Hire the best Electrician

3 way switch

Novice

Default 3 way switch

Hi guys I am after a 3 way switch that goes up and down but always returns to the center for a open circuit in a clipsal or hpm does it exist.
    thanks

Community Moderator

No idea but Clipsal have a comprehensive on line catalogue so I would suggest you look there.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boily View Post
    Hi guys I am after a 3 way switch that goes up and down but always returns to the center for a open circuit in a clipsal or hpm does it exist.
    thanks
    It appears that that for which you MAY be searching is a "3 Position Switch" - and NOT a "3 Way Switch"

See Clipsal - 39MPLAIN - Switch, 250VAC, 10A, 3 Position Blank
    and Catalogue - Clipsal by Schneider Electric

OR, just look up "3 position switch".

Golden Member

[QUOTE=Boily;1006777. . . goes up and down but always returns to the center for a open circuit . . .[/QUOTE]

AKA "spring loaded centre off"?

No idea if Clipsal or HPM have those.

What are you wanting to control?
    Closest I could find was this Clipsal - DCDAL31SROKUD - DALI 30 MECH SLAVE ROCKER SWITCH thought it looks like it's meant to interface to some system.
    If it's and up/down sort of thing, you could use two momentary press button mechs in one plate.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
    . . .
    If it's and up/down sort of thing, you could use two momentary press button mechs in one plate.
    Remembering to resolve simultaneous "up" and "down" requests gracefully then.

Novice

What it's for is i have electric shutters and i am looking at setting up zwave and the zwave module has manual over ride switch i will probably just use 2 momentary switches thanks anyway.

Golden Member

What it's for is i have electric shutters and i am looking at setting up zwave and the zwave module has manual over ride switch i will probably just use 2 momentary switches thanks anyway.
    If you are not switching the mains directly, you should be able to find such a switch easily - but maybe you are concerned about how it looks?

By co-incidence, I am sitting here puzzling over remote controlled electric blinds.

1K Club Member

It is "interesting" that the OP only NOW posts a reference to "zwave"
    Perhaps he/she should look at Z-Wave Home Automation Australia - DHS Z-Wave Dbl Switch InWall, or other zwave sites.

Novice

this is the item I am talking about
    http://www.digitalhomesystems.com.au...ler_Manual.pdf
    I would of preferred if I could have one switch that did both but I will use 2 switches.

That switch I linked to earlier may work as I suspect it's only swtiching logic, not 230v.

1K Club Member

That switch I linked to earlier may work as I suspect it's only swtiching logic, not 230v.
    You are probably correct. However, the switch that you specified has a specific (propitiatory ?) connector, which may need adapting.

I note that the OP's recent reference states "Please note. Buttons on the wall plate have to be Bell Press type (e.g. push-button SaturnSeries 60PBBP or similar)."
    (i.e. Each "button" should maintain contact only as long as it is held "down".)
    The zwave site has these - Z-Wave Home Automation Australia - CLIPSAL SATURN Pushbutton

Novice

Have u considered setting this up on a keyfob remote? They are under 50 bucks, and you could program up and down to do multiple shutters if needed.
    Other option could be an android tablet wall mounted, programmed to select scenes, eg close all shutters facing west

Novice

I like the z wave I was going to use the Ness M1 gold but I had to run to many wires that's why I decided on z wave it's wireless I knew I could use two buttons but It would of been great if I had one button that did both but it must always be in open circuit or else when the z wave tells it to go up and if you had a switch and you leave it on down you will blow the motor.

Golden Member

I know nothing specific about Z-Wave modules (and the document linked to doesn't say much), but I would say that the switch(es) connected to KEY2, KEY1 and COM probably do only switch logic levels. Somebody who knew what they were doing could confirm that, but even if that is the case, another issue would be, are those connections isolated from the mains side of things in the Z-Wave module?

To keep costs down they may be using a capacitive "wattless dropper" which does not provide isolation, and that may be why they suggest use of "mains" switches like the 60PBBP.

