Hire the best Electrician

changing double GPO to 4 GPO

3K Club Member

Default changing double GPO to 4 GPO

Hi all.

I have a double GPO where the tv sits. I've been using a double adapter on one of the outlets so it'll take tv, dvd player and foxtel. I now need to plug in a transmitter for wireless bluetooth headphones as well. It's pretty ugly and I assume not the best arrangement to be using adapters. I'm wondering if it's a big deal to change it to a 4 outlet GPO. Is it a simple swap or is there more to it? Not doing it myself of course. Just want to know before I decide whether to just get a 4 outlet powerboard/adapter or change it on the wall. All the wiring is pretty new, about 2 years old or possibly less, including the power board. Thanks for any input.

Cheers, Su.

JB1
    1K Club Member

Default Re: changing double GPO to 4 GPO

I think most electricians will just install another double GPO.

I would also do this, especially if its hidden behind something so it doesn't bunch up all in one place.

However if its just for foxtel, DVD and Bluetooth which are all low current devices I'd just use power board.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Considering that I purchased one the day before xmas (for installation by a licensed electrician, of course), it's a simple swap. Mounts on the existing screw holes plus there are four extra screw holes at the corners (typically). Again typically, they are somewhat thicker than existing points - about double the thickness. If it's for shed use (frequent plugging and unplugging and heavy draw appliances) I'd tend to go for the Clipsal model rather than the cheap@rse ones.
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

Community Moderator

I was going to do the same thing myself but the 4 gang GPO is at least almost three time the cost of two double GPO's and they have a significant drawback.
    The drawback is spacing as most items are plug packs and a plug pack can render a double GPO to a single due to their size. I have resorted to using left and right double adaptors to just fully use a double GPO so I never went ahead with it.
    In my opinion not worth the effort if you can hide the power board behind the tv etc.

Having a second GPO installed would be more work than having one of these clipsals 4 way GPO replacing what is there now http://updates.clipsal.com/ClipsalOn...s/W0001064.pdf

I had a 4GPO installed recently - it used the exact same wall cut-out as a regular GPO, so your upgrade will be very quick and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    I was going to do the same thing myself but the 4 gang GPO is at least almost three time the cost of two double GPO's and they have a significant drawback.
    4 WAY GPO DOUBLE POLE WHITE | Domestic outlets | Electrical Wholesale | Rexel Electrical Supplies

This ebay seller has them for under $20 and says they are Australian approved. Would be a chinese version (chinese like everything now). Any comments as to the approval validity!4 Gang GPO Power Point Quad Socket Outlet 4G GPO 4 WAY | eBay

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    This ebay seller has them for under $20 and says they are Australian approved. Would be a chinese version (chinese like everything now). Any comments as to the approval validity!4 Gang GPO Power Point Quad Socket Outlet 4G GPO 4 WAY | eBay
    Seems OK from what I see much cheaper then Clipsal and I would expect quality to be less as well.

I buy of ebay and I judge the price on the item and weather I want to go ahead with it, so for small purchases I will buy from China direct. For something like this or other more expensive item I will buy in Australia but only from a supplier who has a store on the ground not in a backyard shed. I cannot see any way to contact this supplier other then by email so unless he has better contact details eg street address land line phone I would give them a miss.

Bunnies has a $20 one (Deta brand), which happens to be the one I purchased. They also have a five outlet model if you like a bit of one-upmanship.
    DIY electrical house wiring details suitable for Australia - http://goo.gl/9d33T (PDF file)

1K Club Member

It's a very simple swap assuming no issues with the wiring itself. Remove double outlet, disconnect it, connect wiring to 4 outlet, put the screws in the same place where the ones for the double outlet came out. All very easy BUT is is legally a job for a licensed electrician of course.

As for brands, as a licensed electrician I'll say this. If the aim is cheapest price and quality isn't an issue then by all means get whatever brand as long as it's approved for use in Australia. But don't be surprised if it fails and/or is recalled due to risk of fire or electric shock not too far in the future.

If you want quality then buy Clipsal, simple as that. A lot of their stuff is Australian made (factory is in SA) and what they don't make locally is a decent quality import from major overseas manufacturers. The cost is often higher, but you do get what you pay for in this case - there's plenty of 50+ year old Clipsal stuff still in use whereas some of the cheap import gear falls apart alarmingly fast and ends up being a false economy if you need to get an electrician back to swap it over or it burns the house down.

