Hire the best Electrician

Cable run to pumphouse

Apprentice (new member)

Default Cable run to pumphouse

I would like to run power over to a 9sqm pumphouse im building. Inside I only need a single light and a double GPO (charger for tool batteries and a small dam water pump).

Being 140m away from the main board, im hoping to trench and lay the cable then get a sparky to connect both ends to keep the cost down.

Im just not sure what size cable would be ok with voltage drop.

Any advice?
    TIA

4K Club Member

Trench it ? yes, 700mm deep.
    Lay conduit and cable 140 m ? no,
    Talk to the sparky first bc they are responsible for all the install.
    Then if they approve of you doing the conduit and cable install you are safe.

Apprentice (new member)

Why 700mm? 600 is more than enough.
    Electrician has already been happy for me to do this with other cables and I wasnt asking for your permission
    Im more wondering what my options are so I can work out cost.

Is solar and some batteries cheaper then 140m of trench, cable and hook up etc
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing

7K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by havabeer View Post
    Is solar and some batteries cheaper then 140m of trench, cable and hook up etc
    In normal circumstances I'd have said No, install solar on the main dwelling, but 140m is indeed a long way for a very small install. Gotta do the numbers...!

OP needs to be careful with responses to some knote-able members - they get a little sensitive... either they disappear or never let go

Apprentice (new member)

Unfortunately with batteries, I believe solar would be more expensive and theres only 9sqm of roof space available(farming land).
    I have my own trencher on the bobcat, powerpoint, light and some conduit(76m) so I would be looking mostly at the cable cost, CB and the sparkys time to fit off.

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wilba84 View Post
    Why 700mm? 600 is more than enough.
    Electrician has already been happy for me to do this with other cables and I wasnt asking for your permission
    Im more wondering what my options are so I can work out cost.
    My permission ???????????????????

I'm just trying to save you from yourself and quite often people come on here first time and ask electrical questions simply so they can do the work themselves.

It's not important to me either way who does it

From my experience 600 is the minimum cover requirement

so 700 gives ample cover whereas a 600 trench does not give the required cover

Also are you aware of the requirement to install electrical warning tape above the conduit and the depth required for the tape ???

Like I said, ask the sparky

Can't go wrong then.

4K Club Member

What's the voltage drop over 140 metres?
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    What's the voltage drop over 140 metres?
    Depends on load and cable size, theres online calculators for this.

Cyclic everybody else but you is trying to be helpful, put your ego aside your causing trouble for no reason.
    I couldnt do it without a licenced electrician supplying the cable anyway at that length, you simply cant buy them.
    I was simply asking for options so I could calculate the cost of them.

Golden Member

I would like to run power over to a 9sqm pumphouse im building. Inside I only need a single light and a double GPO (charger for tool batteries and a small dam water pump).

Being 140m away from the main board, im hoping to trench and lay the cable then get a sparky to connect both ends to keep the cost down.
    TIA
    Voltage drop, distance and size of cable are dependent on load required. "Small" pump is subjective.

Cyclic raises a good point (and has nothing to do with ego) however if you really have a good relationship with a sparky as you mentioned in later posts, then quick chat would yield the info you require to ensure the correct cable is costed, installed, warning tape requirement and depth (the depth is measured to the "Top" of the conduit, not the bottom as per the regs).

Edit: You don't need a sparky to buy the cable regardless of length

Default Cable run to pumphouse

Just adding to above, depth is normally 500mm cover so 600mm is heaps.

As stated above get the sparky to buy the cable, the trade discount will be worthwhile, might need pits along the way too. Iím not a sparky but canít imagine pulling that size cable over that length.

Apprentice (new member)

16mm tps would be over 1kg a meter, theres no pulling that sort of weight. It literally makes no sense for me to buy the cable, no trade discount, a 500m drum to avoid joins(no pits, farming land)is way to much $$ when I dont need it all, the drum would be over 500kg.

I came here to enquire about options/cost, Thanks for the help

4K Club Member

Depends on load and cable size, theres online calculators for this.

Cyclic everybody else but you is trying to be helpful, put your ego aside your causing trouble for no reason.
    I couldnt do it without a licenced electrician supplying the cable anyway at that length, you simply cant buy them.
    I was simply asking for options so I could calculate the cost of them.
    Gees don't know where that came from but as usual I will continue to try to assist anyone on here.

FWIW you don't have to buy 500 metres, you or your sparky can simply contact a supplier with your requirements (140 metres) and they will arrange to supply that amount through their supplier, however
    a cutting fee will most likely apply.

At #14 you mention 16mm tps ??...No one has mentioned that here so not sure where you got that from.

Good luck with your project.

Golden Member

...you dont have to buy the entire drum, can be purchased by the meter either XLPE bundled cable or 2 separate double insulated copper....once its sized correctly. The latter is generally cheaper

and correct way too long to pull it through...lay it out on the ground, thread on the conduit, glue and drop into the trench

Apprentice (new member)

At #14 you mention 16mm tps ??...No one has mentioned that here so not sure where you got that from.

That was what my electrician recommended after contacting him, why is that an issue?

...you dont have to buy the entire drum, can be purchased by the meter either XLPE bundled cable or 2 separate double insulated copper....once its sized correctly. The latter is generally cheaper

Thanks thats very helpful, would it not be 3 SDI including the earth?

That was what my electrician recommended after contacting him, why is that an issue?
    Your original post was asking the question on cable size without any indication of actual load requirements, just double GPO and single light.
    But your electrician has already advised what his requirements are, would you expect him to connect up 2.5mm2 cable you buried if someone on the internet said that was all that was required ?

for the cost's you're talking about in cable size. sounds like its a much cheaper job to either go solar... or just use a petrol generator.

the numbers chucked into a cable size calculator says you need a 10mm cable to cope with a 3% voltage drop. seems like you're looking at $1000 just for the cable, let alone all the work trying to install it
    Remember if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing