Hire the best Electrician

Ceiling fan wall controllers

Apprentice (new member)

Default Ceiling fan wall controllers

Hi guys - I'm new here, go easy on me.

I recently had ceiling fans installed, and the included wall controllers look cheap and hideous. I'd like to have them replaced with something that matches the other switches throughout the house.

Upon inspection of the old light switches that were removed by the electrician, they are Hager brand (they are the same throughout the house) - so to keep it consistent I'd like to order new Hager dual gang wall plates with one switch and one fan controller (to be fitted by electrician).

I have found the appropriate wall plates and switches, but what i'm not sure of is which fan controller I need. There are two made by Hager that appear very similar, but are priced very differently - and I want to make sure I get the right part.

So - the two fan controllers in question are:

https://www.hagerelectro.com.au/e-ca...3-mw/43906.htm

https://www.hagerelectro.com.au/e-ca...10r3/29297.htm

It seems that the first link has a capacitor included (~$75), whereas the second does not (~$15) - is that correct? The way I see it, I can buy the $75 controllers and save the sparky some parts/work, or buy the $15 controllers and have the sparky supply/install capacitors - am i on the right track? $75 seems a bit steep tbh, and there are 4 controllers that I'd like to replace.

Thanks.

4K Club Member

One Hagar unit appears to be a fan controller, the other just a simple switch mechanism. If you have existing controllers, it may be possible for the existing controller to be installed in the wall and connected to the Hager switch mechanism. Ask your electrician.

If you are changing the controller You need to ask the fan manufacturer whether the controller is suitable for the fan. Different fan motors will need different controllers; if the wrong one is used, the speeds will be haywire.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks so much for your response - thatís very helpful. Iíd really like for the fan controllers to match the style of the rest of the light switches in the house, but it appears itís going to be an expensive exercise. I might just let the sparky provide the parts and Iíll just check out what brand/options they have available before engaging them.

Community Moderator

Agree with the above post one is a rotary switch the other a fan controller.

With seperate fan controllers that don’t come with the fan you pay your money and take your chances as compatiblity is an issue as to how well they work.

Hi tandem, can you change your profile location from Australia to be more specific, state level as a minimum. It helps with advice regs, services, products etc.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for all the responses so far guys.

Okay - so to change the controllers all to Hager, it looks like I'd be up for ~$400 in parts alone, before engaging the electrician. I assume something like below from Bunnings would do the trick (definitely looks nicer and better quality than the ones I have now). Can anyone chime in as to how I might check compatibility with my fans, which are Fanco Urban 2's (AC motor)?

https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-x6-...oller_p4430763

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by tandem View Post
    Can anyone chime in as to how I might check compatibility with my fans, which are Fanco Urban 2's (AC motor)?
    I can't get the Bunnings page to load so I can't comment on that controller. Compatibility and suitability are two seperate and distinct issues. Just because a controller is compatible ( i.e. works) does not mean it is suitable (i.e gives a range of useful fan speeds between flat out and off). Your best bet is to ask your electrician or the fan supplier for recommendations. After all you are going to need their help to sort out any problems, and neither will be inclined to do that if you supply the bits yourself and then don't like the result.

However, as I already posted, it should be possible to use the Hager rotary switch with the original Fanco circuitry hidden behind, if your electrician is willing to do so. If you are happy with the original speed control, then nothing will change except the aesthetics of the switch plate.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    I can't get the Bunnings page to load so I can't comment on that controller.
    DETA X6 Fan Speed Controller

I/N: 4430763

$25

4K Club Member

Thanks PHIL. The Deta catalogue says it is a capacitor fan control. If the capacitor values are correct for the Fanco fan it will work OK. Otherwise it should be possible to swap the capacitor from the original Fanco control into the Deta control, same as my comment above re the Hager rotary switch.

Apprentice (new member)

Thanks for the responses everyone.

I ended up just buying the Deta ones linked above from Bunnings and had my sparky install them this afternoon. They appear to be working identically to the old ones, but look much nicer - so it all worked out. I still would have preferred the Hager ones to match the look, but I couldn't bring myself to pay around $100 p/wall plate.

Edit: in case anyone is interested, the Fanco fans came with this awful looking controller https://www.martecaustralia.com.au/p...-light-switch/