Hire the best Gas Fitter

Loose toilet seat

Novice

Default Loose toilet seat

My toilet seat keeps coming loose. It is one where the lid comes down slowly by itself. I can take it off the 2 fixing posts and tighten them with the allen key as tight as possible . Good for a few days and then the seat gets out of alignment again. When i remove the seat again, i can see that the 2 posts have lost their tightness, not much but just enough to let the seat rim move. How can i stop the seat from moving ? Thanks.

My toilet seat keeps coming loose.
    In what direction ? Pictures really help.

The mounting points are usually eccentric mounted, adjust them to the centre that you require. That is assuming I have understood what “loose” is.

I think sometimes the problem may be the bowl itself and you just don't get a good fit for the washer underneath.

Liquid nail the entire seat to the bowl in the down position and work on improving your aim.

You’re welcome.
    I'm no expert, but know enough to be dangerous...

The fixing screws are usually way thinner than the hole in the bowl and the seat relies on how tight the screws are with no sideways support. Depending on the seating habits of the locals, sideways movement will make the seat invariably slide.
    You can try to fit a plastic plug in the oversized hole in the bowl so that the screw has a tight fit and some sideways hold.
    A picture of the contraption would help.
    Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance
    Confucius

As well as the above the seat could well be a poor fit to the pan's rim. A decent seat needs to be solid with good grip pads to resist sideways movement.

Golden Member

If the "slow" close seat design is anything like mine, when you remove it make sure everything is clean and dry before you put it back together. Any sign of residue (urine, cleaning product) will definitely affect the "fix". Also the seat designs these days seam to be easily affect with sideways pressure and once someone has exerted pressure for side movement, if there is residue around the top of the bowl and it gets under the rubber grommet/grip pads, then its all over red rover.

I used to have this issue more frequently in the main toilet with one member of the household that would always be leaning over exerting sideways pressure looking out the window (we have a clear window down to head height in the seated position on a country block). Some re-education on what not to do with a toilet seat seems to have reduced the occurrence down to 18 months. Make sure no one is standing on them.

Put the dunny roll within easy reach and board up the window to stop the users twisting around on the seat or take Gooner's advice and glue it!!!!

1K Club Member

When tightening with the allen key, if think you've tightened enough, you probably haven't. The bolt you are tightening is similar to a loxon where it becomes tight, you need to keep going so it expands underneath.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work