Of course, 3-position spring loaded (momentary) switches are readily available, even ones that are mains rated, but perhaps not in the shape of a standard switch mechanism that will snap in to a normal plate. At least, in my quick look I did not see any (I did see some 3-position that I suspected may be momentary, but the spiel did not actually say that).

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozcar View Post
    Of course, 3-position spring loaded (momentary) switches are readily available, even ones that are mains rated, but perhaps not in the shape of a standard switch mechanism that will snap in to a normal plate. At least, in my quick look I did not see any (I did see some 3-position that I suspected may be momentary, but the spiel did not actually say that).
    One can fit any switch (or other device) into a space on a standard wall plate if it is small enough to be first mounted onto a "blanking" plate intended to fit into any "blank" space.

So any small (enough) SPDT Momentary switch may be so mounted.
    While many of these are "rated" at 250 V AC, there may be some concern in that the actuator on all those which seem to be suitable and supplied by Jaycar and Altronics in Australia are of metal.

However, SPDT Momentary 250 V rated switches with "rubber" covered actuators can be found - on Ebay. 2pcs 3 Positions ON OFF ON SPDT Momentary Toggle Switch AC 250V 2A 120V 5A | eBay

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by FrodoOne View Post
    . . . the actuator on all those which seem to be suitable and supplied by Jaycar and Altronics in Australia are of metal. . . .
    Could be true for toggle switches, but I don't think the exposed parts of the rocker switches are metal, say like this one:

SPDT Centre Off Spring Return Both Sides | Rocker | Switches | Electromechanical Components | PRODUCTS | SK0987 | Jaycar Electronics

Yep, the rocker could perhaps come out of one of those, exposing the contacts, just as it can with a normal switch mech.

1K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ozcar View Post
    Could be true for toggle switches, but I don't think the exposed parts of the rocker switches are metal, say like this one:

SPDT Centre Off Spring Return Both Sides | Rocker | Switches | Electromechanical Components | PRODUCTS | SK0987 | Jaycar Electronics
    From memory, I suspect that the switch mentioned may be too large to fit into a standard "blanking" plate - for a wall-plate.!

However, it COULD be fitted into a "blank" wall-plate.

Novice

I knew about the rocker switches at jaycar but I am after a switch that fits in a wall plate because there are light switches as well so my only solution is to get two spring loaded switches.

1K Club Member

I knew about the rocker switches at jaycar but I am after a switch that fits in a wall plate because there are light switches as well so my only solution is to get two spring loaded switches.
    Or, you could mount a SPDP (momentary) toggle switch into a "blanking" plate and mount that "assembly" into a 'spare' gang position on the wall-plate. (Since a blanking plate is about 16 mm square, you need something which will mount in a 12 mm hole - or, thereabouts - or less.).

The choice of the switch concerned is up to you, but I would use one which was 'insulated'.
    (If you do use a locally obtained switch with a metal actuator, I would ensure that the metal work involved was adequately earthed. However, I have some doubt as to whether this is in accord with Australian regulations.)

While such "insulated" devices with the required rating seem not to be commonly available in Australia, they ARE available elsewhere.
    (Of course, the problem you then have is to persuade the vendor
    to sell you ONE of these and
    to send it to Australia - without charging exorbitant costs of "Packing and Postage".)

You could proceed, as I did, and search on "Round Momentary Rocker Switch - SPDT, Image". Then, select an appropriate item, go to the page concerned and examine the specifications, cost, postage etc.

One item I found by this process which
    did appear suitable
    could be shipped to Australia
    at a NOT a too excessive cost
    was Round Momentary Rocker Switch - SPDT
    Philmore 30-152 Automotive Marine Toggle Switch SPDT 20A (ON)-OFF-(ON) - Components & Parts

[Current Rating:10A@ 250V AC, (ON)-OFF-(ON) [ ( ) = Momemtary], Mounting = 0.5" (12.7 mm), Price $5.38 (USD), Postage $17.01 (USD)] (Plus 1 Clipsal "blanking" plate.)
    The above cost [under $32 (AUD)] compares well with the cost of two Clipsal Saturn Push-button switches from Zwave at $38 (AUD), plus postage (?)