Hire the best Gas Fitter

Toilet pan cracked, need advice

Default Toilet pan cracked, need advice

The toilet pan in my unit has cracked and needs to be replaced, will a modern pan designed for a 6/3 ltr flush be swamped by a older single flush cistern.

China

Why not just replace the lot toilet / cistern sets are not very expensive plus you will save on on your water bill

Old Chippy 6K

- and in most if not all jurisdictions your plumber doing this job will tell you they must replace it with a water saving compliant unit - which will include cistern & pan (now most likely 4.5/3). And yes the mix of the two will not work as either is supposed to.

Not sure about SA but you may also get a rebate for installing a dual flush, in QLD it's $200 which means you only pay around $100 out of your pocket if you get a mid range toilet at a cheap price.

Default dual flush toilet

Depends on the council area too. In Prospect SA you can get both the $150 SA Water rebate and a further $200 from the council. Makes it a lot cheaper to swap it over.

Cheers
    Juan

"If the enemy is in range, so are you."

2K Club Member

yeah you can pick up a whole system with pan and cistern for $149 from bunnigns and its a pretty decent setup as well. beleive it or not, those ones from bunnigs are the cheapest ive found, if you buy those 2 parts seperately they are $149 each making it a ridiculously cheap combo.
    and yeah, you get $150 cash back. take a plumber an hour or 2 to install.
    best decision i ever made was replace my dunny suite, so much better now.

Thanks for the replies. Seeing as an old cistern and new pan don't mix, replacing the pan and cistern would be the best choice if it wasn't for the fact that

A. We plan to do a complete reno of the bathroom early next year when the financial shock of the initial purchase of the home unit wears off..... and

B. The bright spark who did the plumbing 20 odd years ago installed the cistern stopcock directly in line with the flush pipe about 150mm above the pan, smack bang in the middle of where a new cistern would go. To make matters worse the water feed for the bathroom comes across the ceiling space and drops down to the bath and shower before continuing on around the walls to the toilet on the opposite side of the bathroom. There are no water pipes on the outside walls

Changing the position of the cistern stopcock can be done but we weren't planning on breaking off tiles until we are ready to do the reno. I saw a $99 pan and cistern at bunnies today, It will just need an extended flushpipe to raise the cistern enough to clear the stopcock, it may look odd will have to do until the reno early next year, I might even apply for the rebate