Hire the best Gas Fitter

A small Boo-Boo Repair advice asked for

4K Club Member

Default A small Boo-Boo Repair advice asked for

So I'm doing a very small job and I just put the crowbar through the charged storm water drain off the garage.
    Any adice on how to quickly fix this because we can't get a registered plumber or drainer for lover or money.
    My first thought is to clean it off as best I can, cut a patch from a new PVC angle, smother it in solvent and push it into place then foam pad it and concrete over the top.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_2060.jpg   img_2055.jpg   img_2057.jpg   img_2058.jpg  
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

4K Club Member

It looks like you have holed an elbow. I've patched straight pipes by making up a sleeve, glueing with solvent cement and then strapping to hold together whilst it sets. Getting a piece to sit with no gaps on a compound bend might be a bit tricky. Probably best to demolish the garage and start again. You could try to dig out the pipe enough to get some flex, then carefully cut up the damaged elbow and remove the pieces, and replace with new.

If you do a patch, don't concrete over until sure it is not leaking.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

4K Club Member

Bloody 'ell Moondog, within minutes of my post, I've walked outside, and holed a stormwater pipe myself.

img_0966.jpg
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    Bloody 'ell Moondog, within minutes of my post, I've walked outside, and holed a stormwater pipe myself.

OMG I can not lie. Ted laughed so hard at this he could not breathe. I'm sorry!!
    I am not responsible for anything that Moondog says!

Golden Member

Cut out a piece of PVC (either from a straight pipe or another bend.
    Heat it with a heat gun or hairdryer until its pliable and press over the pipe to shape the part.
    Wait for it to cool or pour cold water to speed it up.
    Use primer and cement to finish.

As its under pressure, not sure of holding power...or the amount of pressure its holding back. Ive done this method for non charged systems. You could get a couple of stainless clamps each side as additional holding power.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-...clamp_p0110761

The only other alternative is to pop off the bend with some heat and replace it. You will need to cut the bend in half, heat and peel it off. The new one will slip straight on.

4K Club Member

Cut the fitting first with a hacksaw blade or you will risk cracking the pipe. Then carefully seperate the flange from the pipe with a chisel. Clean up the ends and trial fit a new fitting. Use lots of glue on both the sleeve and pipe so that it remains slippery for a few minutes, and fit the replacement elbow.

img_0967.jpg img_0968.jpg img_0969.jpg

Job done. Only takes 30 minutes once you've done it a few times!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_0966.jpg  

4K Club Member

I'ff fix it properly tommorow, if it doesn't rain 300mm overnote

4K Club Member

The repair took about 90 seconds, the preparation work for the repair took about 5 hours. I used Ceciles hair dryer on high to soften the glue line on the broken angle piece and it simply peeled off once I had it all clear. I then had to dig out the pipe a full 900mm to give me the wriggle room to get the new angle in place. Thanks for the advice and on-line help; every day I ask a question I learn something new.
    While I have a deep hole in this place I might as well plant a fence post; how much wrapping does the pipe need? Is a single layer of grey CCF enough?