All that said, there's nothing inherently wrong with using a power board to connect your TV, audio equipment etc as they don't use a large amount of power. For a normal domestic setup, even plugging the whole lot into the one power board isn't going to overload anything with the normal sorts of equipment that someone would have at home.

Obviously this doesn't apply to a large commercial installation (shopping centres, nightclubs, whatever) if you've got 25 plasma screens put together to appear as one huge screen and a great big sound system too - in that case you definitely need an electrician and you'll likely need dedicated circuits and a suitably rated switchboard to run it all with. But no problems with normal equipment at home.

Surely just using a powerboard with added surge protection and wide spacings for plugs is the best / cheapest / easiest option Su ?

Quote Originally Posted by ringtail View Post
    Surely just using a powerboard with added surge protection and wide spacings for plugs is the best / cheapest / easiest option Su ?
    Would be my first choice....but for some odd reasons, may not always suffice.

3K Club Member

Lots of great responses. Thanks heaps guys.

Lets see, as far as aesthetics go, a power board is low on my list and so that's the only reason for a 4 way GPO, in my case.

5 way sounds even better so there'll be one spare for say the portable fan on hot days or whatever else. Maybe a bit too full on tho?

There's already a foxtel outlet and a tv aerial outlet in that area of the wall and not neatly in a row so putting in another double powerpoint will sort of add to the mess.

In this case, none of the plugs or transformers inhibit the use of plugs next to them so four in a row will be 100% useable.

Cost isn't an issue and would definitely get a clipsal. When I consider cost factor, I just think of all the beers I've drunk in the past and how much more that's cost. Way more than the difference between a cheap and expensive item.

I've noticed that I'm generally a middle of the road purchaser or buy top of middle range in most things and best quality when it makes sense to. Hardly ever cheapest.

Anyway, glad to know it's just a case of swapping it over. I'll call the leccy.

Cheers, Su.

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post

Cost isn't an issue and would definitely get a clipsal. When I consider cost factor, I just think of all the beers I've drunk in the past and how much more that's cost. Way more than the difference between a cheap and expensive item.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post
    Yeah. Saved a lot of money lately since both of us have drastically cut back on the beer intake. Not last nite tho

So with the beer goggles off, are you doing the sensible thing and getting a powerboard ?

3K Club Member

So with the beer goggles off, are you doing the sensible thing and getting a powerboard ?
    Nah. Maybe. I still have to build a new tv stand (got some nice timber waiting) and if I can be bothered to make it with an out of sight place to put a powerboard, that'd satisfy my neatness obsession.

Quote Originally Posted by shauck View Post
    Nah. Maybe. I still have to build a new tv stand (got some nice timber waiting) and if I can be bothered to make it with an out of sight place to put a powerboard, that'd satisfy my neatness obsession.
    How about making the stand with a hidden powerboard cubicle accessible from the front.

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    How about making the stand with a hidden powerboard cubicle accessible from the front.
    I've been wanting to do a simple, modern look with some nice slabs of recycled timber I got from Timberzoo in Geelong. Awesome place by the way. Not cheap tho. If I can make it with enough room, as it depends of course on the width of materials I already have, I'd like to section of the back of the shelf with a half height wall to block view of the powerboard and cords. In PDF, the outline is darker to show the divider wall. Problem is, we have a pretty old DVD player and I don't know what we'll replace it with. If I can find a player that has much smaller dimensions, including depth, that'll make it possible. Something nice and compact but not ridiculously expensive.

tv stand.pdf

4K Club Member

Almost any of the current generation of Blueray players would be less than 30mm high but not much narrower or shallower.
    Personally I would rather use a dedicated powerboard for the protection the give the associated equipment, one big power surge or lightning strike nearby and poof goes all the expensive audio/visual gear and computers.
    They are visually obtrusive but can be easily hidden although as I am constantly reconfiguring gear i like mine where i can unplug easily
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

Quote Originally Posted by Moondog55 View Post
    Almost any of the current generation of Blueray players would be less than 30mm high but not much narrower or shallower.
    Personally I would rather use a dedicated powerboard for the protection the give the associated equipment, one big power surge or lightning strike nearby and poof goes all the expensive audio/visual gear and computers.
    They are visually obtrusive but can be easily hidden although as I am constantly reconfiguring gear i like mine where i can unplug easily

I agree with this but from what I understand, these spike arresters may not do what they say they do.

I've found Blu-Ray devices a pain in the @rse.

My recommendation would be to skip them altogether. Slow to start and load, more disc read problems than DVD (brand new discs either mosaic-ing or providing audio only or frequent picture freezes/skipping). My TV has both a USB connection and a LAN connection so I use those sources instead.

