Hire the best Electrician

Is the bayonet or Edison screw the standard?

Default Is the bayonet or Edison screw the standard?

Hi
    I often find the basic batten style fittings are bayonet but all the fancy lights are screw in globes. Is there an standard for what's used and where?

Nope, for Australia at least they are both used as the manufacturer decides.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesy_SA View Post
    Hi
    I often find the basic batten style fittings are bayonet but all the fancy lights are screw in globes. Is there an standard for what's used and where?
    Not many light fittings are made in Australia, nor is Australia the primary market for many light fitting manufacturers. I think the 'standard' is to sell fittings in Australia with the base that suits the market where the manufacturer targeted the product to sell.

Having said that, in Australia long ago when burner* globes ruled (*that's what light engineers call them because the filaments burn energy) bayonets were the commonly used base except if the bulb was subject to vibrations, where Edison Screw bases were preferred as the burner was less likely to fail prematurely, or where the bulb was large and/or heavy and bayonets were not secure enough. In most countries screw fittings dominated, with bayonet fittings following British colonisation around the planet.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Apprentice (new member)

I've seen different sources say both types are better for vibration. I have only ever had problems with bayonet fittings after the springs in the pins had lost temper through overheating. Bayonet fittings were used for years on motor vehicles after all.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by PaulDW View Post
    Bayonet fittings were used for years on motor vehicles after all.
    It depends on the application. Screw bases can work loose in vehicles so bayonets are preferred. For larger 240 volt globes, filament failure due to vibration is a bigger problem than the globe loosening in the socket.

A bayonet base does allow the globe to move on the axis of the bayonet retaining pins. Vibrational forces have little leverage on automotive globes because of their size and weight relative to the spring tension in the base, and 12 volt filaments are thick and robust. Larger globes have a centre of gravity further away from the base which adds leverage to vibrational forces, and 240 volt filaments are longer and thinner, the flimsy filament being more vulnerable to vibration being amplified by the globe moving within the socket.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Community Moderator

BC used to be common with ES used for higher wattage but now seems like ES or BC are common.

Default Is the bayonet or Edison screw the standard?

It's interesting that basic a BC batten holder is $1.50 but nothing in ES is close to that price (perhaps $6 online).

4K Club Member

Best I could find is $2.63. I guess that's because by convention BCs are always used for ceiling batten lighting points in Oz.

https://www.electricalproducts.com.a...4aAjCKEALw_wcB