Hire the best Gas Fitter

plumbing water tanks into hot water service

fool

Default plumbing water tanks into hot water service

hello everyone,
    i've installed two 9000 litre tanks out the back to plumb into the usual toilet and washing machine. as the tanks are 2/3 full i'm starting to look at getting it done.
    The question is, i've also been looking at a hot water recirculator, they look expensive. As its only me and the missus, i'm thinking of plumbing the pump to feed the hot water service (gas storage type). Then installing a solenoid on say a one minute timer(would a refrigeration inline solenoid do the job?), operated by a plunger push switch? to recirculate the hot water, and vent the cool water back into the tank (which is next to the house). does this sound feasible/within regulations?

Next question, If the system your working on isn't connected to the mains, can you legally do your own plumbing? (I intend getting a plumber to do the above)(maybe)

And the last question, re: the water tank grant. theres a bit of a conspiracy theory going around about the grant stating that it's best not to claim it as there trying to find out who's got tanks so that they can tax you for it in the future. (this came from a source at Barwon water). Any thoughts? the $1k grant would pay the plumber who conveniently wants that amount to do the job.

thanks for any ideas

Gravy

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy258 View Post
    hello everyone,
    i've installed two 9000 litre tanks out the back to plumb into the usual toilet and washing machine. as the tanks are 2/3 full i'm starting to look at getting it done.
    The question is, i've also been looking at a hot water recirculator, they look expensive. As its only me and the missus, i'm thinking of plumbing the pump to feed the hot water service (gas storage type). Then installing a solenoid on say a one minute timer(would a refrigeration inline solenoid do the job?), operated by a plunger push switch? to recirculate the hot water, and vent the cool water back into the tank (which is next to the house). does this sound feasible/within regulations?
    Okay well it sound similar in concept to products already on the market. Regarding using those fridge parts, any product or fitting must have the Watermark or Standardsmark to be used on the water line which would make them illegal.
    Products already out there do the same thing with manual push buttons or timers on them. Some pump the cold water from the hot pipe back into the cold supply pipe while others allow you to pump it elsewhere like into your rainwater tank.

Next question, If the system your working on isn't connected to the mains, can you legally do your own plumbing? (I intend getting a plumber to do the above)(maybe)
    You can't do it yourself unless you are not connected at all to any town water supply even if you think your tank system is seperate theres potential for you to mix something up. What would happen if your tank water full of bird shi@ and bacteria somehow was pumping into the water main because you cross connected them somewhere.

And the last question, re: the water tank grant. theres a bit of a conspiracy theory going around about the grant stating that it's best not to claim it as there trying to find out who's got tanks so that they can tax you for it in the future. (this came from a source at Barwon water). Any thoughts? the $1k grant would pay the plumber who conveniently wants that amount to do the job.

thanks for any ideas
    Gravy
    I don't really know or think anyone quotes jobs and conveniently makes it the same price as a rebate.

fool

Okay well it sound similar in concept to products already on the market. Regarding using those fridge parts, any product or fitting must have the Watermark or Standardsmark to be used on the water line which would make them illegal.

sounds fair enoughThat , so is it actually OK to connect tank water into the hot water service, with regards to the contamination issue, the water only heats to about 60 degrees

Products already out there do the same thing with manual push buttons or timers on them. Some pump the cold water from the hot pipe back into the cold supply pipe while others allow you to pump it elsewhere like into your rainwater tank.

I understand that there are products available to do this, but why would I need to buy two pumping devices when one might suffice.

You can't do it yourself unless you are not connected at all to any town water supply even if you think your tank system is seperate theres potential for you to mix something up. What would happen if your tank water full of bird shi@ and bacteria somehow was pumping into the water main because you cross connected them somewhere.

I don't really know or think anyone quotes jobs and conveniently makes it the same price as a rebate.

What about the tax in the future?