front, found the water cover, and turned the tap off.

With my new house (I am in Brisbane) there is a cover out the front that says BCC WATER meter (Brisbane city council water meter) however when I open the lid, there is the water meter...... but nothing else (nothing to turn the water off) just a circular clear plastic meter with numbers of how much water I have used..... I dug around, there are no taps, valves, nothing. I then checked the ENTIRE house back, front and sides and there is nothing else. I even checked the neighbours and all we have is this BCC Water Meter....... how on earth do I turn the water off? I looked on youtube and people overseas have water meters like mine but theres has leavers that enable you to turn the water off. What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Luke.

Novice

[quote=elemental;809200]Hello,

I am trying to work out how to turn off the main water to my house. In the past (in other houses) I have gone out the front, found the water cover, and turned the tap off.

With my new house (I am in Brisbane) there is a cover out the front that says BCC WATER meter (Brisbane city council water meter) however when I open the lid, there is the water meter...... but nothing else (nothing to turn the water off) just a circular clear plastic meter with numbers of how much water I have used..... I dug around, there are no taps, valves, nothing. I then checked the ENTIRE house back, front and sides and there is nothing else. I even checked the neighbours and all we have is this BCC Water Meter....... how on earth do I turn the water off? I looked on youtube and people overseas have water meters like mine but theres has leavers that enable you to turn the water off. What am I doing wrong?

Very strange indeed.
    are you sure the stop cock isnt buried?
    it is before the meter on the councils side of the line
    otherwise you will have to make a ph call to the council

1K Club Member

Call the council mate.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter