Hire the best Gas Fitter

Shower temp control difficult since switching to ceramic disc taps

Default Shower temp control difficult since switching to ceramic disc taps

The bathroom in the Victorian we bought last year had old brass washer taps for the sink and tub/shower (separate taps and outlets for the bathtub vs. shower head). The shower taps were leaking, and since I didn't like the brass look I replaced them with new chrome 1/4 turn ceramic disk taps - they're the 'Posh' range from Reece. They work great, except for one thing: getting the water temperature right requires micro-adjustment to the tap handle. Once you get it set, it is fine and doesn't change at all, but it's a bit annoying having to adjust it a hair at a time to get the temp right. Is there anything I can do about this? I'm guessing not - the only thing I can think of is that the water pressure in the house may be fairly high, and perhaps a pressure reducer at the main would help somewhat. Otherwise, maybe a more expensive brand of tap would have been a better choice? Thanks for any suggestions.
    Owen in Melbourne

Is your hot water system mains pressure ?
    Gravity feed does not go well with 1/4 turn taps.

If it is mains is there a pressure limiting valve on the feed to the hot water ?

We have a couple of different brand 1/4 turn but hot water is mains and no pressure limiting on the feed. Just turn hot on full then adjust cold to suit, usually takes just 2 maybe three small adjustments in the first 15-20 seconds.

1/4 turn is a pretty narrow range for adjustment.
    I've always gone with the 1/2 turn versions and have had no issues. ie these

When I had those in a previous place I did like droog suggested - full on hot, adjust with the cold

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    When I had those in a previous place I did like droog suggested - full on hot, adjust with the cold

Not necessary to go full on hot unless it is a gas instantaneous water heater but all showers should be used that way,
    hot on until it comes out the shower head then bring the cold on to temper it.
    Most taps in showers are touchy to get the temperature right unless they are thermostatically controlled, and changing to half/threequarter turn usually does not help.
    We still use jumper valve taps and have no problems but I do agree, showers do take a very fine adjustment to get comfortable and most people don't understand there is a time delay
    between the adjustment and when the water comes from the shower head due to the distance the water has to flow.

unless it is a gas instantaneous water heater
    Ah yes, mine was, which was probably the main reason.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Shower temp control difficult since switching to ceramic disc taps

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    1/4 turn is a pretty narrow range for adjustment.
    I've always gone with the 1/2 turn versions and have had no issues. ie these
    Agree, 1/4 turn amplifies any small adjustments.

Not problems with 1/2 turn for showers/basin.

1/4 is perfectly fine for laundry or dishwasher where it’s either on or off.

Sent fro

4K Club Member

1/2 turns are better than 1/4 turns for adjustment. Is your shower head Watermark rated (i.e. flow constricted)? If it is, then that exacerbates the problem if the water delivery is high pressure. A pressure reduction valve on your plumbing might help.

We have tank water only with an adjustable pump set to fairly low pressure, 1/2 turn taps and a flow restricted shower head. I turn the hot full on and then add cold water to taste. As the cold gets turned on less hot gets delivered, because overall the same amount of water comes out of the head. I have the problem that the adjustment is too fine, the opposite of your problem.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    Is your hot water system mains pressure ?
    Gravity feed does not go well with 1/4 turn taps.

If it is mains is there a pressure limiting valve on the feed to the hot water ?

We have a couple of different brand 1/4 turn but hot water is mains and no pressure limiting on the feed. Just turn hot on full then adjust cold to suit, usually takes just 2 maybe three small adjustments in the first 15-20 seconds.
    Indeed, I have just checked: there IS a 350 kpa pressure limiting valve on the hot water heater output, but as far as I know nothing like that on the cold. You can definitely tell the difference, as when you have the hot only turned on, and then you turn on cold, the flow increases quite a bit. Maybe time to have a flow limiter put onto the cold side as well?
    Owen in Melbourne

4K Club Member

it's certainly suboptimal to have different delivery pressures for hot and cold water.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba