Hire the best Gas Fitter

Water Main Dripping

Default Water Main Dripping

I noticed that water is dripping out of the the handle area (see pic below). I wouldnt have a clue how to replace the valve, washers and o-ring on the water main because how to you stop the water flow when you remove the tap? Can anyone walk me through this or should it be best left to a plumber?

Cheers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails tap.jpg  

1K Club Member

That area of the main tap should have a packing gland with a nut on top in the area you pointed to with the arrow. If it has, try to nip it up ever so slightly this usually stops it. If not do not attempt to remove it! In the Sydney Water area this tap is the responsibility of the Authority and they replace it for nothing. I wouldn't know if this is the same or not in Melbourne.
    As I said don't attempt to change it yourself, it will have to be frozen.
    Plumbers were around long before Jesus was a carpenter

1K Club Member

Geoff, he is saying that his main tap itself is leaking. Also, while your instructions are detailed they are flawed, you should never use vasoline to lubricate a spindle it must be an approved lubricant or food grade grease. Those Burks Backyard instructions aren't worth a pinch of shyte, this is why Scott Cam is a chippy, not a plumber!
    With all due respect I think you should remove this link, vasoline is a petroleum based product that has an adverse affect on O rings aswell as being toxic.

GeoffW1

Quote Originally Posted by wonderplumb View Post
    Geoff, he is saying that his main tap itself is leaking. Also, while your instructions are detailed they are flawed, you should never use vasoline to lubricate a spindle it must be an approved lubricant or food grade grease. Those Burks Backyard instructions aren't worth a pinch of shyte, this is why Scott Cam is a chippy, not a plumber!
    With all due respect I think you should remove this link, vasoline is a petroleum based product that has an adverse affect on O rings aswell as being toxic.
    Hi,

Oops, did not notice that, at least I said to him he needs to be sure the mains are off.

Now, I've deleted my post altogether, could you please delete the quote from your post also, to match?

With respect to the vasilene (*#@ I mean vasolene), all o-ring rubber is made from one of the synthetic rubbers, mostly nitrile butadiene, which is resistant to this type of attack. However, it is not worth the risk I agree, hence my request above.

I have passed your advice on to Don Burke and Scott Cam, they will be round to see you soon

Cheers

That area of the main tap should have a packing gland with a nut on top in the area you pointed to with the arrow. If it has, try to nip it up ever so slightly this usually stops it. If not do not attempt to remove it! In the Sydney Water area this tap is the responsibility of the Authority and they replace it for nothing. I wouldn't know if this is the same or not in Melbourne.
    As I said don't attempt to change it yourself, it will have to be frozen.
    Tried adjusting the nut to no avail. I rang up Yarra Valley Water and they said that it's their responsibility, so they're coming out tomorrow to get it fixed.

1K Club Member

No worries Geoff! Vaseline and potable water aren't really a good mix, it seems to go black and runny and stay this way usually washing away in your water. I have however seen O rings that have near disintegrated as soon as touched by needle nosed pliers upon removal from the spindle with Vaseline being used.
    Just a hint in regards to the red fibre or 'body' washers, soak them in water for 10 seconds or so before installing as they rely on swelling to seal. Putting them in dry can sometimes cause them to weep untill such time that they seal and for some reason some will not seal at all. Wetting them gives them a headstart!

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by gt88 View Post
    Tried adjusting the nut to no avail. I rang up Yarra Valley Water and they said that it's their responsibility, so they're coming out tomorrow to get it fixed.
    Too easy then!

Just a hint in regards to the red fibre or 'body' washers, soak them in water for 10 seconds or so before installing as they rely on swelling to seal.
    Excellent tip for those red fibre washers (now I know why I wasted a few hours of fiddling with one that wasn't sealing!!).
    DIY electrical wiring to AS/NZS3000 - details here - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)