Hire the best Gas Fitter

water main

Novice

Default water main

A few metres after passing through the meter my main water main branches off to two separate pipes under the front garden, and branches off to each side of the house. One branch goes to some garden taps and then further branches go into various parts of the house to feed evap cooler, toilet citern and washing machine/laundry. Actually, the way the branch is done it looks to me it was botched together 50 years ago by another well meaning handyman before me.

I am thinking of replacing the whole branch as the pipe is shot and the water coming from all outlets is now a lovely shade of orange (so are the cricket whites) and the pressure is hopeless.

The original pipe was 3/4 steel- can I replace it with some sort of plastic irrigation pipe that can handle the pressure and if so would the fittings have the same old imperial threads??

Regards to all

Haydn

Retired Marine Engineer 1K Club Member Ashore's Avatar

Think copper , and while your getting that done think about a rainwater tank and a line to the toilet thet can be switched back to normal as required
    Ashore

The trouble with life is there's no background music.

If you want to go plastic there are probably three options to consider.

First (and cheapest), go get a roll of 20mm BlueLine pipe and some joiners to adapt it to the pipes that go into the house. This is what I did.

Second get some lengths of PVC Pressure pipe, and glue and adapt to the building points as necessary.

Third get some Rehau plastic pipe and call a plumber to come and put the ends on for you. As a DIY option the pipe was expensive as was the tooling to swage the fittings.

The bits for options 1&2 are available 7days a week from bunnies, the stuff for option no 3 can only be had from plumbing suppliers.

Or you could go copper as mentioned above.

My decision to do exactly the same job with blue line, was based on price and the fact I didnt have a join every 4.5m with the pressure pipe, oh and I could do it myself.

Novice

Thanks for the great advice from you both.
    Ashore- be assured I have a total of 10K gals in two water tanks, and thanks for the reminder to hook them up to the toilet. Not sure about the copper though, it's quite exxy now and I am paranoid about electrolytic reaction in the ground.
    Taddy-20mm blue line pipe sounds like the go!
    Thanks again
    Haydn

Old Chippy 6K

Of course the licensed plumber you get to do this work will know exactly what to use . . . sorry couldn't resist!

Worried about electrolytic reaction in the ground if you use a coper pipe? Boy the national (and world) plumbing infrastructure is in real trouble if that's an issue! Your steel pipe with a thin layer of gal on the inside and out lasted 50 years and then rusted from the inside way more than the outside. Seems like a plumber's knowledge might be useful . . .

I put plastic in the ground also because I am inherently lazy, I didnt want to dig it up again in another 50years.
    I am also going to seek a refund on the original builder, my house was built in1966, it was 2006 when I replaced the water main, means I only got 40years out of my galv pipes. Ripped off.

Novice

Bloss- the licensed plumber at work tells me its been an "electrolytic reaction" every time he charges me $1500 to replace the burst copper pipe which floods various parts of our building every month.
    He has showed me the replaced pipe which is only 10 years old, and it has become green and paper thin. At home, the soils our way are full of salts, and I didn't want to take any chances.
    If indeed it is not an electrolytic reaction, perhaps our "licensed plumber" uses this explanation as code for ripping off the naive customer; so it follows I probably don't need him either way.
    Conversely, if I need to use a licensed plumber out of some legal obligation rather than as a reflection of my own competency with tools, then I suggest we change the web address of this forum to automatically redirect people to the yellow pages. By the way, my "licensed plumber" also enjoys telling me about how he owns his own home, his beach house, drives a $60,000 ute and sends his kids to a private school, so I am always happy to save myself from giving him more money to worry about, particularly given I have a mortgage and drive a secondhand car.

1K Club Member

Lagged copper would be the go, blue line to me is a bit ordinary as a permanent solution and as for other plastic piping you could use auspex or cheaper still Dux secura, the tools for either of these are around $120.
    Rehau is almost as expensive as copper, if not more so once you buy all your fittings plus the sleeves for it and then $500 odd dollars for the tooling.
    And if you must do this yourself dont get caught by your water authority because they will crucify you and bare in mind if something happens such as a fitting fails or the pipe splits there will be no warranty as it was installed by an unlicensed person not to mention any subsequent insurance claims that will be declined for the same reason.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

Blue line isn't illegal, and it is cheap. If your going to use it bury it deeper IE 400mm below ground at least. This is because it's not as durable as copper and will damage easily if at the surface (think cars, trucks, tent pegs ect).
    If you dont play it, it's not an instrument!

House Husband - 1K Club Member
    Upper Ferntree Gully, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Blue line and mattocks don't go together either.....