Hire the best Gas Fitter

Where to drain water from pergola roof?

Question Where to drain water from pergola roof?

Hi,

I am looking at installing a gutter (red lines) along my pergola roof which is around 18m2. My problem is where would be the best place to send the water?

As you can see from the photos there is about 1 meter of garden bed between the pergola and the neighbouring fence and there is no sign of a storm water drain to tap into.

There is a bit of a slope (green lines) from the concrete to the fence as the street is set on a slight slope which has the neighbours property sitting below mine.

We have just put up new fences and my neighbours have installed a new deck so i don't want to cause any damage in the future.

Would running some ag pipe covered in gravel off the down pipe into the garden bed be enough or should i be looking at some other option.

Thanks for any feedback.

pergola-1.jpg
    pergola-2.jpg
    nesbit

Where's your closest downpipe?

Hi,

I have attached a quick sketch. The red dots are my nearest down pipes.

The one under the pergola roof is not really accessible either is the one located at the other corner of the house.

The distance from where the pergola meets the deck to the end of the deck is around 9 meters.

house-plan.png
    nesbit

3K Club Member

Ag pipe will not take the flow and will overflow real quick, so best bet is take it to the kerb, otherwise, start searching for a storm drain to hook into.

You could have a downpipe for the pergola in the corner next to the deck and then go around the deck and into the downpipe in the center of the garden. Providing you can dig there of course.
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Global-Warming-Climate-Change-Hoax-ebook/dp/B00JPU8332

If I was you, and I couldn't get it back to the closer downpipe, then I'd be trenching it to the other one.

EDIT: Do you have the drainage plans? If not, hit up dial before you dig https://www.1100.com.au/. You may get lucky with the drainage running close by.

Community Moderator

Gee you like to cosy up with your neighbours.

Of course you could have a stormwater pipe over the fence
    https://www.amazon.com.au/Global-Warming-Climate-Change-Hoax-ebook/dp/B00JPU8332

7K Club Member

How much room do you have under the unroofed deck? Thinking you could install a downpipe on the outside post and run a pipe across the ground under, or suspended under, the deck to the right hand 'red dot'

Edit. But what is that long grey rectangle between the house and the deck? Wider pic of the whole shooting match would help

The darker grey bit is also and undercover area coming off the side of the house.

My main problem is that the down pipe located at the end of the deck in more uphill that where the pergola pipe would be.

Where would i be able to get drainage plans from? Would this be something that the council would have on file?

I have the dial before you dig plans for the water and it does not show anything on my property it just shows the mains at street level.
    nesbit

3K Club Member

Storm water drains are very rarely shown on plan.

1K Club Member

You can run a charged system to tap into the "upstream" stormwater. It just means you'll laways have water sitting in the transfer pipe, and up the vertical down pipe to the same height that it drains into the existing house downpipe.

You may not be able to legally do it without first sending the water into a tank (and the tank overflow then taps into the existing stormwater. The beauty of a charged system is you can run the pipes under your deck, or bury them, and have them pop up beside the tank or outlet - so they are neat & tidy.

Best off talking to a plumber on how to do it - it's something they know how to do properly - you can dig trenches & everything to save cash, but get a plumber out to look it over, tell you where to dig & how deep, and let him tap into the existing downpipe. Any leak in a charged system is a disaster, so avoid DIY'ing it.

Here's an example of a charged system feeding a tank:

7K Club Member

It's storm water, after all. I don't think there's a lot of "legality" about it except "manage your storm water on your property".

I have a charged section of pipe, but who would ever know?

Oh, wait

2K Club Member

I’m the only crazy one here - 18m2 of roof? Get a garden in there, mulch it and consider it watered with only the faintest of rain events, no gutters to maintain, no stormwater pipe digging etc etc

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by r3nov8or View Post
    It's storm water, after all. I don't think there's a lot of "legality" about it except "manage your storm water on your property".

I have a charged section of pipe, but who would ever know?

Oh, wait
    The main requirement for storm water drainage is to move as much rain/storm water as possible away from foundations whilst not impacting on neighbouring properties.
    Charged pipes are accepted in most but not all Council areas.

Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy2 View Post
    I’m the only crazy one here - 18m2 of roof? Get a garden in there, mulch it and consider it watered with only the faintest of rain events, no gutters to maintain, no stormwater pipe digging etc etc
    I think i will be going down this path... much easier to set up the garden than worry about all the digging.
    nesbit

Golden Member

You live in a Sandy area! Just dig it and do it properly!

Just hope your neighbour doesn't find this thread when he looks for the reason his house has sunk.

1K Club Member

Does you storm water go to the front or the rear of your property?
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

2K Club Member

Should do some maths, a big rainy event in dry old melbourne is 50mm (a bit more than the storm you had earlier this month).

a square meter receives 50 litres of rainfall at that rate over the day. So 18m2 is 900litres.

Conveniently, the garden hose pushes out 18litres a minute, so it’s the equivalent of letting the hose go for 50minutes, or at 1/10th pressure for 9 hours (sprinkler system?)

Be nice to your neighbour by not building garden up against the fence

I am thinking that it goes to the rear due to the slope of the block. Looks like i may have to do some digging.
    nesbit

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by nesbit View Post
    I am thinking that it goes to the rear due to the slope of the block. ....
    Thought you said DBYD provided plans of assets in the street?

Thought you said DBYD provided plans of assets in the street?
    Below is a link to the DBYD plans with my house plan overlaid. I am not sure how to read these if you can assist that would be greatly appreciated.

DBYD Plan
    nesbit

7K Club Member

This is only sewer. Need to request storm water assets

1K Club Member

It shouldn't be too hard to find out. Does your kerb and gutter out the front of the house have outlets?
    If not, it must go out the back surely. Stick a running hose down the downpipe at the gutter and see where the water comes out., hopefully it's not running into the sewer.
    You don't have to put storm water pipe very low in the ground, i've seen lots sitting on top of the ground. If you hate digging that much just lay it on top and paint it so the sun doesn't wreck it
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

This is only sewer. Need to request storm water assets
    Contact your local council and ask for a LPD (legal point of discharge) for stormwater drain. While you r at it you could also ask if they have any plans or drawings of stormwater drains for your property. Highly unlikely but no harm in asking.