Hire the best Gas Fitter

Plumbing & Electrical compliance certificates

Default Plumbing & Electrical compliance certificates

Hi all,

just wondering why the licensed tradies I have engaged over over the past couple of years have failed to give me certificates of compliance for the work they have done.
    Rewired lighting circuits, renovated kitchen & bathroom new GPO's around the house - $3500 - no certificate.
    Plumbing - as above & water & sewer to new shed - $5000
    What's the go???

1K Club Member

Could be plain laziness or could be the local water authority didnt require one, which I'd find unlikely.
    In the Syd. Water area it would have to be inspected and signed off aswell as the whole drainage system being re-drawn so they have it for future reference.
    But unfortunately a lot of people dont bother, which makes it hard for future plumbers trying to locate a pipe that should be there, or finding stuff that shouldnt be there.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

welcome to the wonderful world of self certification !

Check with the regulatory authority's
    In Vic both should have issued Certificates.
    ie All electrical work
    and Plumbing work over the cost of a certain Value ($500 If my memory serves me correct)
    But NSW not sure

Thanks all for your input.
    The reason I'm asking is for future resale of the property. We got caught out when we bought the house we are still in (even though we engaged a solicitor to check that all was in order before signing contracts, the guy that was recommended to us was on holiday at the time & his associate looked at the contracts for us & indicated that all was good. When the recommended guy spoke to us before settlement his comment was - "well they stitched you up - no plumbing certificate" go figure!!) I did a google search on NSW compliance certificates & my quick reading indicated that one is required for all electrical. A certificate of compliance is required for plumbing work over $750 - I'll give my tradies a call & see what they can do.

4K Club Member

Well there is going to be a lot of missing certificates across NSW, councils only require certificates from plumbers & sparkies in new residential work for hard wired fire alarms & thermostatic mixing valve temperatures, they are self certifying for every thing else I believe
    regards inter

Thanks intertd6,

my concern is not about council regs - they have sent inspectors around & signed off on the work (plumbing only)

What do I get for doing the right thing & engaging qualified tradies to complete work that (hopefully) complies with regs. ie. I spend my money & if someone down the track asks me for certs when wanting to buy the place - what do I show them?? With no certificates, they could rightfully assume that I had done all the work, illegally, myself.

1K Club Member

A certificate of compliance has to be handed over for any new building or major reno before the council will sign it off.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

just wondering how you were 'stitched up' by having no plumbing certificate ?

was there something wrong with the plumbing that you found out later, or just the fact that you didnt have the piece of paper?

Hi Daren,

we discovered a few plumbing issues after we bought the place, mainly concerning a small shed which no longer stands. The stormwater from the shed & back of the house were directed into the sewer. The shed also appeared to have someone living in it & had a shower & toilet which was obviously a diy install.