Hire the best Gas Fitter

Rectangular Downpipe to 90mm stormwater Adaptor - Correct way to position?

Golden Member

Default Rectangular Downpipe to 90mm stormwater Adaptor - Correct way to position?

Hi

I am changing my setup from the below as I find during downpours the rain spits out in a large diameter decreasing the usability of the area. Area is our Patio.

img_2322-medium-.jpg

To a direct connection with no grill.

Do i Place the adaptor at brick paving height, or just above like the below

img_2324-medium-2-.jpg

or can i have the round part at least if not the whole adaptor, below the brick paving height like the below

img_2325-medium-2-.jpg

The reason being its a smallish patio and main entertaining area, so it will have a more slick look so to speak.

Other there any disadvantages outside of servicablility if it becomes clogged? one person had told me the reason those adapters say 50*100 are not a tight fit is the downpipe needs to breathe, putting it underground would obviously impede that.

Service wise, i can simply lift up the bricks if needed, but the bottom part of the downpip is a extension anyway, so i can drill out one screw and take off the clamp device that holds it to the wall, and pull upwards and it would come out for me to shove a hose in etc.

Any advice?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2324-medium-.jpg   img_2324.jpg   img_2325-medium-.jpg  

Golden Member

Just had one set of advice: YES you can put it all underneath, but I must ensure the adapter is silicon ed into the down pipe, normally there is always some play in this section when left above ground for breathability and water to escape.

So I can have the whole unit underground, but the short vertical piece that will have go into it (in place of the kick out piece there now) he advised I should drill out a small hole in case my now totally sealed system has a blockage and it floods the roof.
    Instead of the round hole being on the face of the unit, I can drill it on one of the sides.

not sure what people think of this

1K Club Member

Best to put an inspection opening above ground and then the adaptor. You may not like the look, but one still needs access into the drain for maintenance.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by plum View Post
    Best to put an inspection opening above ground and then the adaptor. You may not like the look, but one still needs access into the drain for maintenance.
    hi plum thanks for the reply. I realise what you mean about the adaptor above ground, but what do you mean "inspection opening"?

llike this

Installation

?

1K Club Member

Not that type, but a 90mm tee with a screwed cap.

Inspection openings are great, in this case though I would set the top of the DP adaptor 5 to 10mm above top of paving, benefits of being above the pavers is silt wont wash down it & you wont get premature rusting of the DP as it would if it was below paver height, simply unscrew the astragal & lift out the DP if access for maintenance is required.
    Lashings will continue until morale improves.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by woodchip View Post
    Inspection openings are great, in this case though I would set the top of the DP adaptor 5 to 10mm above top of paving, benefits of being above the pavers is silt wont wash down it & you wont get premature rusting of the DP as it would if it was below paver height, simply unscrew the astragal & lift out the DP if access for maintenance is required.
    As stated, 'inspection openings are great', so what you suggest is totally disregard the original access into the drain and rely on lifting or sliding the downpipe up to get access, normally this causes damage to clips and scratching of painted or colorbond downpipes.

The original installation on reflection is also draining any water off the paved area, so this should also be taken into account.

Golden Member

Hi

I endedup doing it the way woodchip mentioned, sort of. See below I have the adaptor just above paver height and not glued. Also the downpipe extender piece is not pot riveted, just held in place by the astragal (clip) and it sitting on the adaptor. So its no longer below ground and totally sealed off.

img_2357-medium-.jpgimg_2359-medium-.jpgimg_2360-medium-.jpgimg_2361-medium-.jpgimg_2362-medium-.jpg

So now I can undo the clip, slide the DP up and also take off the adaptor completely to access the 90mm round hole with say a hose etc.

In regards to plums comment about the original setup of the patio, actually the original setup was like this, I changed it to the grill, and now due to when it rains a large area much bigger than the grate gets wet, i changed it back to this setup. There is a few open drain grills, much smaller squares at paver height for any patio flooding.

That said, i note your comments about damaging the paint , obviously i havent painted them yet as I dont know my final colours (still debating that with the wife). But any repairs shouldnt be too hard if small scratching occurs.
    It didnt take very long at all, so I will change the setup again if needed.

Plum would you have placed a 90mm tee with screwed on cap, starting at paver height? and then the adaptor?

thanks for the replies

You'll more than likely find that you'll need to glue in that DP adaptor(or get an internal one). Get rid of that "knock in" for the astragal & just use a green plug & gal or SS screw, if your going to be removing this to inspect.
    cheers
    Lashings will continue until morale improves.

1K Club Member

ye, tee first then adaptor.

Another alternative is to fit a tee in the ground,bring it to surface level and fit a 90mm square grate flush with paving.This doubles as point of access and a form of overflow.