Hire the best Gas Fitter and save up to 40%

Shower tap spindle turning too far

Golden Member

Default Shower tap spindle turning too far

I had a dripping shower so I carefully eased the seat - if that's the right expression - with a tap reseater. Fine. Now the seat is too deep for the spindle thread, so turning off the shower results in a tap that turns infinitely. It doesn't leak, but it has popped out the bottom of the thread .... if that makes sense.
    Options:
    1. Get a new longer spindle from my favourite plumbing store;
    2. Create a packer that sits between the spindle and the tap washer i.e. lengthens the spindle depth a couple of mm.
    Any views? Any better alternatives?
    Cheers

Are you sure spindle extenders have not been fitted and part dropped out while you were reseating it ?

Longer spindles are longer in the shaft out the front not in the depth into the fitting.

Something is not right reseating a breech should only take less than a mm out, if the spindle really has run out of thread then it sounds like the spindle is wrong for the breech.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Compleat Amateu View Post
    I had a dripping shower so I carefully eased the seat - if that's the right expression - with a tap reseater. Fine. Now the seat is too deep for the spindle thread, so turning off the shower results in a tap that turns infinitely. It doesn't leak, but it has popped out the bottom of the thread .... if that makes sense.
    Options:
    1. Get a new longer spindle from my favourite plumbing store;
    2. Create a packer that sits between the spindle and the tap washer i.e. lengthens the spindle depth a couple of mm.
    Any views? Any better alternatives?
    Cheers
    1. Should not need longer unless the breech is too deep and the handle is binding on the flange
    2. Plain tap washer will work for that but not rubber, use the red hard type or a hydraseal which already has a yellow packer washer on it.
    Probably find the spindle thread is the problem so new wall stop is easiest.

1K Club Member

I very often use the yellow spacer [packer] from the Hydro seal washers on a washer to remedy this type of problem. Sounds like you may have gone overboard grinding the seat down.
    Love it when DIYERS pin the blame on plumbers for their own shoddy work

How long did you grind the seat for, surely you could not have taken that much material off to cause the spindle to be too short as there, not a lot of material in there to start with.

Usually reseating the tap with the tools takes about 5 seconds max, maybe another 5 seconds if the seat is really stuffed.

There must be another issue such as a part is missing that you misplaced when taking the spindle out ?
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Golden Member

Thanks gents. No, I didn't go overboard in the reseating, at least not that I think, and there wasn't a spindle extender, I'm pretty careful with that stuff . I do like those orange soft touch tap washers, so that might be part of the problem.
    I think the Hydroseal yellow packer may be the least intrusive way to start anyway.
    Regards

Golden Member

Be careful what you conclude the problem is, or confessions of an idiot 1A1. Changing washers etc seemed to fix the problem, then it recurred. Closer examination after chatting to Tom the plumber revealed the true cause. The plastic nut joining the spindle and the tap handle was stripped. $4.45 repair, the fuel to drive to the plumbing supplies place would have bee more.