Hire the best Gas Fitter

Leaks in threaded pipework

Novice

Default Leaks in threaded pipework

Hello all, I am now in the final stages of my ensuite renovation and am currently installing a custom vanity cabinet. I have come across a slight problem with trying to obtain watertight threaded joints with the threaded pipes that protrude from the walls. I have tried pink teflon tape with about 6-8 wraps but although it appears OK, I notice after a while that there is a very slow drip forming. From what I read on the internet, it seems to me that it is due to the fact that these are parallel pipe threads and so do not tighten up on the teflon tape properly when screwed in. I'm also suspicious that the newer threaded pipe threads may be looser than the original pipework.

I am now looking at using thread sealant (aka thread dope in USA) as it appears to be touted as a better and more permanent solution. I found some called "Christys Ultra Seal Thread Sealant Virgin PTFE" although it is not that commonly available (I will need to drive about 40km to get it). I found a similar product at Bunnings (Loxeal), but it doesn't sound quite like what is recommended on other sites (eg. more difficult to remove as it is not a PTFE paste).

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thread dope seems to be more commonly used in the US; surely others have run into this issue?

Thanks

More teflon tape.
    And make sure you get one of the better quality ones which are thicker.

1K Club Member

Loctite 567
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    More teflon tape.
    And make sure you get one of the better quality ones which are thicker.
    Yes but you need to go to a plumbing supplier for proper pink, not the thin bunnings pink crap.

Novice

Well, the pink tape I have is labelled Boston High Density and "complies to BS 4375". I did try more wraps as well ... just not convinced that the tape will give a guaranteed seal with parallel threads, and I don't want even an occasional drip under the back of the vanity after installation. I also looked at Loctite 567, it may be a good alternative but from the TDS it sounds that it can be harder to disassemble if necessary.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ATMNut View Post
    Well, the pink tape I have is labelled Boston High Density and "complies to BS 4375". I did try more wraps as well ... just not convinced that the tape will give a guaranteed seal with parallel threads, and I don't want even an occasional drip under the back of the vanity after installation. I also looked at Loctite 567, it may be a good alternative but from the TDS it sounds that it can be harder to disassemble if necessary.
    No issues with disassembly, don't worry about the name "Loctite". While that company does make thread locking products, this is not one of them. Very easy to disassemble and you can just add a bit more when re-assembling without having to clean the old stuff off. It really is great stuff.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

How far on does it actually screw?
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Novice

It screws on slightly under 15mm - actually that is a brass cap I've been using to temporarily block the end but the fittings will be about the same.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    No issues with disassembly, don't worry about the name "Loctite". While that company does make thread locking products, this is not one of them. Very easy to disassemble and you can just add a bit more when re-assembling without having to clean the old stuff off. It really is great stuff.
    Actually that sounds very good, and I see that I can get it at Repco which is handier for me. I've also found an article recommending anaerobic sealants over solvent based pipe dopes (although it is 20 yrs old) ...
    I have to screw a short extension onto the threaded pipe (to penetrate into the vanity) and then screw on the mini-tap - I assume I need to do this pretty much simultaneously so I don't break the first seal - does it have much working time?

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    Agreed. I use the stuff regularly on far higher pressures found industrially and thus have always used it on any problematic threads at home.

3K Club Member

How to fit a cap using rocket science
    Fit tap washer inside cap and screw into place, no sealant/thread seal required
    or use a compression nut and insert a jumper valve ditto above

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dscn0705.jpg  

Does anyone have any other suggestions? Thread dope seems to be more commonly used in the US; surely others have run into this issue?

Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Loctite 55

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    How to fit a cap using rocket science
    Fit tap washer inside cap and screw into place, no sealant/thread seal required
    or use a compression nut and insert a jumper valve ditto above
    Thanks Cyclic, but I am only using the brass cap until I install the vanity and then replace the cap with a short extension / mini-cock. I could have put a washer in it as you suggest, but after seeing that thread tape didn't seal it completely I continued testing without a washer because I wanted to make sure that (when replaced with the extension / mini-cock) there would be no leaks. Using a washer would just have temporarily avoided the problem until the cap was replaced.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by RodEye View Post
    Loctite 55
    Thanks RodEye, but I think it may have the same problem as tape for parallel threads. If you look at the TDS, it specifically states that it is recommended for metal and plastic tapered pipe threads.

Thanks RodEye, but I think it may have the same problem as tape for parallel threads. If you look at the TDS, it specifically states that it is recommended for metal and plastic tapered pipe threads.
    Beg to differ, I've been using for years.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by RodEye View Post
    Beg to differ, I've been using for years.
    OK thanks for that, makes sense that it should fill up the voids in the threads regardless - actually looking at the TDS for 567 it says the same thing, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.

3K Club Member

Thanks Cyclic, but I am only using the brass cap until I install the vanity and then replace the cap with a short extension / mini-cock. I could have put a washer in it as you suggest, but after seeing that thread tape didn't seal it completely I continued testing without a washer because I wanted to make sure that (when replaced with the extension / mini-cock) there would be no leaks. Using a washer would just have temporarily avoided the problem until the cap was replaced.
    Ok then, use 12 wraps of white thread tape or about 8 wraps of pink and use Locktite #3 as well.
    But you will need to wire brush the old stuff off before redoing the joint for the extension and mini cock so might be best to fit the extender now with the washer in the cap because you might have trouble putting the tape on once the vanity is in place.

OK thanks for that, makes sense that it should fill up the voids in the threads regardless - actually looking at the TDS for 567 it says the same thing, so take it with a grain of salt I guess.
    Can only really recall one incident many years ago where this stuff let me down. It was was on a 1" brass thread, tried teflon tape as a secondary measure, which failed. In the end, resorted to hemp and paste.
    Roughen up thread, wind on in clockwise direction and apply amount according to advisory note on side of canister.
    You may get a bit of shock at the price, but you are saving money aren't you? Doing the work yourself.