Hire the best Electrician

Can a gpo be hidden IN the wall

Default Can a gpo be hidden IN the wall

This is not work I’m intending to do myself - I post it here because our electrician is not very easy to communicate with except when he is actually here on the job, which won’t be for 3 months or so. Something I’m finding pretty normal for tradespeople.

I am wondering whether it is within code to have a GPO in the wall cavity - accessed if needed through a typical 300 x300 or 400 x 400 access panel. It is a 90mm timber framed internal wall which will be gyprocked on both sides.

See diagram in next post.

The gpo is needed to provide 12 volt power for two monitors - one for the video doorbell and one for security cameras.

On one side of the wall is the butlers pantry. On the other its the natural spot to remotely answer doorbell or check back of house via security cameras etc.

My thinking is to have the access panel in the butlers pantry, and the monitors on the other side.

The gpo will be inside the wall cavity but directly behind the access panel.

The power and data wires to the monitors would be punched through the wall, directly behind the monitors.

Doing it this way will mean from the outside you will just see the monitors, no wires or gpos or anything else.

The same internal wall space and access panel will also serve to give access to the television aerial cable and splitter and 4 outlet cables.

So is this a good idea?

Is it legal to have a gpo in a wall cavity?

Cheers
    Arron

Default Image to make it clearer

This drawing might make it clearer what I want to do.

371fb576-76ae-44aa-8c7d-64ca3a0002a0.jpeg

There would of course be a data wire for the video doorbell not shown, but I think the security system is all wireless. The television aerial and splitter is in the same spot but not shown.

7K Club Member

You can have an internal switchboard in the cavity accessed via a cover/panel, so not too concerned about a GPO, but the experts will advise hopefully

GPOs are installed in uninhabitable spaces like a cupboard for the dishwasher (ours is actually harder to access than what you have drawn!), so you might expect similar rules apply

Considering you can have a power point inside the roof cavity, under the house in the crawl space or behind a kitchen draw, your proposition seems feasible to me

On the other hand if you want to have a post office there, I believe it is too small.

A place I have just moved into has exactly that.
    But no access panel as the wall mount TV covers the big hole.
    I didn't even think twice about it - just plugged a powerboard into it.

I am not that happy with the TV there so was thinking about patching the big hole, I was thinking there wouldn't be any issue in piggybacking off the hidden GPO (impossible to get to remove, barely achievable to plug the powerbaord into) if I wanted a GPO where the existing hole-in-the-wall is.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverYoung View Post
    A place I have just moved into has exactly that.
    But no access panel as the wall mount TV covers the big hole.
    I didn't even think twice about it - just plugged a powerboard into it.

I am not that happy with the TV there so was thinking about patching the big hole, I was thinking there wouldn't be any issue in piggybacking off the hidden GPO (impossible to get to remove, barely achievable to plug the powerbaord into) if I wanted a GPO where the existing hole-in-the-wall is.
    If you are suggesting leaving the GPO in the wall and covering it over I believe that would be illegal just like j-boxes in the wall. Pretty sure it has to be accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by droog View Post
    If you are suggesting leaving the GPO in the wall and covering it over I believe that would be illegal just like j-boxes in the wall. Pretty sure it has to be accessible.
    Thanks for that, I hadn't looked into it. Just been thinking the TV isn't in the best spot and if I move it would patch the hole.
    Could always knock out some more plaster to get to the GPO that is inside the hole attached to a stud so as to rewire it all legal like.

My situation, as in the original post, would be legal then ?

Yes, but it would need to be performed/certified by an Alec Chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Arron View Post
    My situation, as in the original post, would be legal then ?
    If there is an access panel then it is accessible.
    Not an electrician so don’t take my word for it but if it is under an access panel I believe it would pass.

4K Club Member

Or you could have a recessed GPO behind the LCD screens, so it isn't in the cavity anyway.
    recessed gpo
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    Or you could have a recessed GPO behind the LCD screens, so it isn't in the cavity anyway.
    recessed gpo
    I didn’t know about them. Thanks for pointing them out.
    Still need the cavity for the data cables plus the automatic door unlock, but those could be a better solution for the gpos.

1K Club Member

There's nothing wrong with what you want to do. Just be careful if using a recessed GPO that the transformer packs will fit in the recess.
    Never argue with idiots, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

I didn’t know about them. Thanks for pointing them out.
    Still need the cavity for the data cables plus the automatic door unlock, but those could be a better solution for the gpos.
    You can also get them with cable management as well.
    E.G. https://www.matchmaster.com.au/enclosures/04mm-rp02/

You can also get them with cable management as well.
    E.G. https://www.matchmaster.com.au/enclosures/04mm-rp02/
    I like the way the other cables come in from the bottom, better than the side like I did.

gpo-recessed1.jpg

1K Club Member

This is not work Iím intending to do myself - I post it here because our electrician is not very easy to communicate with except when he is actually here on the job, which wonít be for 3 months or so. Something Iím finding pretty normal for tradespeople.

I am wondering whether it is within code to have a GPO in the wall cavity - accessed if needed through a typical 300 x300 or 400 x 400 access panel. It is a 90mm timber framed internal wall which will be gyprocked on both sides.

See diagram in next post.

The gpo is needed to provide 12 volt power for two monitors - one for the video doorbell and one for security cameras.

On one side of the wall is the butlers pantry. On the other its the natural spot to remotely answer doorbell or check back of house via security cameras etc.

My thinking is to have the access panel in the butlers pantry, and the monitors on the other side.

The gpo will be inside the wall cavity but directly behind the access panel.

The power and data wires to the monitors would be punched through the wall, directly behind the monitors.

Doing it this way will mean from the outside you will just see the monitors, no wires or gpos or anything else.

The same internal wall space and access panel will also serve to give access to the television aerial cable and splitter and 4 outlet cables.

So is this a good idea?

Is it legal to have a gpo in a wall cavity?

Cheers
    Arron
    That which you have termed as a GPO is now more properly termed a "Socket Outlet".

AS/NZS 3000 4.4.2.1 (Accessibility) states : -
    "Each socket-outlet shall be installed so that any plug intended to be used with the socket-outlet can be conveniently inserted and withdrawn and not cause damage to any flexible cord or cable connected to the plug.
    Socket-outlets shall not be installed where the withdrawal of a plug from the socket-outlet is restricted by a permanent fixture or fitting within the installation."

Of course, I leave it to you (and others) to interpret this "Rule" in regard to that which you propose.