Hire the best Gas Fitter

Replacing Old Gal Pipe from Main to the house.

Apprentice (new member)

Default Replacing Old Gal Pipe from Main to the house.

Hi Guys,

Need some advice.
    My house is an old terrace where the pipe from the main to the house is a gal pipe and there is no main shut off switch or meter.

1) Can I request Sydney Water to install a shut off switch ?
    No work can be done currently at there is no shut off switch.

2) Plumber advised that the whole gal pipe should be shut off and I should dig up the road and install a new copper
    pipe from the main to the house including a water meter & main switch. Quoting about 10-15K.

Does this sound right ?

Cheers
    Ant

Have you checked with Sydney water re meter etc? Is is possible that the terrace maybe was at one point fed as a block of units? They have to be able to charge somehow for your usage. I would ask the plumber why they couldn't use plastic, it would be a heap cheaper.

1K Club Member

If they are quoting 10-15k for a main to meter, the difference in using copper to any other product is not why the price is so high. A coil of 20mm copper is around $250 and plastic anywhere between $60 and $120.

Probably need Wonderplumbs' input in regard to Sydney water procedure.

3K Club Member

I replaces my pipe between the house and meter about 15 years ago, using class 16 plastic water pipe, cost less than $50.00 for pipe and fittings.

Good luck.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Apprentice (new member)

I guess I should ask for a cost break down.
    As they are saying we need to get traffic control and dig up the road to do this.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by wongant View Post
    I guess I should ask for a cost break down.
    As they are saying we need to get traffic control and dig up the road to do this.
    If the road is not part of your property then it would be the responsibility of the water supplier I would think.

Up here in Central Qld anything past the meter is the home owners problem, the meter and papes beyond are maintained by the local water authority.
    Growing old is compulsory, growing up is not.
    http://www.wet-seal.com.au/waterproofing/locations.html

Old Chippy 6K

You need to talk to Sydney Water about your issue- not via a plumber. First step is to get water supplied to your house meter. Sydney Water is obliged to provide the connection from the main to a meter on your block of land (at their cost as they charge everyone fixed 'supply charges' on every bill!) - and to provide a meter if there is none. That will usually be just inside the boundary. Then you are responsible to have the house supply connected to that meter - so a plumber does that and you pay. Then your real fun and expense starts as you replace the gal pipe likely to be in the house too.
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Doesn't every property in Sydney have a water meter ? How do they charge you for the amount you currently use ? As others have said, the supply/meter to the boundary is the authorities job, after that your on your own. I would suggest putting a ball valve in line between the front garden tap and the house. This way you can shut the water supply down to the house while still having water at the front tap always and you dont have to go into the meter box unless a total shut down is required

Apprentice (new member)

Default replacing old gal pipe

Hi Wongant
    most properties have a meter, but not all, and there is an unmetered service charge.
    unfortunately the pipe from the main to your boundary is legally "yours". if it needs repair Sydney Water will fix it, but if you want to replace it, its up to you
    if the main is on your side of the road, you're lucky, otherwise you need a plumber who does directional drilling, as digging up the road is not really feasible

if all you want is a ball valve you could get a plumber to freeze the water in the pipe and install one, but ask them to look at the pipe carefully first, as its risky if the old gal pipe collapses
    Sydney Water won't install a meter on a gal pipe, not even a new one

info here:
    Meters

Christ, what sort of hillbilly city is Sydney

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    Christ, what sort of hillbilly city is Sydney
    A bloody disgrace is what that is having read that link provided by Steve22. An abrogation of municipal utility responsibility. I'd be finding my local MP and whinging loud and long. They should be supplying water to the property and the meter (which they do supply and demand you have - if you look at the digram on the link is shows the meter sits between two pieces of pipe which belong to the owner!
    Advice from me on this forum is general and for guidance based on information given by the member posing the question. Not to be used in place of professional advice from people appropriately qualified in the relevant field. All structural work must be approved and constructed to the BCA or other relevant standards by suitably licensed persons. The person doing the work and reading my advice accepts responsibility for ensuring the work done accords with the applicable law.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    A bloody disgrace is what that is having read that link provided by Steve22. An abrogation of municipal utility responsibility. I'd be finding my local MP and whinging loud and long. They should be supplying water to the property and the meter (which they do supply and demand you have - if you look at the digram on the link is shows the meter sits between two pieces of pipe which belong to the owner!

And they say Qlders are backwards

Old Chippy 6K

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    And they say Qlders are backwards
    Who says that! Surely not all, just most . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Bloss View Post
    Who says that! Surely not all, just most . . .

Just the ones that haven't moved here......yet

1K Club Member

Unfortunately, it is the same in Melbourne, when Jeff sold off our MMBW, it became a user pay situation. I'm betting though that there is a shut off valve in the footpath in what we call a Fitzroy box, but over the years with new footpaths, they get tossed along the way and the concretors just concrete over the top.

I cant believe the water main is under the road. How sad is that ? We have them in the footpath. Sure there are mains junctions under roads but the supply for houses runs down the foothpath just inside from the gutter. If some wants connection on the other side of the street urban utilities come out and cut strip out of the road, runs the pipe and fit a meter. Bitumen crew turn up and fill it in. All good.

1K Club Member

I must add, what I'm talking about are the very old inner suburbs that haven't had the main replaced, there are less and less as they upgrade mains in the streets.
    On another note some of the new estates have two mains, one for drinking water, the other for non-potable use [recycled water], but that isn't what this threads about so I wont go on.

1K Club Member

There will be an isolation valve there somewhere. I would also bet that the service from the main to the isolation valve is infact copper and then it will be gal from there in. Get onto Sydney Water and get someone out there to have a look. I know of a few older places that still don't have water meters in Sydney.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter