Hire the best Gas Fitter

something something Copper pipe

Default something something Copper pipe

My simple retiling of the bathroom is looking to turn into a bigger than expected job. Oh well, it's a learning experience.

So, I'm going to have to take out the vanity.

Is it legal for me to cut the pipes & pinch them/plug them/seal them/something something them, until it's time to return the vanity & thus get the plumber in? Or do I need to pester the poor bugger to drive out, cut&close and return at a later date?

Cheers

Dear LordBug,
    Quote Originally Posted by LordBug View Post
    Is it legal for me to cut the pipes & pinch them/plug them/seal them/something something them, until it's time to return the vanity & thus get the plumber in?
    Whilst I'm uncertain of the exact answer in this crazy Politically Overcorrect world that we now live in, one thing I do know is - if the first-half of the answer is "No, it's not legal...", then the second-half of the answer in this particular case is going to be "but nobody will care anyway..."

You'll have to "Pinch" it, though. I can't recall ever hearing about any sort of Plug that would stand up to proper pipe-pressure, even with help from an "Olive" around the pipe that the Plug could clamp itself too... (Mind you, the inlet pipes that feed Toilet Cisterns are clamped into place by virtue of just an Olive...)

Whatever the case, make sure you do it on a weekday in the morning (after you turn off the "Water" out in the box on the footpath...), so that if the pinched Pipe leaks like a spray when you turn the water back on, then you've got time to go to either the BigB or the nearest Plumbing outlet and ask them whether there is such a nylon Olive & Plug fitting that you can plug the thing up with...

Good Luck,
    Batpig.

GeoffW1

Quote Originally Posted by LordBug View Post
    My simple retiling of the bathroom is looking to turn into a bigger than expected job. Oh well, it's a learning experience.

So, I'm going to have to take out the vanity.

Is it legal for me to cut the pipes & pinch them/plug them/seal them/something something them, until it's time to return the vanity & thus get the plumber in? Or do I need to pester the poor bugger to drive out, cut&close and return at a later date?

Cheers
    Hi,

Agree with Batpig above, but with the addendum that I think you, no, someone, will have to seal off the pinch with hard silver solder (brazing) as well.

Illegal DIY plumbers usually go to the hardware store and get a MAPP gas torch with disposable yellow bottle (blue propane is not hot enough), a stick of silver solder and some white flux. It isn't difficult. They told me so.

Cheers

Ahh brilliant, thanks guys
    That's definitely a job for tomorrow morning. But now, time for a beer (Or three!)

You may have already done it but I would use a kinco nut and olive. These are ok for temporary capping.
    you need to put it on and do it up tight
    losen it off
    do it up really tight again.

This should hold until you get the plumber in.
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

I haven't done the deed yet, so I'll have a looksie at kinco nuts when I pop down to Bunnings shortly. Thanks

When doing a bathroom reno it is pretty much more economical to remove the internal contents in their entirety.
    This is because those contents are hard to protect or remove surgically without damage during the construction process keeping in mind eg: the shower screen is attached to the tiles you wish to remove, the vanity sits over the tiles that need to be removed.
    It can be done but when you consider the vanity may already be water affected paying someone else to do the bathroom restoration surgically is uneconomical.

Under plumbing law you are not allowed to touch the pipes just like you are not supposed to change a light bulb under electrical law.
    https://www.instagram.com/perth_bricklayer_wa