Hire the best Gas Fitter

New shower head - existing pipe nipple is too long

Default New shower head - existing pipe nipple is too long

I got a new shower head for my bath, but when I went to install it I found that the pipe nipple coming out of the wall is too long for it. When I thread on the new shower head neck, it stops with a 5-10mm gap to the tiles, and also angled to the right instead of downward like it should be. The pipe nipple looks to have tapered threads on it, which I think is to be expected. Is the solution here to take a hack saw and file to the nipple, in order to shorten it? Or remove the nipple and replace with a shorter one? In the latter case, I might need an internal wrench, because the nipple has threads right back to the tile, so I don't think I could get a regular wrench on it without destroying them (and I wouldn't want to do that, then be unable to get it off, and also unable to put the old shower head back on).

pxl_20211014_110335340_copy_756x1008.jpg

pxl_20211014_110327583_copy_756x1008.jpg
    Owen in Melbourne

3K Club Member

Use the hacksaw, do NOT attempt to remove the wall fitting, it is part of the inwall plumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Use the hacksaw, do NOT attempt to remove the wall fitting, it is part of the inwall plumbing.
    OK. Google searches seem to suggest that at least sometimes it is plumbed in the wall with a threaded elbow, and then a threaded nipple into that to bring it out of the wall.

How do I get it so my new outlet pipe threads on and ends up pointing down? Just cut back a bit more of the pipe than needed, use teflon tape, etc?
    Owen in Melbourne

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by autojack View Post
    OK. (1) Google searches seem to suggest that at least sometimes it is plumbed in the wall with a threaded elbow, and then a threaded nipple into that to bring it out of the wall.

(2) How do I get it so my new outlet pipe threads on and ends up pointing down? Just cut back a bit more of the pipe than needed, use teflon tape, etc?
    (1) You might get the one in a million threaded elbow so if you wish to take the gamble by all means do so.

(2) Correct as I said above in #2 but no guarantee you will get it right, just have to do test fit without thread tape as it is one of those things learnt by trial and error
    as in trial ( that worked well) and error ( oh krap cracked a tile)
    and after cutting with hacksaw you may need a die block to run over the thread again.
    I still have a couple of die blocks but last time I was in Reece (2 years ago) I saw one at $44

If there is no water seeping I find using a flap disc on a grinder is an easy way to fine tune the cut cyclic indicated.

Community Moderator

Before you cut it thread on of these nuts on as it will make it easier as it will reform the distorted cut thread as it is removed, saves a bit of work if the cut isn't exactly perfect.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-...k-nut_p4700216

4K Club Member

I've always wondered why you can't get spacers of different depths so you don't need to cut the thread.
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    I've always wondered why you can't get spacers of different depths so you don't need to cut the thread.
    You can, they are called escutcheon rings and they look like someone was too lazy to cut the thread.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    You can, they are called escutcheon rings and they look like someone was too lazy to cut the thread.
    Or too cheap to purchase a part?

Cut the pipe. Rings mean something went wrong.

2K Club Member

I would be tempted to use the ‘escutcheon ring’ as your next shower head might require a longer nipple - and if you’ve cut it off …

4K Club Member

Maybe it comes down to the personal aesthetic as I prefer the look of the wall plate/escutcheon ring.

1K Club Member

Might be a banana bender thing but we've always called them 'cover plates' in Vic and they come in all different sizes.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

2K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    Might be a banana bender thing but we've always called them 'cover plates' in Vic and they come in all different sizes.
    Yes. Cover plates in Vic. I was beginning to think that I was living in an alternative universe.

3K Club Member

There are cover plates as you call them, referred to in Qld as flanges, which come in flat and more than one type of raised,
    and there are also escutcheon rings which are larger in dia to allow the shower or flange to sit neatly inside the ring.
    And if you cut the nipple then find the thread is not long enough for the next shower, then you extend it.
    But I do understand that sounds a bit like too hard for you southern people.
    Nighty nite boys and girls.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default New shower head - existing pipe nipple is too long

I used a hacksaw, just make sure you file it smooth as it can be sharp after cutting.

My plumber has a special drill fitting to cut/grind it down.

lk