Latest disappointment was the two-season set of Game of Thrones, with disc 1 unplayable due to freezing and skipping. My pirated copies are perfect, while the stuff I pay for ends up unwatchable; just how is this encouraging me to buy rather than pirate content?

I find my xbox to be excellent for playing discs and far more reliable than any other device I have / had.

as for the original issue, a powerboard is the only way to go I reckon. Proper dedicated board for plug packs with surge / spike protection has to be better than a GPO, regardless of whether they actually offer the protection they claim. A gpo has zero protection so no harm no foul.

The powerboards with surge protection may not protect your equipment in the event of a lightning strike.
    However it is easier to unplug a powerboard when there is an electrical storm in the area than three or four appliances.

1K Club Member

The surge protection in a power board won't do much good in the event of a direct lightning strike, but it will help under some circumstances.

The surest way to blow up your electronics in a storm is to have something connected externally (eg an antenna or a phone line (but not optical fibre eg NBN) and also earthed. Eg your TV plugged in, thus earthed, and also connected to an antenna. You end up with a path to earth via your TV, computer etc - a pretty sure way to blow if up if there's a lightning strike nearby (it doesn't need to be a direct hit, especially if it's a phone line that's connected).

Note that simply turning the switch off at the power point doesn't disconnect the earth. You need to physically pull the plug out to do that.

Lightning isn't the only risk but it's the most common. I know of one incident where a CCTV system was destroyed when an outdoor works crew (not the electricity company, I think they were just doing road works) put a jack hammer through a high voltage cable underground. Nobody was seriously hurt thankfully, but the resulting rise in earth potential near the point where the cameras are monitored which is close to where the incident occurred (this was a large system not just in a shop or house etc - think of a big control room full of monitors and someone paid to sit and watch them) lead to a current flow down the copper cables to the cameras some distance away which were also earthed at that end as well. Boom! The other equipment survived but quite a few cameras were burnt to a crisp and had to be replaced.

The power industry takes lightning a lot more seriously than most people realise. For example, if there's lightning in the general vicinity of a transmission line then it is assumed that there's a reasonable chance of a strike to the line or close enough to cause it to trip. On that basis it's reasonably common to shift power production around to minimise the consequences if a strike does occur. For example, if there's a threat to the lines between one particular power station and the rest of the grid, then assuming there is sufficient power available from elsewhere at the time, output of that power station is reduced to a level where a sudden loss of the transmission lines won't cause widespread blackouts.

It's fairly common in practice. There were 8 separate threats to lines in Vic and Tas on the 26th December and, since power demand was low at the time, all were resolved by means of shifting production to different power stations that had spare capacity at the time. Doing so costs money, at times of low demand it's only the most economical power stations that are running so shifting production means using those which cost more, but the lightning threat is always taken seriously.

Back to your TV etc, if there's lightning around then unplug it especially so if it's connected to an external antenna or a phone line.

3K Club Member

Back to procrastination mode then. Looking for a compact DVD player. Arrgh! Hate looking for stuff like this because I don't really understand any of it.

Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    I had a 4GPO installed recently - it used the exact same wall cut-out as a regular GPO, so your upgrade will be very quick and easy.

As an electrician, i hate the idea of using these things. As for it being easy to swap, yes it is. But if a sparky was going to install a new power point beside the existing, it would still be cheaper than swapping a double to a quad.

a double power point (clipsal) trades at about 6 bucks. Probably selling to a customer for 10. 300mm of cable is probably not even a dollar when charged out. plus a c clip and about 3 minutes labour.

Opposed to having a sparky come and swap your power point which probably cost you 30 bucks, and charge the same in labour as per normal call out rates.

Just get an xbox Su.

4K Club Member

Default Surge protection in power boards?

Smurf I may start a new thread and ask you to explain the reasoning behind your statement [ speaking as a stereofool who has them in multiples] so I can get an idea of the real facts
    "A big boy did it and ran away"

Legal disclaimer denying responsibility to be inserted here.

3K Club Member

Just get an xbox Su.
    I haven't played video games since Galaga was the best new thing .

I looked at the dimensions and there are DVD players with less depth. If I'm going to be able to get a powerboard in behind the equipment, I think the less depth to it the better. This DVD player Sony DVPSR320 Midi DVD Player - TV & Home Theatre - Home Entertainment Bonus - DVD Players | Harvey Norman Australia is the best I can find so far and although it's length is less than our existing player, it's depth is the same so probably not worth the trouble of changing over.