Hire the best Gas Fitter

Water Pressure at the shower head

Jon
    Golden Member

Default Water Pressure at the shower head

Over the last two years we have had three shower heads fail, splitting and leaking in two bathrooms that were renovated less than 3 years ago.
    The previous two times the manufacturer replaced the failed part under warranty but are blaming high water pressure. I would not have thought the section beyond the mixer taps to be subject to super high pressure as the water coming out the shower rose would be relieving some of the pressure, am I wrong?
    I want a bit of knowledge from the pros before I go into battle.

Thanks, Jon

JB1
    1K Club Member

The jets are restricting the flow of water and therefore it builds some pressure internally, by how much I don't know.

You could have a very high pressure, do you have a pressure reducing valve installed near your water meter?

Se

Jon
    Golden Member

We have a pressure reduction valve on the input to the hot water tank.
    I would have thought that if we had exceptionally high pressure we would had problems where fittings were at full pressure when the taps are closed.

The pressure in the shower head once you open the tap will be determined by the pressure in the pipe behind the valve, how far you open the valve, and the flow the shower head design allows.
    If you only open a trickle, the pressure will be negligible in the head, if you open full blast, the pressure will be higher and determined by the pressure in the pipe and the restriction the shower offers. Opening half way, the restriction in the valve, alleviates the pressure to some extent.
    If the sh head splits, that means it can’t take the pressure. If you have a limiting valve, what size? 450 kpa? Don’t forget your cold water pressure may not be regulated like your hot is.
    Most likely shower head made in china, with recicled tin cans from Haiti

4K Club Member

You can have Sydney Water come out and assess your house for all plumbing problems for just $33 and/or replace shower heads for $11 each including a choice of replacement fitting.

https://www.sydneywater.com.au/your-...sidential.html
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

3K Club Member

May also depend on how you run your shower.
    Rule of thumb is turn hot on to full flow ( or at least good flow) then bring cold in to temper it to the required heat/cool range which usually means a small amount of cold supply.
    If the pressure/flow is so great you are splitting shower heads then there should be problems with mixers as well
    because there is a requirement for maximum pressure to mixers.(don't remember what it is maybe 500 kpa but don't quote me)
    As above, may be time to get better quality showers.
    Show a pic of the problem and brand.
    FWIW Methven are usually good.

Jon
    Golden Member

The shower head is a Hellycar Eric series and were recommended by the guy that did our bathrooms.
    http://hellycar.com.au/ViewProductDe...12&SeriesID=73

The split/pin hole is arrowed and looks to be on the corner of the rectangular section. The first one failed with a split on the rose itself and the one in the other bathroom developed a pin hole right in the middle of the riser section.
    20211022_100958_2.jpg 20211022_101109_2.jpg

Taking a look at the photo there is very obvious major bulging in it so I guess the pressure is too high. There is 500kPa limiter on the supply side of the hot water tank but nothing on the cold water supply to the rest of the house. I am about to book a plumber to come and fix a tap in the kitchen so I will get a pressure limiter fitted on the cold water supply, replace the shower and hope that is the end of the matter.

3K Club Member

I think you are doing well to have them replaced for free after 12 months unless their warranty is longer, but the fact they have failed in more than one spot makes me think it is a quality problem.
    I would hazard at a guess the construction is alloy based materials not brass or stainless, and these alloy based powder coated products can be troublesome as you have found.
    I think you will find the bulging is being caused by corrosion and or maybe the construction is too thin.
    Problems (corrosion) can also be caused by electrolysis as a lot of people have found out with powder coated alloy components in fences etc

Jon
    Golden Member

Thanks for your input.
    The warranty on the Hellycar shower parts is 7 years. Once the plumber has been and confirmed our water pressure is fine I will get in contact with them about getting a replacement.
    It would be interesting to cut it in half through the bulge and see what the inside looks like.

Replacing the shower heads with something else would be troublesome unless they closely match the dimensions and appearance of the existing bits.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Thanks for your input.
    The warranty on the Hellycar shower parts is 7 years. Once the plumber has been and confirmed our water pressure is fine I will get in contact with them about getting a replacement.
    It would be interesting to cut it in half through the bulge and see what the inside looks like.

Replacing the shower heads with something else would be troublesome unless they closely match the dimensions and appearance of the existing bits.
    It is good they have 7 year warranty so just keep hitting them up for replacements.
    If their statement a on high pressure held any water, excuse the pun, I believe they would have sent their own plumber to investigate by now.