Hire the best Gas Fitter

Question for roof plumbers

Default Question for roof plumbers

Posting here as I'm assuming that roof plumbers might know this. I'm renovating a period house and want to use metal down pipes for the stormwater which means that I'm going to have to make up some bends in the galv downpipe, I don't want to use pop rivets and silicon as this would not be in keeping with the period, which leaves only solder.
    Question is are the joints straight butt joints with only the solder holding them together or are the joints cut with small tabs ( on the inside so they don't show) to give increased holding power through more surface area? The house currently has pvc downpipes so I can't take one apart to see.
    Back when we used to make expansion chambers for our motorcycles we would cut the chamber at half the required bend angle and rotate one half 180deg then weld together for the complete bend, I'm assuming that this is how metal downpipes are done.

Default Downpipe dilemna

[quote=familyguy;764076]Posting here as I'm assuming that roof plumbers might know this. I'm renovating a period house and want to use metal down pipes for the stormwater which means that I'm going to have to make up some bends in the galv downpipe, I don't want to use pop rivets and silicon as this would not be in keeping with the period, which leaves only solder.

You can also get "crimp bends" in gal metal downpipes. (May not suit period home)

If you are making them by cutting, just remember to keep the seam on the back of the downpipe (ie against the wall), and on the top section of the "horizontal' piece (coming from the gutter back to the wall). This prevents you from rotating 180 degrees as you did with the expansion chamber for motorbikes.

Ideally when you join the angle cuts, they should be cut so the upstream piece fits just inside the downstream piece (ie in the direction of the water flow), and the downstream piece should be cut on a slightly wider angle so that the overlapping 3-5 mm can be dressed around the other piece. This gives you a small lap with will strengthen the joint when you solder it. Its fairly tricky work. Thats why rectangular downpipe and PVC are so popular. Hope this helps.

You may have a problem soldering zinc alum. Never tried it myself but I beleive it is at least very dfficult to do.

Good luck
    Bradford

Thanks for the replies, I probably wouldn't have noticed the seam until after it was soldered and I also hadn't thought about soldering zincalume so I'll make sure that I get galvanised steel not zincalume.

1K Club Member

Round downpipes are a mongrel to cut angles in and get right so they can be soldered, as someone suggested you will have to get plain galvanized downpipes as you will have a hassle trying to solder zincalume
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter