Hire the best Electrician

10A Household Outlet and Power Centre Usage

Default 10A Household Outlet and Power Centre Usage

Hi everyone,

I'm planning my table saw and vacuum setup and I'm thinking of plugging both on a normal 10A household double-GPO. The table saw in mind is a Dewalt portable table saw and possibly a Ryobi vacuum. Given the table saw is rated at 1850W and the vacuum at 1500W as per the specifications, can someone please verify my computation below:
    Table saw: 1850W / 240V = 7.7A
    Vacuum: 1500W / 240V = 6.25A
    Total: 13.95A

Also, I read on one of the threads that:
    Quote Originally Posted by SilentButDeadly View Post
    ...Most of your power circuits 'should' have a 20 amp fuse...but bear in mind that if you truly to run too much else on the same circuit as the saw...pop goes the breaker...
    If the above computation and/or statement is/are correct which translates to 13.95A and that new houses "should" have a 20A breaker, does it mean that I would be able to safely plug in both on a normal 10A outlet? Would a power centre (powerboard with a built-in breaker) be a good idea to add so it will trip instead of the external breaker just for convenience and added safety (if it adds any)?

I just wanted to make sure if my assumptions are correct as I'm a bit wary with electrical. Thanks heaps!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 989d383d-3fe4-4a6d-8998-65b0888e50e6.jpg  

A couple of comments:
    (a) you need to check the actual current draw of each appliance. Simply using Ohms law doesn’t hold on AC systems as there is also a ‘power factor’ to be considered.
    (b) bear in mind that the rated power is at full load. You probably won’t be using the saw at full power.

It’d probably work okay, but I’d suggest staggering the start up as both may have a significant start-up current. i.e. turn one on first (For safety, I suggest the vacuum first) and let it settle, then turn on the saw. And making sure that there are no other heavy power drawing appliances on that circuit while you are using it.

I suspect that using the power board with the inbuilt breaker will be more trouble rather than assistance.
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

We commonly use a table saw and curc saw on the same point at the same time and rarely have issues.

It's only when either saw hits 100% load the breaker might pop
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

Thanks chrisp and Metrix! Thanks for re-assuring the setup will indeed work.

It's been buggering me for a while now and I don't wanna test and trip the breaker - I just dread doing that (probably as I don't know much about electrical stuff).

Quote Originally Posted by jarod View Post
    Thanks chrisp and Metrix! Thanks for re-assuring the setup will indeed work.

It's been buggering me for a while now and I don't wanna test and trip the breaker - I just dread doing that (probably as I don't know much about electrical stuff).
    If it trips the circuit, just flick the breaker back on not an issue.

You might experience this if you are cutting something heavy like hardwood and really pushing it through the saw, this is when the saw will drag maximum current it possibly can.

Your house should have two circuits, if you are worried plug the vac into the other circuit via an extension lead, then you can do whatever you want.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

I see. I had an assumption that the wire might also get hot to the point that it cause a fire when it trips. Is that a possibility

I see. I had an assumption that the wire might also get hot to the point that it cause a fire when it trips. Is that a possibility?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk
    Not at all, if everything is wired correctly.

As long as you don’t fiddle with the fixed wiring or the circuit breaker you can’t really go wrong. The tripping is often called ‘nuisance tripping’ when the there are too many things on the one circuit (and it is time for another circuit).
    There is no middle ground between facts and fallacies - argumentum ad temperantiam

Community Moderator

I had an assumption that the wire might also get hot to the point that it cause a fire when it trips. Is that a possibility?
    Not if the breakers are of the correct size

Quote Originally Posted by chrisp View Post
    Not at all, if everything is wired correctly.

As long as you don’t fiddle with the fixed wiring or the circuit breaker you can’t really go wrong. The tripping is often called ‘nuisance tripping’ when the there are too many things on the one circuit (and it is time for another circuit).
    I see. I had an assumption that the wire might also get hot to the point that it cause a fire when it trips. Is that a possibility
    Thanks guys!

Ah the times of the ceramic fuses one could reinforce with a one mil nail
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Ah the times of the ceramic fuses one could reinforce with a one mil nail
    Realise this was a joke Marc but is one of the reasons ceramic fuses were replaced with breakers. It all go's with stupid people making "the powers that be" make every thing "FOOL proof". We still have ceramic fuses here and would never dream of replacing burned out wire with anything but the correct wire.

There is no need to be scared of electricity jarod, respect the fact it can kill you to be sure, but it is very simple, isolate the source of power, test to check isolation and proceed. It's not Rocket Science....it's simple!

