Hire the best Gas Fitter

Puttingba shed up over a large storm water drain

Default Puttingba shed up over a large storm water drain

Well I want to build a shed 4.5mx6m which will mainly be used for motorbike storage.

Now it will go right over a 525mm storm water pipe.

Obviously this is a no no but does it pose much of a risk? Or is infcat a good thing as it spreads weight of vehicle over a slab.

Anything else I can do?

3K Club Member

You need to check with Council.
    You may find it is a drainage easement and that portion of land cannot be built on.
    If you get the go ahead you will probably have to pier each side of the drain to spread the weight.

It is a drainage easement.

I don't overly want to get it approved.
    I don't want to pay council thousands to ask to put a small shed on my block.

3K Club Member

Then be prepared to maybe one day have to pull it down and remove the slab.
    Of course should someone know what you have done and complain then Council will have no choice but to issue a demolition order.
    Good chance Council will never have to dig in the area because today's technology means any repairs to the drain would be done internally,
    unless they need to upgrade the drain to carry more flow.
    Your risk, your call.

7K Club Member

4.5x6 is not exactly what would be classed as "small".

Then again, if it's so small, build it to avoid the easement

Golden Member

...Ive done the exact same thing in the past but it was just an empty easement that had been there for 30+ years, so far less risk however everything Cyclic said needs to be considered and even more so for your situation given it has assets in it.

so you have a few options:
    1. go down the legal route and spend a couple of thousand on obtaining permits etc. The process will also engineer a slab/footing to suit the site. Just be aware drains can move/collapse which will be your problem to solve, not the councils.
    2. Build it as your wanting to without permits however if the sh%$ hits the fan, you may be forced to shell out more money, ordered to pull it down or if someone complains, stop part way through the build until the issue is sorted.
    3. take r2nov8or suggestion and move it forward out of the easement, and then proceed with options 1 or 2. At least if you take the no permit route and if its built to code, off the easement, no height issues, color issues and required distance off/along the boundary then unlikely to order you to pull it down if you pay the additional costs on top of the normal costs to get a post construction permit.

Depending how far the council is in its development of spatial technology, there's also the added risk these days the build could be picked up in the future through automated imaginary analysis comparing buildings to permit locations. Its becoming more affordable as each year passes either as a function within the council/utility/Authority or a contracted external service but is dependent on the state of the permit records if they have been spatially captured. Very few councils would be in that position but is definitely heading in this direction. Its already been routinely done by other authorities/utilities in Aus to identify illegal builds over easements, builds in general, builds breaching minimum setback distances from specific assets, vegetation clearing, illegal dam construction etc etc.....big brother is watching!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Bart1080 View Post
    Depending how far the council is in its development of spatial technology, there's also the added risk these days the build could be picked up in the future through automated imaginary analysis comparing buildings to permit locations. .....big brother is watching!!!
    My local council does that, don't think it is automated tho, like comparing now with previous for the whole LGA, but they do use it to look if they are suspicious or just to check what was done matches what was approved, saves a site visit I guess.

1K Club Member

Depending how far the council is in its development of spatial technology, there's also the added risk these days the build could be picked up in the future through automated imaginary analysis comparing buildings to permit locations.
    I think you mean "image" or "imagery" analysis Bart?
    I'm not sure how imaginary analysis would work? Maybe something a Psychologist would do?

I'm in the process of building a second shed in my back yard over my own sewer pipe (I might start a thread on it in the Plumbing section). The regulations say that the sewer line under the slab must be PVC pipe, so I'm going to attempt to put some 100mm DWV PVC pipe inside the clay pipe to make it compliant. I'm not sure in your situation though, as you have much larger pipe and maybe limited access. What is the storm water pipe made of ??
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Don't mean to burst your bubble Whitey, but there is not hope in hell that 100mm dwv pipe will fit inside clay pipe.

7K Club Member

No "development" of imagery technology required... They all subscribe to Nearmap. Job done, and so are the recalcitrant land owners if council chooses

Quote Originally Posted by RodEye View Post
    Don't mean to burst your bubble Whitey, but there is not hope in hell that 100mm dwv pipe will fit inside clay pipe.

Normal clay pipe is 4 inch, close enough to 100mm. Pipe measurement is internal diameter so 100mm DWV is around 110mm external.
    Unless you have some really odd size clay pipe.

But why put pvc in clay pipe, just replace the clay pipe, surely easier than if the other option was possible.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Puttingba shed up over a large storm water drain

Just do it.

Very unlikely it will be dug up unless your neighbours complain (and know there is an easement).

I built a carport over an easement before.

Council don't really care about the easement but require approval from waterboard who owns the easement.

In my case, I couldn't install a footing for the posts over the easement so had to canterlever the carport roof over the easement.

No issue concreting over the easement.

lk

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    I think you mean "image" or "imagery" analysis Bart?
    I'm not sure how imaginary analysis would work? Maybe something a Psychologist would do?

.....was waiting for the spelling police to pick that one up. You pass with flying colors

Quote Originally Posted by bart1080 View Post
    .....was waiting for the spelling police to pick that one up. You pass with flying colors
    colours
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    But why put pvc in clay pipe, just replace the clay pipe, surely easier than if the other option was possible.
    Because there is an old shed there with a concrete slab that is in perfect condition, this will be pulled down and a new bigger shed put up in its place over existing slab.
    I've located the sewer pipe on the other side of the shed by using an auger drill bit welded to a bit of small SHS. It's about 700mm down so I'll dig it up and check the OD of the pipe to see what size it is before doing anything.
    The pipe that goes into the drain on the council side is about 160mm ID so I'm hoping it's the same size all the way.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    colours
    Lol, beat me to it.

Because there is an old shed there with a concrete slab that is in perfect condition, this will be pulled down and a new bigger shed put up in its place over existing slab.
    Oh

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by RodEye View Post
    Huh? How the hell do you know how big my sewer pipe is??
    My bubble is not burst till it pops, and I'm not giving up just yet

Sorry for hijacking your thread gros21, I'll start my own thread in the plumbing section

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    colours
    Lol, beat me to it.
    You've "you have" got to too love the english language when there their they're "there are" so many variations for the same "sounding" or "meaning" of the word and variations across nations.

Based on the best advice advise from an inquiry enquiry to the disk disc of authoritative truth which authorizes authorises lists by the tonne ton or meter metre its no wonder people who migrate via aeroplanes airplanes or ferrie ferrey ferry into a new knew country to too learn english makes an ass a.rse of themselves and takes there their frustration out using an ax axe on a block of wood would to put their there sanity back into check cheque so they "do not" don't go off of the rails before plowing ploughing back into learning the correct way....what ever that might be bee!!! ....very colorful colourful and plane plain language indeed

Must be the hardest language on the planet to learn and then add in rules such as 2 letters like "PH" sounding like a "F" ...makes total sense to the insane and then add in the Aussie slang....its no wonder I get giggles in the background in a meeting room with the odd comment of "how country do you want to sound!"....all in good fun of course.

7K Club Member

... correct way
    way whey weigh