Hire the best Gas Fitter

Liquid alternative to teflon thread tape?

Default Liquid alternative to teflon thread tape?

Hi crew,

Does anyone know have any experience with using a thread sealant for a copper pipe fitting instead of the usual teflon tape?

Reason I ask is that the faucet for my bath was busted off and I need to fit an male to female fitting to extend the threads/outlet hole so I can reattach a tap to it.
    The issue is that I will not have a lot of access around the outlet tap and so being able to wrap teflon tape properly will be a pain. I'm not very keen to make a big hole around the tap opening as I need to glue a half sized 300x600mm tile over the area and would like to have as much surface area for the tile glue as possible.

I've attached a picture of my problem and the fitting I want to attach to give me a bit more length to attach the tap too.

The end of the copper outlet pipe was broken off - I suspect by the crew that renovated the bathroom. They reattached it with silicon and the tap came off the first time I turned the water on - I managed to have a bath, but just inside the tub!

Can a thread sealant be successfully used as an alternative to teflon tape? If not, any advice on how to wrap when you don't have full access to spin? Or any suggested on how to extend this tap and not have to use a teflon tape?

Cheers for the help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 33a2ad56-dd5e-4fbd-bce3-e5ebfb393b10.jpeg   654f35f6-08a0-4495-bc38-605e4a98698a.jpg   f6946e67-739a-40f0-9ead-6f45ec3ebb3c.jpg  

Community Moderator

I used this stuff when I was fitting taps for my flex lines to the basin and it worked well.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/boston-5...alant_p4750075

I used this stuff when I was fitting taps for my flex lines to the basin and it worked well.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/boston-5...alant_p4750075
    Have used the same stuff, no problems from me either.

Loctite 567. very good sealant. Just apply a thin smear to the thread. Routinely use it on damaged threads on much higher pressures than town water.

You can get female to male extension adapters for the fitting.

I use the Loxeal all the time, have tried the other 2 options from Bunnings and didn't like them as much.
    I do a lot of plumbing for coffee machines where teflon tape is best avoided, and find the Loxeal works very well.

1K Club Member

Call me old fashioned, never do I use loctite or lockseal. Yesterday for instance, leaking mini stop under kitchen sink, for the life of me could not budge it to replace. Ended up stuffing around finding the correct size 'o' ring to repair leak. Turns out the home owner had used locktite on the thread.

All plumbing fittings should be able to be removed and not locked in place for the bunny plumber to fix it later.

O.P's issue is to wind teflon on to thread with a thin screwdriver and an m and f socket screwed on to extend thread. There are many chrome coverplates on the market to make up the gap.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    Call me old fashioned, never do I use loctite or lockseal. Yesterday for instance, leaking mini stop under kitchen sink, for the life of me could not budge it to replace. Ended up stuffing around finding the correct size 'o' ring to repair leak. Turns out the home owner had used locktite on the thread.

All plumbing fittings should be able to be removed and not locked in place for the bunny plumber to fix it later.

O.P's issue is to wind teflon on to thread with a thin screwdriver and an m and f socket screwed on to extend thread. There are many chrome coverplates on the market to make up the gap.
    Loctite 567 is a "low" strength "thread sealant", it would make very little difference to how hard a fitting was to undo. If they used a medium or high strength Loctite "threadlocker" like 242 (medium strength) or 271 (high strength) it would make it harder to remove, but these products are not designed for this job. Loctite is a brand name and not a description of the product. I've used 567 loctite for over 20 years several times per week and have never had any issues undoing anything that was sealed with it.I have also successfully sealed threads with it that thread tape wouldn't. The only time I won't use it is on non-metal fittings like plastic, as it's not designed for that and can sometimes attack certain plastics.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

4K Club Member

I use Christy's Ultra Seal thread sealing compound. Works really well where Teflon tape is a pain. Get it at any plumbing supplier.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions!

I'll give a shot with Loxeal or Boston as I can get it tommorow from the big green shed and they're fairly cheap.

Misso will love being able to run a bath after the tap being busted for the last 5 years! RIP my water bills (n)

Is there any waterproofing around that fitting?

ive always used Stag joining paste and not had an issue with leaking threads.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

Community Moderator

Stag, I thought that went out with red lead and hemp, but hemp is still used but Stag sets hard and difficult to remove.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Stag, I thought that went out with red lead and hemp, but hemp is still used but Stag sets hard and difficult to remove.
    I bought a 200ml tube of Stag many years ago and it is the tube that just keeps on giving. May last me the rest of my life. Main problem I have found with it is I can;t help be covered by the stuff after I've used it. Haven't had an issue with having to undo fittings with it. The way I see it, if there is a leak behind a tiled area, having to apply strength to undo a fitting is the minor issue.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...