One of my pet hates is how guarded working with electricity is in Australia, every other country (that I'm aware of) a DIY can tackle most household/workshop jobs, US, UK, NZ have forums helping DIY'ers do stuff.
    e.g. Here's an example of a (very capable) girl replacing a light fixing in US; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l5_LW0LsFs

Certainly in the bush, as with all other maintenance jobs, you just can't call a trades-person, you do it yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushy View Post
    One of my pet hates is how guarded working with electricity is in Australia, every other country (that I'm aware of) a DIY can tackle most household/workshop jobs, US, UK, NZ have forums helping DIY'ers do stuff.
    e.g. Here's an example of a (very capable) girl replacing a light fixing in US; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2l5_LW0LsFs
    This very capable girl is obviously a witch and as soon as she steps foot on Australian soil should be burned at the stake.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

There is no need to be scared of electricity jarod, respect the fact it can kill you to be sure, but it is very simple, isolate the source of power, test to check isolation and proceed. It's not Rocket Science....it's simple!
    Yeah, I guess my fear is due to ignorance. Thanks

Yeah, I guess my fear is due to ignorance. Thanks.
    The same goes for witches.
    “What a fool believes, he sees. No wise man has the power to reason away”- The Doobie Brothers

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    The same goes for witches.
    Oh, please don't get me started on that ��

Oh, please don't get me started on that
    I won't. But think about it. Both witches and electricians deal with the occult (knowledge of the hidden).

Quote Originally Posted by UseByDate View Post
    I won't. But think about it. Both witches and electricians deal with the occult (knowledge of the hidden).
    ��

2K Club Member

And if the witch weighs the same as a duck?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_lu5_5Od7WY

What was the question again?
    Enjoy present pleasures in such a way as not to injure future ones.
    Seneca

I know we got side-tracked there but you guys are funny

1K Club Member

I think this guy disagrees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69yswP-MSvQ
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    What was the question again?
    It's not so much a “what” question, but more of a “which” question.

Quote Originally Posted by Whitey66 View Post
    I think this guy disagrees - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69yswP-MSvQ
    Yeah that's right, but after a bit of typical youtube mockery he got a simple straight forward answer:

"Now on to the first problem. You have two sources of 110 volts in that bathroom. They are out of phase and when used together are effectively 220 volts. That is why your light is going off/on/high. This is not abnormal for house wiring, but you must be aware of it if you start attaching things. Needless to say having 220 running around a single circuit is more dangerous than 110. The second problem is you have a hot ground or neutral. That is why the hair drier can act as a on/off switch. This means that the return line of your appliances, which should be zero volts, has 110 volts on it. This carries forward to your appliances. If your hair drier was made of metal, you would have gotten a shock from it, possibly killed. What to do. Turn off all power to the bathroom. You need to get a volt/ohm multimeter, and diagram out each wire in that bathroom to its source in the breaker box. Then diagram out each wire in the lamp and switches before rewiring it again. If you don't know what I am talking about, then call an electrician. Between the 220, and the hot ground, you could melt your wiring which at best will require the services of an electrician, dry wall hanger and a painter. Or worse, could start a fire and burn the house down."
    With the emphasis on:

"If you don't know what I am talking about, then call an electrician."

You see, they give them enough credence that they may be a person with some intelligence and handyman knowledge, and if not 'call an electrician."
    Admittedly, he shouldn't have got himself into this predicament in the first place.

i have my 1.3kw saw stop saw and .75kw dust extractor running at the same time. as well a battery charger and other stuff on the same circuit (if the wife is watching TV upstairs etc) and i've never tripped a breaker.

like others have said, unless your jamming huge hardwood logs through your saw your not drawing the full current through it.
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    i have my 1.3kw saw stop saw and .75kw dust extractor running at the same time. as well a battery charger and other stuff on the same circuit (if the wife is watching TV upstairs etc) and i've never tripped a breaker.

like others have said, unless your jamming huge hardwood logs through your saw your not drawing the full current through it.
    That's good to hear. I've read most SawStop owners have issues with the starting current tripping breakers but most of those are using the PCS model. I have read that they needed a breaker with a different curve to handle the surge.

I'm sure you're happy with the performance. I would like to have one but my wallet won't let me =D

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

We still have ceramic fuses here and would never dream of replacing burned out wire with anything but the correct wire.
    You might not but trust me as a sparky who has done a lot of regional work in older homes many will. Multiple turns of the fuse wire, copper wire, cut down nails I've come across many times.
    Generally after some part of the circuit has eventually melted.

Combined with the fact even the correct wire is not that accurate at blowing magnetic circuit breakers are far better.

Quote Originally Posted by doovalacky View Post
    You might not but trust me as a sparky who has done a lot of regional work in older homes many will. Multiple turns of the fuse wire, copper wire, cut down nails I've come across many times.
    Generally after some part of the circuit has eventually melted.

Combined with the fact even the correct wire is not that accurate at blowing magnetic circuit breakers are far better.
    Unfortunately I believe you, and have no reason not to trust you, but that has never happened on my watch here, or prior to my knowledge.
    I suppose I will have to update the main fuse box and distribution board one day.