Hire the best Electrician

Circuit naming conventions

ajm
    Golden Member

Default Circuit naming conventions

Morning folks. our power just tripped out the RCD and refuses to go back on. have called the electrician and he will be here this afternoon. in the meantime, i am trying to isolate the issue. have pulled all plugs out and turned off all GPOs. have isolated it to one particular circuit on the board and it is labelled F P1. its in the second position on the board. first is B P2, then L1, AC, Cook top and Oven. L1 is lights, AC is air con, Cooktop and oven are self explanatory. So, what are the B P2 and F P1 circuits? I think they must be GPOs. The GPO i am plugged into is working which is on B P2 so am thinking that the house is split across two circuits when it comes to outlets. Would this be a usual type of set up?

Community Moderator

Looks like he ran out of room for decent label, can you put up a pic?

ajm
    Golden Member

knew i forgot something important.

imagine: sparky has come early. must be going to be a good day!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails img_20210507_100202.jpg  

Would it be B for back and F Front!

3K Club Member

You have one circuit off so it is simple enough to walk through the house seeing what is working and what is not on the other circuit.
    If you have to, use a hair dryer/drill/ or an electric tool/appliance of your choosing
    then, write down what is working to that circuit.
    Just plug the dryer/tool in already switched on and turn on the power point, but use common sense, don't plug in a power saw with the blade uncovered and watch it scoot across your floor.
    If it works then go to the next pp.
    Then turn on the faulty circuit and test each power point with dryer/electric tool etc until it drops out and with this work done you may be able to tell sparky which one is showing up as faulty.
    Once you have it written down do a copy, one for your files and one for inside the meter box/switch box.
    This will save the sparky time and you money.

ajm
    Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Would it be B for back and F Front!
    looks like it. whoever did it, named it the other way around to how we refer to it. B is for the part of the house closest to the front though and F is at the back.

ajm
    Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    use common sense, don't plug in a power saw with the blade uncovered and watch it scoot across your floor.
    no fear there, Cyclic. will put in my lap for safety.

ajm
    Golden Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    You have one circuit off so it is simple enough to walk through the house seeing what is working and what is not on the other circuit.
    If you have to, use a hair dryer/drill/ or an electric tool/appliance of your choosing
    then, write down what is working to that circuit.
    Just plug the dryer/tool in already switched on and turn on the power point, but use common sense, don't plug in a power saw with the blade uncovered and watch it scoot across your floor.
    If it works then go to the next pp.
    Then turn on the faulty circuit and test each power point with dryer/electric tool etc until it drops out and with this work done you may be able to tell sparky which one is showing up as faulty.
    Once you have it written down do a copy, one for your files and one for inside the meter box/switch box.
    This will save the sparky time and you money.
    actually, have just done this using a mobile phone and charger. phone makes a satisfying chirp when its plugged into charge.

We had this happen at a job last week, we had done some work there then a day later tripping of RCD.

Customer suspected we did as one thing wrong, ended up being a cheap non compliance led bulb had shorted out in one of the wall sconces at the other end of the house.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

ajm
    Golden Member

wish it was that simple metrix. sparky is scratching his head as we speak with a problem he can't find yet. he'll get there.

ajm
    Golden Member

and the winner is the sullage pump. great. new pump as well as big sparky bill. atleast the house isn't going to burn down or electrocute the family.

4K Club Member

I have had a leaking pressure pump trip the RCD sporadically until I finally managed to find the fault. It's such a pain when multiple MCBs share one RCD. I have now put an RCBO (combined RCD and MCB) on every circuit and got rid of the common RCD.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Quote Originally Posted by John2b View Post
    I have had a leaking pressure pump trip the RCD sporadically until I finally managed to find the fault. It's such a pain when multiple MCBs share one RCD. I have now put an RCBO (combined RCD and MCB) on every circuit and got rid of the common RCD.
    Last house used to have a circuit that if something like the vac was plugged in and you happen to pull the cord out while it was running, it would trip the circuit ended up being a faulty RCD.
    Yep, all new work our sparkys do now they put RCBO in, not sure if this is standard practice.
    Mieux vaut prévenir que guérir

ajm
    Golden Member

Default Circuit naming conventions

Nothing in this place is standard. We had long been suspicious of the electrical work purely based on the variety of GPOs spread around the place and the way they were installed. sparky was gobsmacked by the wiring behind these and spent quite a time rectifying what he could. It's going to be expensive but worth every penny.

Se

Golden Member

I know f*ck all about electrics and I don't touch them. But i love it when you talk dirty!