Hire the best Gas Fitter

Need help replacing philmac rural end to mains meter.

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Ashford, NSW.
    Posts
    6

    Default Need help replacing philmac rural end to mains meter.

    Hi,.

    We've managed to wrap our heads around & plumb much of our house using Philmac 3G Metric & sharkbite.

    We've got a leak from our end of our Council mains meter & want to replace it with exactly the same part.

    We're pretty sure the part is: Philmac Rural end connector Poly x MI BSB 1 1/4" x 1". Philmac Part # 998243 00 but happy to be corrected

    However, as we're not used to using Philmac 'Rural', we're having trouble removing the insert on the pipe end (Yellow arrow pointing to 'insert' in attached photo - Apologies for not knowing the lingo )

    Trying to avoid cutting the pipe to add new joiner.

    Is there any plumbing tricks to remove this insert?

    We have tried boiling water & gently easing it out with hammer &screw driver but not budging.

    Will much appreciate any advice you have.

    Cheers, mains-plumbing-edited-gimp.jpg

  2. #2
    Community Moderator phild01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sydney, north
    Posts
    16,579

    Default

    Hi PaulyD, can you please update your profile location with your state NSW or SA! It helps with relevant advice.

  3. #3
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,140

    Default

    Have never used them myself but the grip ring needs to be slid back before removing the insert.
    https://www.vinidex.com.au/app/uploa...n-Fittings.pdf

  4. #4
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Ashford, NSW.
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Hi PaulyD, can you please update your profile location with your state NSW or SA! It helps with relevant advice.
    Have done in settings to N.S.W.

  5. #5
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Ashford, NSW.
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Have never used them myself but the grip ring needs to be slid back before removing the insert.
    https://www.vinidex.com.au/app/uploa...n-Fittings.pdf
    Hi Droog,

    Yes we did slide the grip back when trying to remove the insert.

    This picture was taken when we were putting it back together because we knew we couldn't get the part on a Saturday afternoon & still need to function with showers & filling buckets of water for other water use.

    I must note, after this pic was taken we washed all parts of dirt & grit as best as we could to unsuccessfully try one last time for a seal.

    Thank you for the link Droog, I had unsuccessfully tried to google this yesterday.

    Your link shows that unlike the 3G Metric, you really need to hammer in the insert of the 'rural', hence why it is not only proving difficult to remove & replace but also why it is used at the mains instead of the 3G metric.

    Cheers from PaulyD

  6. #6
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Ashford, NSW.
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Hi phild01,

    Have done, now set to Ashford NSW.

  7. #7
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulyD View Post
    Hi Droog,

    Yes we did slide the grip back when trying to remove the insert.

    This picture was taken when we were putting it back together because we knew we couldn't get the part on a Saturday afternoon & still need to function with showers & filling buckets of water for other water use.

    I must note, after this pic was taken we washed all parts of dirt & grit as best as we could to unsuccessfully try one last time for a seal.

    Thank you for the link Droog, I had unsuccessfully tried to google this yesterday.

    Your link shows that unlike the 3G Metric, you really need to hammer in the insert of the 'rural', hence why it is not only proving difficult to remove & replace but also why it is used at the mains instead of the 3G metric.

    Cheers from PaulyD

    From the look of it the seal is an o-ring.
    Either the o-ring is damaged or the seat it sits in is damaged. Swap the o-ring out and check the seat for damage.

    https://www.valvewarehouseaustralia....hilmac-o-ring/

  8. #8
    Apprentice (new member)
    Join Date
    Nov 2022
    Location
    Ashford, NSW.
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    From the look of it the seal is an o-ring.
    Either the o-ring is damaged or the seat it sits in is damaged. Swap the o-ring out and check the seat for damage.

    https://www.valvewarehouseaustralia....hilmac-o-ring/
    Thanks Droog. Cheers for the o-ring link. Have checked the O-ring. It appears to be undamaged but will certainly replace it & check that before going harder with replacing the whole lot on Monday.

    It's the seat it sits in (what I called pipe insert) that we are having problems removing & by the looks of the first link that you provided me, the reason why is because it is barbed (hence the need to tap it in with a rubber mallet).

    If we can't remove it, we'll need to cut the pipe, making us short. If so, unless I can find another way, I'm concluding that we'll need to make up the difference by putting in a joiner or I am looking at the meter end & wondering whether I can make an extension there using extra threaded socket & nipples.

    Both options I am trying to avoid as I want to replace with exactly what is there because I'm uncomfortable fiddling around the mains to begin with.

    Cheers PaulyD

  9. #9
    4K Club Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Sunshine Coast
    Posts
    4,059

    Default

    Dry the fitting and run some silicone/gasket goo/locktite #3/ liquid thread seal/ over the O ring.
    Works for me.

  10. #10
    Seasoned DIY droog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bendigo
    Age
    58
    Posts
    3,140

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PaulyD View Post
    Thanks Droog. Cheers for the o-ring link. Have checked the O-ring. It appears to be undamaged but will certainly replace it & check that before going harder with replacing the whole lot on Monday.

    It's the seat it sits in (what I called pipe insert) that we are having problems removing & by the looks of the first link that you provided me, the reason why is because it is barbed (hence the need to tap it in with a rubber mallet).

    If we can't remove it, we'll need to cut the pipe, making us short. If so, unless I can find another way, I'm concluding that we'll need to make up the difference by putting in a joiner or I am looking at the meter end & wondering whether I can make an extension there using extra threaded socket & nipples.

    Both options I am trying to avoid as I want to replace with exactly what is there because I'm uncomfortable fiddling around the mains to begin with.

    Cheers PaulyD
    If you think the leak is between the insert and the poly then removing the insert will not help. This junction is helped seal by the grip ring, for it to leak tells me the poly is damaged enough that the grip ring cannot force and seal the poly to the insert.
    I would still try a new o-ring and seat, the one squid hand is holding.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 7
    Last Post: 18th Aug 2022, 04:47 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11th Jan 2021, 06:29 PM
  3. Mains water renew (Meter to house)
    By lexdon in forum Plumbing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 31st Mar 2016, 09:02 PM
  4. Replies: 11
    Last Post: 29th Jan 2012, 11:49 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •