Hire the best Electrician

The conduit was found in the carpark

Apprentice (new member)

Default The conduit was found in the carpark

Hi,

Iím one of the committee and living in a strata small complex for 12 years. There is totally 5 units. Since a new owners had done the major renovations without approval. During the renovations, a conduit had been discovered and itís come up to and goes back to unit 3. However, the owners had denied any installation of the conduit while doing renovations. I had checked with pervious committee and unit 3 pervious owner who are moved out. They are confirmed never seen the conduit. Anyway, reported to SM and required technician for inspection (2 inspections had done).

As per the latest inspection report, stated ďFound cable is sub main for unit 5. Cable repair is very dangerous and was damaged from unit 3 renovations. Unable to determine how the join was installed due to it bring under concrete and even seen the original photos of damage. Suggested to removal of the render, so able to inspect the wiring. And installation of 2 boxes with proper conduit to make it safe and needs fire seals on the pipe work.

At this moment I am not sure the work can the following issues
    1) if removal of the render, the wiring can be identify goes where and have much more about itís specific purpose with the installation/connection from unit 3

2) is it possible to disconnect the wiring before installation of 2 boxes.........

Appreciate for any professional advise for this
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg   image.jpg  

Community Moderator

Are you sure it is 240v electrical?

Did the person doing the inspection have any electrical qualifications and the report said it is submains, how do they know that could supply a hydroponic marijuana plantation?

At this moment I am not sure the work can the following issues
    1) if removal of the render, the wiring can be identify goes where and have much more about it’s specific purpose with the installation/connection from unit 3

2) is it possible to disconnect the wiring before installation of 2 boxes.........
    1. Depends what they find underneath, it may just be a connection that has no markings
    2. Anything can be disconnected but without know what it’s purpose is you will not know what it will affect.

Without a proper assessment of the setup it is impossible to answer the questions, the comments from the report do not give sufficient information. Who provided the report ?

Apprentice (new member)

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post

Did the person doing the inspection have any electrical qualifications and the report said it is submains, how do they know that could supply a hydroponic marijuana plantation?

The inspection was taken by technician who is arranged from state management.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi droog, it was technician

Community Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by CindyC View Post
    The inspection was taken by technician who is arranged from state management.
    I have people who spray for pests and they call themselves "technician". You need to know if he is licensed and see the licence and he should have an electrical license to report in that detail on electrical matters for the report to have any value.

Who is "state management"?

2K Club Member

I suggest you consult an electrician.

Apprentice (new member)

Hi Bros,

Really? the technician is working in Matt Keene Electrical. The report was forward by the strata manger from Michael Roberts Management

Apprentice (new member)

I had requested strata manger ask electrician for reply the issues, but still waiting the response and quotation.

thanks

Community Moderator

I had requested strata manger ask electrician for reply the issues, but still waiting the response and quotation.

thanks
    That's all you can do for now. The next issue is who is going to pay for the repairs.

It looks like an issue for an electrician, you have been advised apparently by an electrician (don't use the term technician if it is a qualified electrician) that the cable has been damaged and needs to be attended to, the proximity to plumbing penetrations indicates this may be a dodgy attempt to hide renovation damage as you suggest.

Whatever it is you should work through your owners corporation, not through a forum like this one, the maintenance committee not only needs to work out what repairs need to be carried out but also who is responsible for the cost. However it must ensure the safety of the unit holders first and formost and carry out any repairs that are needed to make the place safe, irrespective of who did the damage.

This forum gives you nothing that you can use, only the reports by the appropriate trades can do that.

Community Moderator

Apprentice (new member)

Sorry, to make you confuse, I just refer to the report where stated technician attend site on......
    By the way, I had bring up the questions before approval the suggestion for further works, so put it on here for some advice till get back response from strata manager. Also, I had raised the concern who is responsible to cover the cost of repair. Anyway, this concern may be discuss later or put on the motion on AGM.

Guessing 'state management' is translation for an authority and technician might be a translation for an electrician. Bit hard to decipher!

Community Moderator

By the way, I had bring up the questions before approval the suggestion for further works, so put it on here for some advice till get back response from strata manager.
    Don't know about asking for approval as it is a must that it be fixed.

Jon
    Golden Member

Default The conduit was found in the carpark

Quote Originally Posted by phild01 View Post
    Guessing 'state management' is translation for an authority and technician might be a translation for an electrician. Bit hard to decipher!
    I read it as Strata Management

4K Club Member

It looks like a hole was put through the wall for a plumbing waste pipe, and the hole has severed the sub-mains cable (probably buried in conduit in the wall) to unit 5. Whoever bored the hole and damaged the sub-main has then either done or authorised a dodgy repair to get the power back on to unit 5, by cutting into the original sub-mains in the wall on either end of the waste pipes and putting in the bypass cable, then patching over with cement. The repair does not appear to comply with electrical codes.

This repair may be recent, but may even date back to the original construction of the building. The recommendation to install boxes, proper conduit and fireproofing seems perfectly appropriate. The unit 5 sub-mains is in a common part of the strata building so the repair would be a strata cost to be paid from the sinking or management fund that all strata members contribute to. The strata can then seek damages from the person or business that caused the damage, if they can be identified.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

Apprentice (new member)

Hi John2b,

appreciate for your professional advice.

4K Club Member

Hi John2b, appreciate for your professional advice.
    You're welcome, but please note that my comments are based on speculation only.
    Before you speak, ask yourself: Is it necessary, it is true, does it improve on the silence? - Baba

3K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bros View Post

Did the person doing the inspection have any electrical qualifications and the report said it is submains, ?
    Have to agree with you, and that is floor not wall as mentioned by John2B at #17

4K Club Member

Quote Originally Posted by cyclic View Post
    Have to agree with you, and that is floor not wall as mentioned by John2B at #17
    Thanks, obvious when it's pointed out.

Hi,
    1) if removal of the render, the wiring can be identify goes where and have much more about it’s specific purpose with the installation/connection from unit 3

2) is it possible to disconnect the wiring before installation of 2 boxes.......
    "Sub main" means its the power cable feeding to unit 5 supplying all it's power.
    At the main switchboard will be an isolator switch for unit 5 somewhere. The electrician will use that cutting off all power to unit 5 temporary.
    As per the electricians report this is a non compliant/dangerous repair and needs to be rectified.

It is highly likely for a proper repair to be done an concrete cutting tool will have to be used to expose some of the end of the cable. Not only to join it but to move it the required distance from the plumbing pipes. Expect it to take a a fairly significant amount of time, ie a day.